Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

lagunajim

Mine has the loose steering also. It's not that bad if it's not windy, but 2 weeks ago we were having high winds in the area and it was hard to keep on the road. Between this and my radio not holding time, I'm beginning to have doubts about my first ever Jeep purchase. BTW, it only has 500 miles on it.
Don't get discouraged. I've owned two Jeeps with a third on the way. Mine had very few to no problems - you'll get yours dialed-in and you'll love it!
Sponsored

KeJaCo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1999 WJ
Occupation
SCADA Field Service Tech
He may mean the TSB doesn't apply to your Jeep. You can ask Jeep Waves to tell him to apply it anyhow.
Ask the dealer to apply TSB 08-092-18 anyway.
This afternoon when I picked up my Jeep they indicated "unable to verify concern" (go figure) And they stated pretty firmly "they will not do any PCM/BCM reflashes/updates if they can't find anything wrong to avoid messing anything else up but according to FCA [who they supposedly contacted throughout the past two days], there are no updates that affect steering either and that if I have been reading this on blogs the information is wrong." :cwl::cwl::cwl:

The weird thing is even thought nothing was done my Jeep seems to have much more responsive steering even though they were unable to verify my concern. However, I only took a short drive so my longer drives over the next few days will either prove or disprove this feeling.

If still no good I will see if JeepCares will be able to force the updates as the Jeep has to go back to the dealer anyways since they had to open a Star Case for my weird UConnect/Off Road Pages issue.

EDIT: I just checked out all the castle nuts, cotter pins and other steering related components and nothing appears to have been touched. Everything is just as dusty/dirty as they were with no finger prints or smudges but they did add air to my tires.

Last edited:

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Fireman
hey guys, my dealer I believe tightened my gear box 3/16 of an inch because they sell a ton of lifted brand new Jeep’s with aftermarket rims and tires on it. They read the forums and make an effort to figure out things without it coming from Jeep.

I been driving my Jeep for a week now with my gear box tightened and I have to say it’s a huge difference especially on expressway.

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Talked to the dealer today and a Jeep engineer asked them to install a data capturing device that I hit a button everyone the new is acting up. Wonder if it will just keep recording when I hold the button down? Between the shuddering, wondering and dead spot i may be pushing it constantly.

Told me to bring it back after I capture data. Guess I’ll drive it around the. Lock and front it back. Hopefully they find something but I am sure it will just confirm it “drives like a Jeep”

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
hey guys, my dealer I believe tightened my gear box 3/16 of an inch because they sell a ton of lifted brand new Jeep’s with aftermarket rims and tires on it. They read the forums and make an effort to figure out things without it coming from Jeep.

I been driving my Jeep for a week now with my gear box tightened and I have to say it’s a huge difference especially on expressway.
Did you go to Marino cjr in Chicago ? Another poster said they helped him with that adjustment .

Sponsored

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
Just got my extended lower control arms in today. I'm gonna start with those and then add the Fox performance steering stabilizer. If those don't help with the wandering I'll try a new track bar. On a side note can I replace the control arms on the ground or does the jeep need to be lifted ?

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fireman
Just got my extended lower control arms in today. I'm gonna start with those and then add the Fox performance steering stabilizer. If those don't help with the wandering I'll try a new track bar. On a side note can I replace the control arms on the ground or does the jeep need to be lifted ?
What brand extended lower control arm and steering stabilizer did you get?

I have the 2” mopar lift and the research I’ve come up with was getting teraflex extended lower control arm and steering stabilizer was the best route?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My understanding is that you lift it up off the wheels to remove the old ones and put the new ones on. Put the bolts through while still in the air, finger tighten the nuts. Then lower it on the wheels to tighten the bolts. But be sure to get that verified first.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I have the 2” mopar lift and the research I’ve come up with was getting teraflex extended lower control arm and steering stabilizer was the best route?
If you have the Mopar lift, consider this instead. The description is informative.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu-2-5-4-lift-front-lower-control-arm-drop-bracket-kit-pair

Also I called Teraflex and they were super helpful and very knowledgeable about the JL steering issues. Call them to confirm what you are trying to solve.

Sponsored

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I have the extended lower control arms from the Mopar 2" lift kit (68322798AA) and the Fox Racing Shox 2.0 steering stabilizer from Quadratec. But the stabilizer won't be available for like three weeks. So I'm gonna install the control arms first and see how it feels. My Jeep is stock height so those brackets from Teraflex won't work.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the replies. I have the extended lower control arms from the Mopar 2" lift kit (68322798AA) and the Fox Racing Shox 2.0 steering stabilizer from Quadratec. But the stabilizer won't be available for like three weeks. So I'm gonna install the control arms first and see how it feels. My Jeep is stock height so those brackets from Teraflex won't work.
My comment about the Teraflex bracket was specifically for Tl5glenn since he has the Mopar lift. Sorry for the confusion. Also, that's good that you are doing one at a time. That way you know what item fixes what problem. Do you have loose steering and drifting or just one, or something else?

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My jeep was terrible at first, it was a struggle to keep it in my lane. In fact it was a white knuckle experience driving through down town Atlanta. My wife drove it once to work in Atlanta and would not drive it anymore. But after 6 months and 6000 miles it has gotten a lot better. I don't know what part or parts could have broken in but it is 90% better. It still likes to wander this way or that, sometimes it tracks straight and then drifts to one side. So I'm gonna start with the longer control arms (less than $100), then move to the steering stabilizer ($135), and last new track bar. I'm hoping one or all three will get that last 10% and it will drive like a dream...............

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fireman

I have the 2” mopar lift and the research I’ve come up with was getting teraflex extended lower control arm and steering stabilizer.
If you have the Mopar lift, consider this instead. The description is informative.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu-2-5-4-lift-front-lower-control-arm-drop-bracket-kit-pair

Also I called Teraflex and they were super helpful and very knowledgeable about the JL steering issues. Call them to confirm what you are trying to solve.
just ordered this...
Sponsored