Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Periokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLUR and some others.
Has anyone put a JL on a lift (wheels off the ground) and tried to move the front wheels left and right? I bet the wheels can be moved left and right a bit without the steering wheel moving. That would show how "disconnected" the whole steering system is.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Has anyone put a JL on a lift (wheels off the ground) and tried to move the front wheels left and right? I bet the wheels can be moved left and right a bit without the steering wheel moving. That would show how "disconnected" the whole steering system is.
Interesting .

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got a call earlier about my replacement JLUR. The welds looks passable when I inspected it. The steering, on the other hand, and when I test drove it, was more of the same wandering and loose, all over the road, see-sawing that is like my current JLUR that is being turned in.

My FCA rep called and said the dealership service tech drove it and said the steering was "fine" and drove like it should. :( Now, the service manager is going to drive it and provide his feedback.

I'm quite certain he will also say there is no issue. So, my question to this group is -- how do we, as owner's of these expensive vehicles, get anyone at a dealership to actually acknowledge that there is an issue with the steering? I know there are some that have posted that their dealership service advisor or someone in that dept. drove their Jeep and agreed there was an issue with the steering. I just don't get why many other dealerships are saying there is nothing wrong. It's baffling to me and I'm sure others here too.

As Brandon (JeepInformant) stated in his last video about the steering box issues, he believes Jeep is working on and will issue a real fix for the steering problems. I just don't feel great about accepting a vehicle based in a pipe dream of a possible fix.
To get the dealership to confirm there is a steering problem, go on the test drive with them to make sure they drive it on a busy highway for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Most won't because they think the problem is in your head and they don't have time to be on a test drive. This should make them see how dangerous it can be when trying to correct for road curves, wind, 18 wheelers, lane changes, etc. Also, stand outside of the Jeep when with the engine on, in park, with the driver's window down so you can see the tires. Put your hand on the steering wheel and demonstrate the 1 to 4 inches in steering wheel movement before the tires turn. There should be some play, but not a ton. This will demonstrate the loose steering symptoms. To demonstrate the drifting problem, show them how it doesn't even come close to returning to center after a turn in a parking lot. If all else fails, take it to another dealer (2nd opinion).

Sponsored

Wendo327

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Got a call earlier about my replacement JLUR. The welds looks passable when I inspected it. The steering, on the other hand, and when I test drove it, was more of the same wandering and loose, all over the road, see-sawing that is like my current JLUR that is being turned in.

My FCA rep called and said the dealership service tech drove it and said the steering was "fine" and drove like it should. :( Now, the service manager is going to drive it and provide his feedback.

I'm quite certain he will also say there is no issue. So, my question to this group is -- how do we, as owner's of these expensive vehicles, get anyone at a dealership to actually acknowledge that there is an issue with the steering? I know there are some that have posted that their dealership service advisor or someone in that dept. drove their Jeep and agreed there was an issue with the steering. I just don't get why many other dealerships are saying there is nothing wrong. It's baffling to me and I'm sure others here too.

As Brandon (JeepInformant) stated in his last video about the steering box issues, he believes Jeep is working on and will issue a real fix for the steering problems. I just don't feel great about accepting a vehicle based in a pipe dream of a possible fix.
My dealership has no idea what they are doing. They are relying on the field tech who says "it is driving as designed and consistent with all other wrangler JL Rubicon with BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires". Goes on to state these tires are contributing to the conditions I am complaining about.
I have started the process for new car lemon law and reported the issue to NHTSA.
I'm at a loss as to what else I can do.
Ridiculous!

bmrrwolfe

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2005 Grand Cherokee
I made an appointment for my Sahara, at my local dealer. (they were confused when it was not in their system, since I bought my last last new Jeep from them and always use them for service, but they were less then fair on my trade in this go around, I went else where and got an extra $2,500, hope this doesn't effect my service..) but when I mentioned the issue of the excessive play/looseness, the advisor said hes never heard of the issue on the JL. I already printed off the TSB to have in hand just in case.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I made an appointment for my Sahara, at my local dealer. (they were confused when it was not in their system, since I bought my last last new Jeep from them and always use them for service, but they were less then fair on my trade in this go around, I went else where and got an extra $2,500, hope this doesn't effect my service..) but when I mentioned the issue of the excessive play/looseness, the advisor said hes never heard of the issue on the JL. I already printed off the TSB to have in hand just in case.
Just out of curiosity, have someone else call up to talk to the same advisor and say they have a JL with excessive play and ask if he ever heard of it (they have now because of you). I had a friend call one of the service advisors about the steering problem that I had dealt with and he said he never heard of it. He obviously lied because he had heard about it from me 2 weeks prior. Either he has a bad memory issue or is a liar.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Well, I’m joining the club. Just dropped the JL off for its Weld Recall inspection, the “Lights on” alarm while the engine is running flash, and the dead spot/ play in the steering wheel.

I’ve waited 3000miles hoping a solution would be had by now, but since there is not I figure I better start documenting it with the dealer.

Of course, when I called an asked if they were aware a problem with the steering in some JL’s, they were not.
Update on my end, the flash was performed and the steering is better with less play in the wheel, probably half inch of play. Still occasionally wondering out of nowhere, but better.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I got a video of my steering wheel shaking after a bump. Is this related?
Get the torque on the ball joints, control arms, drift bar, etc. checked. Something is probably loose. Very loose.

wyatt209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of doing the same...trading my 2018 JL for a 2019 JL. I ordered both. I asked about the trade in (I have less that 2500 miles) and the offer they came back with was $34,000. I couldn't believe it. My sticker was just under $52,000. From what I paid, that's a drop of over 28%.

Could you comment on how your trade went?
thanks,
I got 40000 trade with 9700 miles on it. and mine had mopar lift and 35 in tires, no nav and cloth seats. 2018 JLUR. Not great but out of it and the new JK I love.
Sponsored