Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Different question. Check out this video at 5 minutes 30 seconds, he says that the rock in the tie rod causes twitchy steering that people hear about with hydraulic assist. Thoughts?

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Ok, agree but that only if you hydro assist installed. Hydro assist makes your steering very sensitive and if the install is wrong you’ll get some unwanted effects like twitch steering. The shop they used did it right, so their steering is spot on.

Some have even likened the JLs steering to feel like hydro assist since the electric pumps varies the amount of assist depending on conditions like speed, angle of steering wheel, turning speed, etc.

In the end, jeeps moved to an electric pump is an attempt to make the Jeep drive and feel more like a car since the new demographic for purchasing this vehicle is not the past Jeep crowd but the new millennials who want to have the Wrangler look but not deal with all the cons about owning a wrangler.

It was also inevitable based on technology that Jeep would move to an electric pump. Now they just need to keep working and fine tune the system so it doesn’t have any of the issues we’re seeing as new owners.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Think we’re digging to deep down this rabbit hole for the draglink. Everyone has said it moves a bit and even Kevin showed us in his video for the hydro assist install that it’s supposed to move.
The local 4x4 shop said it was not normal (they even put a pair of channel locks on the ball joint at the pitman arm end and showed me the excessive movement). They refused to proceed with troubleshooting until the drag link was replaced. Major clunk sound when it moves a lot. I pulled on a few of drag links on JLs at the local dealer. Some moved a lot like mine, some didn't - slight to no movement, but I was unable to test drive them to check out the steering. Plus Kevin said he had wandering issues at some point. So maybe a certain amount of movement is fine, but not an excessive amount. So, lets hear from some people who don't have steering problems on their JL to see what their test shows. Then I am willing to move on from the drag link. Also, tightening the adjustment on the steering box might be masking the a loose connection where the pitman arm connects to the drag link, which would explain why adjusting the steering box "fixed" some when FCA said it is not adjustable.

Last edited:

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Got it. Hard to track all the issues being looked at; tie rod vs drag link.

I’ll check mine when it stops raining. Although I did consider my steering loose a few months ago right now I feel it’s fine and probably on the better side of what most here on this thread are reporting.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Different question. Check out this video at 5 minutes 30 seconds, he says that the rock in the tie rod causes twitchy steering that people hear about with hydraulic assist. Thoughts?

I've owned and installed hydro assist on my JK's. If the positioning of the ram is not correct it will essentially push/pull the tie rod up & down first before turning the wheels. Having it perfectly parallel should make all forces push horizontally rather than allow for any vertical movement at the tie tod(The ends rotating up/down).
I think hydro assist was one of my favorite mods on the JK, not for the assist offroad, but for how nice it made steering on road especially at highway speeds.
I don't think adding hydro assist should be the "fix" for these problems, but I can see it making a big difference if it is anything like on the JK.

Oh, i have 3 JL's in our family. All of them have slight rotation in the draglink and tierod (tie rod being the lesser of the two.) On our 2019 the steering feels much better than the 2018's, but all have the same movement.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Oh, i have 3 JL's in our family. All of them have slight rotation in the draglink and tierod (tie rod being the lesser of the two.) On our 2019 the steering feels much better than the 2018's, but all have the same movement.
Out of curiosity, why do you think causes the 2019 steering to feel better than the 2018s? I compared the steering related parts list between the 2018 and 2019 and the only difference is the steering box (some 2018s do have the -AD version like the 2019 though) and the OEM steering stabilizer in the 2019 is the -AD version (but some 2018s have them as well). Oh, and the steering pump might be a -AD version as well. Yes, yes, I know a different suffix doesn't necessarily mean a fix, could mean a different vendor.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity, why do you think causes the 2019 steering to feel better than the 2018s? I compared the steering related parts list between the 2018 and 2019 and the only difference is the steering box (some 2018s do have the -AD version like the 2019 though) and the OEM steering stabilizer in the 2019 is the -AD version (but some 2018s have them as well). Oh, and the steering pump might be a -AD version as well. Yes, yes, I know a different suffix doesn't necessarily mean a fix, could mean a different vendor.
I think the problem is in the steering box(on ours).
Our 2x 2018 4 doors are far from stock, and I have been over all the joints/bushings etc to make sure they are to spec and don't have play. My Rubicon has a draglink flip kit, FOX ATS stabilizer and a raised adjustable track bar. I still have more play in the steering wheel than I would like(More than any of my past JKs). I didn't really think that much into it until our 2019 2dr arrived this Monday. Just turning it around the shop the steering felt much more "precise".

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think the problem is in the steering box(on ours).
Our 2x 2018 4 doors are far from stock, and I have been over all the joints/bushings etc to make sure they are to spec and don't have play. My Rubicon has a draglink flip kit, FOX ATS stabilizer and a raised adjustable track bar. I still have more play in the steering wheel than I would like(More than any of my past JKs). I didn't really think that much into it until our 2019 2dr arrived this Monday. Just turning it around the shop the steering felt much more "precise".
Do you have the -AD version of the steering box in both of the 2018s? It would be fascinating to swap the 2019 steering box and put it into the 2018 and put the 2018 steering box into the 2019.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the -AD version of the steering box in both of the 2018s? It would be fascinating to swap the 2019 steering box and put it into the 2018 and put the 2018 steering box into the 2019.
Our 2x 4doors have -AC boxes. I will get the 2019 2dr part number a little later on today when it's back home.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Our 2x 4doors have -AC boxes. I will get the 2019 2dr part number a little later on today when it's back home.
The 2019 according to the parts list is -AD for the steering box (the beginning part of the part number is the same as the 2018). It will be interesting if that matches what you see later today.

Sponsored

k.daddy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2019 Wrangler Moab
I just picked up my 19 Moab 2 days ago and am super excited. I was hoping to get some thoughts around my steering issues. Ive been reading some different opinions on "play" in the steering wheel and since this is my first Wrangler I don't have any experience to leverage. I already checked the tire pressure and it was set to 43. I lowered down to 37. If I hold the wheel straight the car will start going a little right.I feel like I am always turning the wheel to the left to go straight. If I let go of the wheel, the wheel naturally turns to the right a little. The area in that turn is the "play" Im feeling. When i hold the wheel straight and turn to the left there's immediate resistance. When I hold the wheel straight and turn to the right, I get some play before being met with resistance. I would appreciate feedback on whether there should be any "play" and why my wheel wont stay straight. Thanks!

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just picked up my 19 Moab 2 days ago and am super excited. I was hoping to get some thoughts around my steering issues. Ive been reading some different opinions on "play" in the steering wheel and since this is my first Wrangler I don't have any experience to leverage. I already checked the tire pressure and it was set to 43. I lowered down to 37. If I hold the wheel straight the car will start going a little right.I feel like I am always turning the wheel to the left to go straight. If I let go of the wheel, the wheel naturally turns to the right a little. The area in that turn is the "play" Im feeling. When i hold the wheel straight and turn to the left there's immediate resistance. When I hold the wheel straight and turn to the right, I get some play before being met with resistance. I would appreciate feedback on whether there should be any "play" and why my wheel wont stay straight. Thanks!
You should have the alignment checked and the tires balanced. If that doesn't take care of it, have them switch the tires on the left and the tires on the right to see if it starts to go to the left. Also, please post this concern at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...on-the-highway-before-taking-ownership.19978/ and https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering.19015/.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
It sounds like you are feeling the crown of the road. The play people are talking about is significant.

Check out this video of mine. This is tha amount of play that is in the steering. Has no effect on vehicle direction.

k.daddy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2019 Wrangler Moab
It sounds like you are feeling the crown of the road. The play people are talking about is significant.

Check out this video of mine. This is tha amount of play that is in the steering. Has no effect on vehicle direction.

WOW! Sorry you are dealing with that. Mine is nowhere close to that. I hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
WOW! Sorry you are dealing with that. Mine is nowhere close to that. I hope you get it sorted out quickly.
Well, just watched the video. To be honest my Jeep does the exact same thing if I swing the wheel back nd forth like that in a fast motion. It doesn’t equate to play in the wheel. Swinging back and forth like that my not feel it’s changing the direction if the vehicle because by the time the steering system starts to react to the movement towards the right you’re already swinging back to the left and so forth.

A better test for a dead zone or play in the wheel is to turn the wheel to the right one inch and leave it there for a few seconds. If your Jeep doesn’t react and start moving towards the right then you have a dead zone. Do the same to the left next.

I bet that your Jeep will move in the direction you turn the wheel even if you move the wheel only an inch.
Sponsored