Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Phillysays

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
They may have adjusted the toe, but they most likely didn't fine tune it. They probably just put it "in spec". I first went to Firestone and purchased the lifetime alignment. Then I had them adjust the toe at 5 different settings (extreme ends of the JL spec, one in the middle, etc.) and I test drove it each time, made notes, then they adjusted it back to one of the ones that worked best for my particular JL. The only way to fine tune the toe setting to real world steering is to test it between each setting. Jeep dealerships will not do this for some reason. I asked Firestone before I purchased the lifetime alignment package if they would be ok with this procedure. They thought it was a very interesting idea and were actually interested in the results. It seems a waste of money to get the lifetime alignment deal when the only alignment adjustment on a Wrangler is toe, but it was worth it to dial in the exact toe setting that helped stop the wandering. Less wandering = less need to constantly correct the steering.

On the V41 steering stabilizer. I had mine changed too, and it caused problems. Then I got a 2nd V41 Steering stabilizer and the new symptom went away (pulling to the right). So there are new-bad ones, like anything else in parts.

What toe setting worked best for you? I did my alignment and only focused on the caster and it really helped with the wondering feel of the Jeep. Not sure if I can get the steering even better if I added more toe to the front wheels.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What toe setting worked best for you? I did my alignment and only focused on the caster and it really helped with the wondering feel of the Jeep. Not sure if I can get the steering even better if I added more toe to the front wheels.
+0.40° (spec is 0.20° +/- 0.20°). The only way to know if adjusting the toe will make steering better is to test several toe settings, for example test 0°, 0.10°, 0.20°, 0.25°, 0.30°, 0.35°, 0.40° and see which one vs the original setting drives the best. The combination of low PSI and high toe setting will put more resistance on the steering box reducing the looseness. My PSI is at 34 cold (door jam says 37). I rotate my tires every oil change and measure the inside and outside treads of all tires and they still have very even wear after 20K+ miles. I was concerned that 0.40° toe would make for uneven tire wear, but it didn't.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
+0.40° (spec is 0.20° +/- 0.20°). The only way to know if adjusting the toe will make steering better is to test several toe settings, for example test 0°, 0.10°, 0.20°, 0.25°, 0.30°, 0.35°, 0.40° and see which one vs the original setting drives the best. The combination of low PSI and high toe setting will put more resistance on the steering box reducing the looseness. My PSI is at 34 cold (door jam says 37). I rotate my tires every oil change and measure the inside and outside treads of all tires and they still have very even wear after 20K+ miles. I was concerned that 0.40° toe would make for uneven tire wear, but it didn't.

do you think putting this extra resistance on the steering box will have long term effects on its longevity?
not that you can make it worse .. just curious if this band aid has a potential problem it can cause in the. future that would not be a warranty issue

Sponsored

NCPolock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Software
So I picked-up my Rubicon from the dealership yesterday. v41 previously done and now had the new track bar (stiffer bushings) installed. Also show they torqued everything plus adjusted toe/alignment. While I'm still putting some miles in to determine if or how it's better, I will say it's "different". Deadspot that was typically ~ 1.5" in either direction of center wheel is now ~1.5 - 2" from center to the right. The deadspot has shifted to the right as much as I can tell?!?!?? Best I can tell the alignment is off bc when driving straight the steering wheel seems to be cocked to the right a bit. Still play as best as I can tell but tough to compare with steering being off. Going to drive a bit more.

I will say that with my dealership, Jeep Cares/Jeep Wave has been helpful and proactive. While I haven't updated them yet, I will do so once I know if/what is off. Still don't think my dealership "gets it" but they haven't pushed back....yet.

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I picked-up my Rubicon from the dealership yesterday. v41 previously done and now had the new track bar (stiffer bushings) installed. Also show they torqued everything plus adjusted toe/alignment. While I'm still putting some miles in to determine if or how it's better, I will say it's "different". Deadspot that was typically ~ 1.5" in either direction of center wheel is now ~1.5 - 2" from center to the right. The deadspot has shifted to the right as much as I can tell?!?!?? Best I can tell the alignment is off bc when driving straight the steering wheel seems to be cocked to the right a bit. Still play as best as I can tell but tough to compare with steering being off. Going to drive a bit more.

I will say that with my dealership, Jeep Cares/Jeep Wave has been helpful and proactive. While I haven't updated them yet, I will do so once I know if/what is off. Still don't think my dealership "gets it" but they haven't pushed back....yet.
It is difficult to make the adjustment that makes the steering wheel straight when there is that much slop. They need to adjust, test drive, adjust, test drive over and over until they get the steering wheel straight. Most Jeep dealerships won't spend the time necessary for that type of testing. Are you sure they checked torque? Did you watch them work on it? Look at the ball joint nuts cotter pin and see if it looks like it was bent with pliers vs a factory robot. And did they adjust toe to the max range of the spec as the Star Case says they should?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
do you think putting this extra resistance on the steering box will have long term effects on its longevity?
not that you can make it worse .. just curious if this band aid has a potential problem it can cause in the. future that would not be a warranty issue
As long as the Jeep dealership made the adjustment, it should not void the warranty. Especially when they are adjusting it within the factory spec. And the steering Star Case says to put the toe to the max of the spec. However, it could put extra strain on the steering box and cause it to fail after the warranty period is over, so yes, that is a risk. If you have a lifetime warranty, no worry, until the parts are no longer available. I asked a few dealers about larger tires. They said if the tires are a certain percentage in weight above the factory tires (I can't remember the percentage) that it could prematurely wear out parts like the steering box, which would void the warranty. Just keep the old rims and tires and put them back on before going to the dealer to get the steering box replaced.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2019 repurchased for steering issues among other things. my 2020 replacement drove better, but was still wandering on the highway and had the dead spot. I set my tire pressure to 32lbs, and added a fox Factory race ATS adjustable stabilizer and that helped a lot. then I picked up a set of the Mopar Lift LCA and had them put on. now it is like an entirely different vehicle. no more wandering, can drive easily with one hand. so with the AE steering box, new track bar and draglink ends that are on the 2020, and with a good stabilizer and Mopar Lift LCA it fixed all of the bad manners. still has a little play in the wheel but is 100% better. my next changes will be a new track bar and draglink, then tie rod. I am making one change at a time to see the difference. so far it seems like best bang for the buck is the Mopar LCA swap.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I had a 2019 repurchased for steering issues among other things. my 2020 replacement drove better, but was still wandering on the highway and had the dead spot. I set my tire pressure to 32lbs, and added a fox Factory race ATS adjustable stabilizer and that helped a lot. then I picked up a set of the Mopar Lift LCA and had them put on. now it is like an entirely different vehicle. no more wandering, can drive easily with one hand. so with the AE steering box, new track bar and draglink ends that are on the 2020, and with a good stabilizer and Mopar Lift LCA it fixed all of the bad manners. still has a little play in the wheel but is 100% better. my next changes will be a new track bar and draglink, then tie rod. I am making one change at a time to see the difference. so far it seems like best bang for the buck is the Mopar LCA swap.
Who performed all the work? Can you link the part to the LCA?

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I took my Jeep in yesterday, but they didn’t do anything because they wanted to take it back to stock (I put the Mopar LCAs, SM track bar, and Falcon 2.2 stabilizer) and I didn’t have the take-offs. I went back over in the afternoon and after talking more with the service advisor, it was clear that all they could do is look at it. They didn’t have an AE box (or have confirmation from FCA that there is such a thing). So I took it home.

The Jeep Cares rep called me twice today. Once was when he was messaging a FCA engineer, asking about the steering, did I drive with a tech, etc. I’ll hear back next week about the next steps. Right now, there isn’t any.

I’m glad to hear that your new JL is better.

Putting the Mopar LCAs was the first thing I did and that helped (got me to 6*). If I keep this JL, I’m going to put Metal Cloak adjustable LCAs to try a little more caster.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Who performed all the work? Can you link the part to the LCA?
Mopar part #68322798AA for the LCA's. you need 2.

I did the Stabilizer myself, and a local Off-road shop here in AZ did the rest of my work called Doetsch Off-road if anyone is looking for a good place. They also did the installation of my Motobilt underbelly skid system.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Mopar part #68322798AA for the LCA's. you need 2.

I did the Stabilizer myself, and a local Off-road shop here in AZ did the rest of my work called Doetsch Off-road if anyone is looking for a good place. They also did the installation of my Motobilt underbelly skid system.
Did FCA reimburse you?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Did FCA reimburse you?
No, my 2020 was driving like all other 2020's I have driven. I am pretty sure that a combination of all the cheap factory parts leave the steering less than ideal. I did all this on my own as I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, and had no desire to have multiple frustrating trips to a dealership to not make it any better. however, as it sits now it drives like a JK did with much less plan than a normal JL.

before I drove my 2020 home my salesman and I looked at a few weeks there JLs and a JT and then all had the same play (some even worse). at this point I am pretty sure they are just made like this, and if you want it tighter you need to do some of the things others have had success with. since I started with a 2020, I already had the update dated track bar, steering box and draglink link ends. the other items I had no issues doing myself.

For those with a 2018 or 2019, I would work with the dealership to get the new AE steering box, drag link and track bar and then put the aftermarket stabilizer of your choice on. then either the Mopar LCA swap from he 2" lift if you are stock, or adjustable LCAs t make sure you are at around 6* Caster. that was the most noticable change for me.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
No, my 2020 was driving like all other 2020's I have driven. I am pretty sure that a combination of all the cheap factory parts leave the steering less than ideal. I did all this on my own as I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, and had no desire to have multiple frustrating trips to a dealership to not make it any better. however, as it sits now it drives like a JK did with much less plan than a normal JL.

before I drove my 2020 home my salesman and I looked at a few weeks there JLs and a JT and then all had the same play (some even worse). at this point I am pretty sure they are just made like this, and if you want it tighter you need to do some of the things others have had success with. since I started with a 2020, I already had the update dated track bar, steering box and draglink link ends. the other items I had no issues doing myself.

For those with a 2018 or 2019, I would work with the dealership to get the new AE steering box, drag link and track bar and then put the aftermarket stabilizer of your choice on. then either the Mopar LCA swap from he 2" lift if you are stock, or adjustable LCAs t make sure you are at around 6* Caster. that was the most noticable change for me.
I don’t know what build date is, but I ordered 8/27 received 9/28.. do i have the new AE Steering, track bar, and draglink ends?
Sponsored