Sponsored

Loose steering cured by PCM flash!!

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
31BF3B12-0B8B-4D49-85E6-321B66FDFA5A.jpeg
Woohoo! Had to share this. Didn’t know where to post it, cuz there are just so many threads on the JL steering issues.

I’ve had loose steering and wandering/constant correcting since I purchased the JL new in June 2018. Roughly 1.5” to 1.75” of loose “play” in the steering wheel. Dealer flashed the PCM last week, and the problem is immensely better. The “play” in the steering wheel is less than 0.5” now. Jeep holds a straight line much better. Very few course corrections needed. Steering is much more direct, and feels exactly like the other JL that I test drove prior to purchasing mine!

Attached is the repair order showing the exact code for the particular flash they applied. Hope this helps someone.

Apologies if this has been posted in other threads. Just didn’t have time to read them all!
Sponsored

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Woohoo! Had to share this. Didn’t know where to post it, cuz there are just so many threads on the JL steering issues.

I’ve had loose steering and wandering/constant correcting since I purchased the JL new in June 2018. Roughly 1.5” to 1.75” of loose “play” in the steering wheel. Dealer flashed the PCM last week, and the problem is immensely better. The “play” in the steering wheel is less than 0.5” now. Jeep holds a straight line much better. Very few course corrections needed. Steering is much more direct, and feels exactly like the other JL that I test drove prior to purchasing mine!

Attached is the repair order showing the exact code for the particular flash they applied. Hope this helps someone.

Apologies if this has been posted in other threads. Just didn’t have time to read them all!
4 door?

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I just heard about this as well and was going to look further into it!

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. What other updates work by the dealer has been done before this fix?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
What other updates work by the dealer has been done before this fix?
Good question. Been to the dealer twice:

1st service at dealer (6K? miles):
  • Change oil/filter, multi-point inspection, rotate tires
  • 8.4” Infotainment screen locking up (dealer could not replicate problem)
  • Complaint of loose steering. Dealer test drove, confirmed problem, back-ordered a new steering dampener, promised to call when in stock, never did.
2nd service at dealer (10K miles):
  • Change oil/filter, multi-point inspection, rotate tires (but did not change 39 psi)
  • Complaint of ESS not working. Permanent message: “Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging”. Solution: Dealer found loose ground plate, and main battery would not hold a charge. Replaced main battery under warranty
  • Complaint of loose steering. I mentioned promise of dampener. Dealer said, “Oh, yeah, We have plenty of those in stock”. I asked that BEFORE they put in a new dampener, that they check for any TSBs from FCA on the steering issue, as I’ve read that some have found success with just reflashing the computer, or torquing certain bolts, and I offer to go on my phone to get a TSB number for him. Service advisor says he doesn’t need the TSB. He’s familiar with the problem, and knows the flash that needs to be performed. Solution: PCM flash listed in original post of this thread.
Other notes for troubleshooting:

Jeep delivered with 47 psi in tires. Dropped to 37 and saw incremental improvement in loose steering. To be more accurate, the steering wheel still felt loose, but the vehicle was SLIGHTLY less twitchy, and needed SLIGHTLY fewer course corrections, since the tires held a straight line better. On a scale of 1-10, the steering went from a 2 to a 3. But when PCM flash was done, it went from 3 to 8.

Modifications that could impact steering:
  • Sold the Sahara’s wheels & all-terrain tires at 1,000 miles, and installed Rubicon factory wheels with BFG KO2 tires with 99 miles on them. Minor changes in steering behavior, commensurate with 1” larger diameter, and slightly more aggressive tread. As for the steering wander problem, this MAY have caused an incremental improvement, or maybe just placebo effect. Hard to say. But the new sneakers sure look cool!
  • Installed AirLift air bag spring helpers only in rear to address squatting under heavy loads while camping. No more squatting problems while camping - except that one night that I went overboard with the sriracha sauce, and washed it down with some scotch. That gave me some squatting problems, but that’s a story for another forum.
  • Lots of other camping/overlanding mods, none of which should have an impact on steering other than when it is loaded down with roof-top tent, full fridge and camping gear, etc. But the problem seems no better/worse when fully loaded. And that is only a fraction of its use. This is my daily driver.

Last edited:

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I am really thinking the steering stabilizer being faulty from the factory may be causing the loose steering complaints. As long as all of your other steering related components are correctly torqued ball joints, tie rod ends and ect. And I think they changed the stabilizer and did the TSB update. All the TSB does is increase your electric steering pump output.

OP
OP
Jeeperz Kreeperz

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I am really thinking the steering stabilizer being faulty from the factory may be causing the loose steering complaints. As long as all of your other steering related components are correctly torqued ball joints, tie rod ends and ect. And I think they changed the stabilizer and did the TSB update. All the TSB does is increase your electric steering pump output.
Actually, in my case, they only backordered the steering stabilizer, but never installed it. It was the flash of the PCM that resolved the issue, so they never swapped out the stabilizer. No bolts were ever torqued. No steering components ever swapped.

I suppose we have to factor in the possibility that my defective main battery was wreaking havoc with the electronics in the steering system. The dealer did the PCM flash and the battery swap on the same visit, so I don’t have a way to scientifically segregate the two solutions to determine which was the true remedy. I believe there’s another thread on here of someone resetting their battery and seeing steering improvement, so I suppose a bad battery could have been causing my steering problems. But with so many on this forum having the same loose steering symptoms, it seems odd that we would ALL have bad batteries (given that battery technology is not exactly changing drastically from year to year). Then again, it seems there are a lot of DIFFERENT verifiable remedies experienced thus far to an issue with nearly identical symptoms.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-loose-and-or-wander.28197/page-3#post-764799

TSB # 02-003-19 Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.
GROUP: 02 Front
Suspension
DATE: June 21, 2019

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front track bar.

NOTE: If the vehicle symptom/condition is described with a sustained shake or shimmy in the steering wheel, as in the V41 recall, this bulletin should not be performed. Please refer to any open CSN’s, RRT’s, and other service documentation for that concern.

MODELS:
2018 - 2019
(JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NorthAmerica, APAC and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 15, 2017 (MDH 1015XX) and on or before January 22, 2019 (MDH 0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe:
Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Inspection Procedure.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: A test drive is required to verify that the symptom/condition listed above is the customer concern. If a shake or shimmy is felt on the test drive this bulletin does not pertain.

1. Does the vehicle wander and require constant small steering corrections?
• YES>>> Proceed to Step 1 of the repair procedure.
• NO>>> This Bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnosis should be performed.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68394087AA Track Bar LHD
1 (AR) 68394094AA Track Bar RHD

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Does anyone know how to tell if a JL up to date software wise, or is there a software version # somewhere? I don't trust the dealership when they say "it has all the latest software updates" and they didn't even plug it in to check. Same people that put in 6 quarts of oil instead of 5 quarts, twice.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Does anyone know how to tell if a JL up to date software wise, or is there a software version # somewhere? I don't trust the dealership when they say "it has all the latest software updates" and they didn't even plug it in to check. Same people that put in 6 quarts of oil instead of 5 quarts, twice.
Yeah curious if and how to get the dealer to install updates... it’s sad but my last stealership would NEVER install updates, even if I asked. Also, I do my own maintenance on the wrangler because of issues like more-than-5-quarts, etc.... so has anyone brought their Jeep in JUST for updates and nothing else?
Sponsored