1. kobejo34

kobejo34 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I’d settle for driving like a dump truck.

RagTopDeluxe likes this.
  2. Tlebkcalb

Tlebkcalb Active Member

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle(s):
    19’ JL
    Liked:
    I totally agree, although the RPM shouldn’t fluctuate when parking. Same engine and transmission - different software logics.
    I’ve owned Wranglers since 1996 on and off thru out my life. Other than these BS, impressed how well mannered the JL is compared to every other one I had.

3. RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Julie
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Punk'n JLR
    Liked:
    Good point.

I *love* my JL, but can’t do anything with it because we’re not comfortable driving it anywhere beyond work because the steering.

4. Alpha Delta

Alpha Delta Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Wrangler JLU
    Liked:
    You already invested in some nice SS components, have you considered installing a full PSC steering overhaul, especially if you love your JL? I know the price is steep. Also, have you tried the preload adjustment on the box? I’ve read some successful stories but most do caution against it. I’m becoming very skeptical that they’re adjusted to spec at the factory. I’m wondering that since they’re aluminum now, they’re building in extra play so there’s no chance for significant binding and total steering failure to cover themselves.

We’ll be taking our JL for service to start with the basics (torquing all components to spec and alignment) and going from there. My wife struggles driving it and It’s getting annoying driving it on the highways. We will eventually be doing a CO/UT/AZ road drip from Maine to finally enjoy some legendary trails but there’s no way I’d go the way it drives now. We love our Jeep but the steering sucks with the constant wondering and the steering wheel play. It becomes especially pronounced after 60 mph.

5. Rdmitch

Rdmitch Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 wrangler Sahara (Special Walmart shopping cart edition), ford transit 250, Chevy equinox
    Liked:
    Mechanical designer and contractor
    Maybe you will have better luck, but the AE steering box was no better than the AD one.
    Sure wish these were adjustable so they could tighten up the response.

6. James Cole

James Cole Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JL
    Liked:
    They are adjustable... Its just not very clear to me why FCA doesnt want us to touch the adjustment.

7. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 wrangler Sahara (Special Walmart shopping cart edition), ford transit 250, Chevy equinox
    Liked:

That’s funny.....read my avatar

RagTopDeluxe likes this.
  8. RagTopDeluxe

First Name:
    Julie
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Punk'n JLR
    Liked:
    “Special Walmart shopping cart edition” :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

9. RagTopDeluxe

First Name:
    Julie
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Punk'n JLR
    Liked:
    That’s a thought — a very expensive thought, tho. I have also considered swapping out the drag link and tie rod with Steer Smarts. However, the dealer has mentioned taking mine back to stock to see how it does. Grrrrrr

Honestly, for the first time, I’m thinking about lemon law/buy back.

I drove it on the freeway this morning and was pondering the difference between it and the sport loaner I recently drove. That had a bit of play (maybe around one inch), but it still drove much better than mine. In my JL, it seems that in addition to the play, there doesn’t seem to be enough connection between the steering wheel and what the Jeep should do. I don’t know if that makes sense, but it’s not just play.

So what is the problem? I was sure it was the steering box, and it must certainly be part of it, but what else is going on?

10. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #4390 Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Just food for thought....and I’m no car mechanic. Hell I can hardly follow the manual.

Now, if the steering is loose, and you can move the steering wheel it a inch or so either way with no direct wheel reaction, wouldn’t it also work in the opposite way. Meaning the wheels can follow there own mind without you, as a driver feeling any change in the wheel?
    So you’re holding the steering wheel straight but the tires an move either way with out you having any input.
    If the steering was tight, it couldn’t wander. So what s the device/part that controls the tightness of the steering wheel ?
    I don’t see that as being a damper, tie rod or alignment items. I only see the direct link from the steering wheel to the mechanism as the gear box. Why can’t a dealer try to adjust a hair at a time and document the results?

So..if you went to a dealer lot, started a wrangler and the wheel is nice and tight, wouldn’t it be likely this was not a wanderer?

11. M0ondogy

M0ondogy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    None
    Liked:
    Add me to this problem.

Tires at 36 psi across the board.

Wife drove for the first time today and got in a tank slapper. I had the grab the wheel, hold it steady, and instruct her not to touch any peddle.

This should not be a thing at 55 mph.

I'm going to schedule an appointment with my dealer in the morning.

I'm going to read the thread in a couple of minutes here, but won't be done for a while. It's a big thread.

What's the solutions up to date from FCA and are they working?

12. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:

What’s a tank slapped ? Is that the same as a wobble

13. M0ondogy

M0ondogy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    None
    Liked:

Kinda. Tank slap is a motorcycle term, but it's the best word for this situation.

It's when the Jeep starts swaying side to side.
    Inexperienced drivers try to correct and end up flipped.

Any faster than 55 it would have flipped.

14. Rdmitch

First Name:
    Ross
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Learn something new every day here

Good luck with your dealer and enjoy reading the last bizzillion posts

15. HoundDude

HoundDude Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
    New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
    Liked:
    this is a new complaint I haven't heard before, I'm not sure you will find any help in this thread.

keep in mind that once you turn the wheel though the dead spot, the power steering may kick in abruptly. so if your wife was turning the wheel without getting a response (while in the dead zone), she may have overreacted and turned it too much (and power steering kicks in). and back and forth. driver induced oscillation. DIO.

welcome to the JL. file your complaint here:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

df007 likes this.