Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, dealer has had my Jeep for two weeks, I was having them deal with loose steering, speed wobble, and wandering/not wanting to center. I was called in to go for a drive with Chrysler regional manager and tech manager. Guess what, it drives as designed is what I've been told, way better than previous Jeeps. I've lost my complete faith in Chrysler and will never purchase another product from them, absolutely disgusted.

I'm now going to take it to Northridge 4x4, have them put on a Teraflex stabilizer, I don't trust Mopar, and adjustable lower control arms. Fix it myself as others have done. Chrysler is not going to own that they've made a poor product. What a shame. I'm thru buying American cars, sad.
Many were told the same thing, "operates as designed". But test drive other JLs in the dealer's lot and find one that steers correctly. Then have them drive both so you have a comparison reference. They can't argue with that.
Sponsored

Grand_Slam

First Name
CW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Many were told the same thing, "operates as designed". But test drive other JLs in the dealer's lot and find one that steers correctly. Then have them drive both so you have a comparison reference. They can't argue with that.
I did call 3 Jeep service managers in my area, and they had never heard of the issue. I knew taking it in to the dealers would result in the typical “operates as designed”, “jeep thing”, etc., and use up 2 days waiting for nothing.

The problem of wandering and steering dead spot cannot be totally eliminated with the stabilizers, track bars, reducing tire air pressure, etc., since the problem actually deals with the electro-hydraulic power steering gear/box. It has to make you wonder why the steering box cannot be adjusted and is “frozen” from the factory. Take a look at NHTSA steering complaints for 2017, 2018, and 2019 Jeep Wranglers. In 2017 there were 7 steering complaints, none of which deals with wandering or dead steering. For 2018 & 2019 the steering complaints have skyrocketed to 531, and 24, both rising by the day. Please note the new aluminum steering box came out in 2018, and was not available as an option for 2017.

FCA knows of the issue, and by now likely knows how to fix it.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I did call 3 Jeep service managers in my area, and they had never heard of the issue. I knew taking it in to the dealers would result in the typical “operates as designed”, “jeep thing”, etc., and use up 2 days waiting for nothing.

The problem of wandering and steering dead spot cannot be totally eliminated with the stabilizers, track bars, reducing tire air pressure, etc., since the problem actually deals with the electro-hydraulic power steering gear/box. It has to make you wonder why the steering box cannot be adjusted and is “frozen” from the factory. Take a look at NHTSA steering complaints for 2017, 2018, and 2019 Jeep Wranglers. In 2017 there were 7 steering complaints, none of which deals with wandering or dead steering. For 2018 & 2019 the steering complaints have skyrocketed to 531, and 24, both rising by the day. Please note the new aluminum steering box came out in 2018, and was not available as an option for 2017.

FCA knows of the issue, and by now likely knows how to fix it.

And/or FCA would love to hear updates from dealers but since 95% of us get bullshit, "drives normally" Jeep isn't getting the full situation.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
And/or FCA would love to hear updates from dealers but since 95% of us get bullshit, "drives normally" Jeep isn't getting the full situation.
Which is true, but what Jeep is getting is a list of complaints via JeepCares

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
What is the source? It does drive better than when it was new.
Not sure the source, but Ive had two stabilizers and the new trackbar, plus computer updates. For the wobble, it gets better for short time after stabilizer, then returns. Dont let the bandaid make you feel the problem has been taken care of. Too many others with same experience as me to ignore.

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Weirdest thing; as of right now, my steering actually feels like I believe it's supposed to, and I haven't done a thing to it since I last put an update in this thread a couple of weeks ago

Last update was: I had attempted to adjust toe-in myself, didn't want to stress anything, but ended up rotating the tie rod a little in the process, which actually made my steering feel different, but not 100% fixed at that point. Still had some issues with loose feeling and not returning to center.

Now, a few weeks after doing that, the steering wheel pushes back against me when I make a turn, it holds itself pretty well while on center, and I don't feel like I'm getting pushed around when it's windy outside. And I haven't changed a thing.

I need to go back and see if tilting the tie rod in the opposite direction makes the loose steering re-appear, but I'm enjoying driving a stable Jeep too much right now. If I can figure out a way to recreate good and bad steering, it may give me a little more info on what to tell the dealership if I take it in for repair. It may tell them that tie rod ends, links, ball joints, etc., are not tight enough, or just poorly designed. The only other thing I would point to, then, is the steering box, since we're still not sure how the new design actually works, and whether it adjusts its power assistance based on any factors. Does anyone know if it adjusts itself based on any sensor input?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Weirdest thing; as of right now, my steering actually feels like I believe it's supposed to, and I haven't done a thing to it since I last put an update in this thread a couple of weeks ago

Last update was: I had attempted to adjust toe-in myself, didn't want to stress anything, but ended up rotating the tie rod a little in the process, which actually made my steering feel different, but not 100% fixed at that point. Still had some issues with loose feeling and not returning to center.

Now, a few weeks after doing that, the steering wheel pushes back against me when I make a turn, it holds itself pretty well while on center, and I don't feel like I'm getting pushed around when it's windy outside. And I haven't changed a thing.

I need to go back and see if tilting the tie rod in the opposite direction makes the loose steering re-appear, but I'm enjoying driving a stable Jeep too much right now. If I can figure out a way to recreate good and bad steering, it may give me a little more info on what to tell the dealership if I take it in for repair. It may tell them that tie rod ends, links, ball joints, etc., are not tight enough, or just poorly designed. The only other thing I would point to, then, is the steering box, since we're still not sure how the new design actually works, and whether it adjusts its power assistance based on any factors. Does anyone know if it adjusts itself based on any sensor input?
Be sure to take some white paint and mark your existing adjustment for toe-in so you can return it to where it is now. Regarding sensor input, drive around 45mph, without any other vehicles nearby, turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly between 10:00 and 2:00. Notice the tires don't over react. Now turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly and deliberately like you are drying to solemn between the gaps between in the white lines using the same 10:00 and 2:00 steering wheel reference. Notice how the tires react differently even though both times are between 10:00 and 2:00. This demonstrates how the power assistant reacts differently.

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Thanks -- I'll definitely be sure to mark parts that I adjust. As far as the power steering goes, I'm looking more for any info that been posted in marketing, interviews, etc., that might show that it adjusts the amount of assist based on temperature, traction control, driving conditions, etc. I don't believe my issue lies within the steering box or BCM, but just curious if there are any variables I can test against.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks -- I'll definitely be sure to mark parts that I adjust. As far as the power steering goes, I'm looking more for any info that been posted in marketing, interviews, etc., that might show that it adjusts the amount of assist based on temperature, traction control, driving conditions, etc. I don't believe my issue lies within the steering box or BCM, but just curious if there are any variables I can test against.
Search Google - Here is one search result -

https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/ei...ve-missed-about-jeeps-new-wrangler-jl-edition has a whole section dedicated to the new power steering.

Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering
Not only did Jeep upgrade its transmission for the 2018 Wrangler JL, but designers also made steering a bit easier and more stable thanks to a new electro-hydraulic system.

Previous JK Wranglers used hydraulic power steering which, in part, helped ease steering through the transfer of hydraulic fluid by the vehicle’s speed and amount of torque applied to the wheel. However, the addition of larger tires meant more muscle was needed to steer the vehicle – especially off road.

Electro-hydraulic power steering delivers a more natural steering feel and actually improves fuel economy. The steering system’s pump draws power from an electric motor that activates when it senses driver input and applies a variable amount of torque to assist the driver while steering.

This motor works with an adaptive engine control unit to monitor steering speed, steering wheel angle and vehicle speed. This allows for variable amounts of steering assistance to be applied when more is needed at low speeds, such as when off road, or less when at highway speeds.

The JL Wrangler’s steering knuckles also face outward into the wheel envelopes which improves steering stability while braking and enhances steering input, including bump steer when going over uneven surfaces.

According to Jeep, all this will improve steering stability and overall turning radius to where the vehicle steering wheel can go from lock-to-lock in 3.5 turns for 2-door models and 3.2 turns for 4-door models.

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
I have a 2019 with bad wandering (no wobble). They put on a trackbar, set alignment at .20 total toein, and put a fox stabilizer on it. I'm still complaining as it isn't right so now they want use a new factory stabilizer, loosen all bolts, retighten while on alignment rack. Refusing to replace steering box. There isn't anything left to replace.

I bought the LCA's from the 2" lift kit but don't want to put them on yet until I can be assured the steering box isn't toast.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2019 with bad wandering (no wobble). They put on a trackbar, set alignment at .20 total toein, and put a fox stabilizer on it. I'm still complaining as it isn't right so now they want use a new factory stabilizer, loosen all bolts, retighten while on alignment rack. Refusing to replace steering box. There isn't anything left to replace.

I bought the LCA's from the 2" lift kit but don't want to put them on yet until I can be assured the steering box isn't toast.
Is it bad wandering or loose steering? A bad steering box is usually associated with loose steering, not bad wandering. For wandering, it could be PSI, toe-in, caster, tires, bad drag link, steering stabilizer, loose steering components, etc. There is a newer drag link that came out in Feb 2019. Check out this video. There should be some lag between the steering shaft and the pitman arm nut, but not this much, which causes loose steering.

Note - This video is not mine, and is from another forum member.

Last edited:

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Its both wandering and looseness. I was told by the service manager that the new trackbar part number includes an updated drag link
My toe is set .20 in, tires at 32, a fox stabilizer, and updated track bar assembly. Only thing left is to try the PCM update and steering box.
I'll try and get under and see if mine is as bad as in the video. FCA really doesn't want to replace the box.

I love my Jeep but at this price point I do expect it to track better than my CJ7 down the road.