Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had my alignment checked and I'm at 4 degree caster right now. I heard those LCA will give you about a degree....I hope it's enough.
Oh that would be great if they improved the bushings. That was another reason to go with the after market ones, it's just the cost difference was huge and I couldn't decide between Teraflex, Synergy, Metalcloak or Clayton. Clayton was definitely the beefiest of them all but didn't say much about there bushings
My caster was 4.7 before the new LCAs.

The toe was way off when the dealer checked alignment: 0.05 on the left and 0.19 on the right. After: 0.13 and 0.12, much better.
Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I called a few dealers to find the difference between the 2 steering dampener part numbers on the recall status guide.

68284208AE has a April 15th date on it. 68251580AE (same one I have with issues) has a March 26th date on it and all the dealers are saying that’s the latest part in the system. Both will fit my Sahara, both also have restrictions on ordering, 1 per week.

Anyone have info on the difference regarding the part numbers.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
So I cancelled my order for my Mopar LCA's because I was afraid I wouldn't get enough caster from them, so I'm back at looking at adjustable ones. The two I have in mind are the Teraflex Alpine and the Synergy. The synergy is definitely a beefier LCA but it's over $100 more then the Teraflex and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. Anyone have first hand experience with either one of these? pros and cons?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I cancelled my order for my Mopar LCA's because I was afraid I wouldn't get enough caster from them, so I'm back at looking at adjustable ones. The two I have in mind are the Teraflex Alpine and the Synergy. The synergy is definitely a beefier LCA but it's over $100 more then the Teraflex and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. Anyone have first hand experience with either one of these? pros and cons?
What are your current caster numbers? The Mopar LCAs will add about 1.0 and you will want to make sure it doesn’t go beyond the caster spec range. The aftermarket adjustable LCAs can go beyond 1.0 but can mess up the pinion angle. Also, if you have any steering related problems in the future, or if there is an official fix ever out, most dealerships will say the warranty is void on any steering related issues if they see an aftermarket part. Just keep your original OEM parts and swap them back out before bringing your Jeep back to the dealer. Some dealers will even make notes during an oil change or other non related service that there are now aftermarket parts installed.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are your current caster numbers? The Mopar LCAs will add about 1.0 and you will want to make sure it doesn’t go beyond the caster spec range. The aftermarket adjustable LCAs can go beyond 1.0 but can mess up the pinion angle. Also, if you have any steering related problems in the future, or if there is an official fix ever out, most dealerships will say the warranty is void on any steering related issues if they see an aftermarket part. Just keep your original OEM parts and swap them back out before bringing your Jeep back to the dealer. Some dealers will even make notes during an oil change or other non related service that there are now aftermarket parts installed.
I hear ya about the warranty thing but I have never had luck with them in the past. To me, they always find a way to make you pay. I've already changed my stabilizer so they could say that voids the warranty.
My casters are at 4.0 and 4.1 so I figured with the Mopar ones would give me 5.0 and that doesn't seem to be enough from what I've been reading.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I hear ya about the warranty thing but I have never had luck with them in the past. To me, they always find a way to make you pay. I've already changed my stabilizer so they could say that voids the warranty.
My casters are at 4.0 and 4.1 so I figured with the Mopar ones would give me 5.0 and that doesn't seem to be enough from what I've been reading.
The caster specs vary based on which JL you have. Do you have a Rubicon, Sport or Sahara? If you go beyond the spec you could create a pinion angle problem.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Article: FCA being sued for Death Wobble
June 12, 2019

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...lleged-jeep-wrangler-death-wobble/1433767001/

The lawsuit, which was filed on behalf of Claire Reynolds, a New Jersey resident who owns a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4 x 4, accuses the company of offering drivers a "Band-Aid fix" in the form of replacing the steering damper if the vehicle is under warranty.

The lawsuit seeks damages for affected drivers in the form of a buyback program that requires FCA to pay drivers for defective vehicles and compensation for the loss of value to the vehicles. It also wants drivers to be provided with replacement vehicles while their repairs are pending.

The lawsuit also seeks punitive damages "for FCA’s knowing fraud that put drivers and members of the public nationwide at risk;" calls for regulators to order the company to issue a recall.

Looks like it is for the JK, but still, seeing the same steering damper “band-aid fix” comments on the JL forums

Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fca-being-sued-for-death-wobble.31589/

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Just finished installing mopar longer control arms , decided to throw a wrench on a few more bolts. I had tightened the ball joints previously. 1 tracking bar bolt (axle end) and the pitman arm were the only bolts that were tight. If your the do it yourself type , I highly recommend you check the torque on your steering.

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The caster specs vary based on which JL you have. Do you have a Rubicon, Sport or Sahara? If you go beyond the spec you could create a pinion angle problem.
I have a 2018 Rubicon. I've read that some people get great results with the caster being up to 6.0 on a Rubicon and I don't want to mess around with a fixed one that will give me 5.0 at best. I want the option of increasing if needed.
I also ordered the Yeti track bar so that will also "void my warranty".

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just finished installing mopar longer control arms , decided to throw a wrench on a few more bolts. I had tightened the ball joints previously. 1 tracking bar bolt (axle end) and the pitman arm were the only bolts that were tight. If your the do it yourself type , I highly recommend you check the torque on your steering.
What was your steering like before vs after tightening the loose steering components? What was your caster before and after the longer LCAs?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
They are supposed to implement a fix for the "death wobble" today.... We'll see how that goes..... As for the "stop sale " they are probably doing it to cut down warrenty and purging what inventory we have on the lots so peoples time isnt wasted in service would be my guess
Sponsored