Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
I hear there may be things coming out soon from FCA regarding our steering...ie recall (pure rumors as of this point so thats all I'm going to say).

In the mean time if you want proper steering (or as good as a Jeep can be), here is what has solved mine:

Note: I can cruise down the highway at 75mph with no hands on the wheel. Mine is FINALLY where it should have been from the factory. I actually enjoy driving my JLUR now!

1. Get the TSB steering flash
2. Have dealer tighten the steering bolt (this is a slippery slope so I recommend you have the dealer do it)
3. Replace the stock steering stabilizer with a good one (Falcon EF 2.2 or Fox ATS)
4. Get aftermarket LCA's and increase your caster to 6.5 degrees (this is the holy grail...it will transform your Jeep!)
Just confirming what you mean by #2 - this is the 1/8" turn?
Sponsored

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
For me I have done the following and the steering is almost perfect (perfect is subjective) - that said I can tell you almost perfect is AMAZING. My changes as follows:
1. BFG Ko2s (34x10.5r17)
2. Dynatrac 2" lift (just got it)
3. Steermarts setup (tie-rod, drag-link, and track-bar)
4. Teraflex/alpine LCAs - currently at 24.25"
5. Hellwig rear sway

The steering is now FIRM and predictable - feels planted. Been driving around in the wet snow here in Chicago yesterday to test it. There's very little play in the steering, barely noticeable - feels like hydraulic steering. This is a lot changed - in fact an overhaul - so hard to isolate one thing to point to. I still plan to push those arms out another .25" and do the steering box bolt, but I'm splitting hairs at this point.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
For me I have done the following and the steering is almost perfect (perfect is subjective) - that said I can tell you almost perfect is AMAZING. My changes as follows:
1. BFG Ko2s (34x10.5r17)
2. Dynatrac 2" lift (just got it)
3. Steermarts setup (tie-rod, drag-link, and track-bar)
4. Teraflex/alpine LCAs - currently at 24.25"
5. Hellwig rear sway

The steering is now FIRM and predictable - feels planted. Been driving around in the wet snow here in Chicago yesterday to test it. There's very little play in the steering, barely noticeable - feels like hydraulic steering. This is a lot changed - in fact an overhaul - so hard to isolate one thing to point to. I still plan to push those arms out another .25" and do the steering box bolt, but I'm splitting hairs at this point.
If I am you, I will not touch the steering box. The box comes with preload tension and is not supposed to be tightened or loosen by users. Tighten it may have undesirable effects such as shorten the life span of steering gear. Since your steering is nearly "perfect" on a Wrangler scale now, knowing that regardless how you adjust steering box, you will not have it turns like a Porsche.

For the LCA length, you probably want an off-road 4x4 shop to do an alignment for you first. If your caster is enough, say 5.5, just leave it. Too much caster can have problem with pinion and also contribute to steering wobble.

GTOB521

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
When you guys take a right turn are you able to let go of the wheel and let the wheel turn back a bit on its own or do you guys have to do all the work? This is my first Jeep Wrangler so I’m not entirely sure if the steering is supposed to be so loose that I have to guide the whee back because it gives no feedback.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
That’s exactly the info I was looking for.
I asked because I mentioned a few things to the service lady on the phone and she threw a stop sign up immediately that I would need a warranty claim for them to be even thinking about looking at my Jeep.

All I had did was inquire on some sore of updates that might have released for my Jeep, but she did not take kindly to me asking that without any specific issues. I guess I’m a tech guy and I’m used to all of my stuff getting updates and fixes without me having to know the issues off hand lol

I will try to sweeten my way in. I inquired about a bad paint blemish I have that will need fixed and I was told won’t hear back for. A month which must be common but wow a month to say it should be fixed come off as odd as hell.
This is why I hate dealership. Vehicles today rely so much on control systems and programming that it just makes sense to inquire about any updates because it is like a computer. It shouldn’t matter if you experience any symptoms or why not.

I’m sure those with the airbag recall (on other cars) or cruise control issue (our jeeps) didn’t wait for the symptoms to happen before getting an update. I can just imagine the phone call or lawsuit.
Owner says....“I was told by the service tech that I needed to wait for symptoms...well the airbag just blew my arm off so I’m here to get that update.
Service tech says...well sorry to hear about your arm, we have an update that will take care of the airbag issue...Could you bring the vehicle in next month as we’re booked up until then.”

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
When you guys take a right turn are you able to let go of the wheel and let the wheel turn back a bit on its own or do you guys have to do all the work? This is my first Jeep Wrangler so I’m not entirely sure if the steering is supposed to be so loose that I have to guide the whee back because it gives no feedback.
i have to help it the last little bit

SaharaSarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited, Sting-Gray
Mine went in 2 days after i bought it, for the loose steering. They installed a new stabilizer.. felt tighter but still some play esp about 70mph or if trying to keep pace behind another car im still have to do too much to track straight.

I noticed after getting it "fixed" it wants to drag to the right all the time. Esp notice this went i quickly accelerate or decelerate. On right turns i have to slow down so that i can push the steering back to straighten out in time so i don't run off the road. Turning left the wheel rolls back to center on its own. I tried in the empty parking lot today turning right and it just keep going in that direction. Will be calling the dealership again tomorrow to bug the sh*t our of them.

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
2500 posts and really no help from FCA. Just words...we'll get back to you or they all do that. Crap steering is a Jeep thing...Here's the problem, some have good steering.

This will be my last FCA product. I made another large purchase error back in the 90's and it was the only other Chrysler product I've ever owned. Yep it was a Dodge Caravan and it was a disaster. Fooled me twice, but no more.

Sponsored

Blammmo_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr Rubicon
Well, almost 6,000 miles on my JL rubicon and no signs of steering improving as it is broken in.
Highway speeds at 50mph and up are just plain uncomfortable to drive. Constant adjustments to the wheel to the right and left to keep the Jeep in my lane.
The wheel seems to have about 1 1/2, to 2” of play and I am needing to constantly stop the vehicle from wandering.
I’ll be bringing it to the dealership to see what they can do but I’m not going to play games running back and forth as others have struggled with trying to get a remedy.
I’ll probably wait a bit longer to see if FCA comes up with a fix, if not I’ll be trading in and leaving them behind.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2500 posts and really no help from FCA. Just words...we'll get back to you or they all do that. Crap steering is a Jeep thing...Here's the problem, some have good steering.

This will be my last FCA product. I made another large purchase error back in the 90's and it was the only other Chrysler product I've ever owned. Yep it was a Dodge Caravan and it was a disaster. Fooled me twice, but no more.
Bye, enjoy your new Prius.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, almost 6,000 miles on my JL rubicon and no signs of steering improving as it is broken in.
Highway speeds at 50mph and up are just plain uncomfortable to drive. Constant adjustments to the wheel to the right and left to keep the Jeep in my lane.
The wheel seems to have about 1 1/2, to 2” of play and I am needing to constantly stop the vehicle from wandering.
I’ll be bringing it to the dealership to see what they can do but I’m not going to play games running back and forth as others have struggled with trying to get a remedy.
I’ll probably wait a bit longer to see if FCA comes up with a fix, if not I’ll be trading in and leaving them behind.
See above.