Loose media port cover

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
So I've got about 4,300 mileson my JLUR and over the past few weeks the cover for the front media port (forward of the shift lever) has gradually gotten looser. When I first got the vehicle it would stay up when I lifted it to plug in my phone to the USB input, but it then started just flopping back down. Well, today it just broke off when I opened it.. Anyone else have this issue yet? I'm taking it in for service in a few weeks so I will probably see if it's covered under warranty, but just figured I would see if anyone has had to deal with that yet..
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So I've got about 4,300 mileson my JLUR and over the past few weeks the cover for the front media port (forward of the shift lever) has gradually gotten looser. When I first got the vehicle it would stay up when I lifted it to plug in my phone to the USB input, but it then started just flopping back down. Well, today it just broke off when I opened it.. Anyone else have this issue yet? I'm taking it in for service in a few weeks so I will probably see if it's covered under warranty, but just figured I would see if anyone has had to deal with that yet..
I've had no issues with mine, but it shouldn't be a big deal to replace.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
It should be easy (and hopefully cheap if not covered by warranty to replace). But to prevent it from happening in the future, here's what I've been doing. I assume you're flipping it up/down so much so you can plug in your phone to charge it and use Apple/Android CarPlay. Instead of using that panel, I've been using the USB that is inside the center console, and just running a cord out which reaches my cupholders or passenger seat. Jeep was smart enough to install a little hole where you can run a cord out and still keep the console closed/locked. I just leave that cord permanently plugged into the USB and then connect it to my phone whenever I get in the Jeep. Might help you having to eventually replace USB Console Cover #2...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It should be easy (and hopefully cheap if not covered by warranty to replace). But to prevent it from happening in the future, here's what I've been doing. I assume you're flipping it up/down so much so you can plug in your phone to charge it and use Apple/Android CarPlay. Instead of using that panel, I've been using the USB that is inside the center console, and just running a cord out which reaches my cupholders or passenger seat. Jeep was smart enough to install a little hole where you can run a cord out and still keep the console closed/locked. I just leave that cord permanently plugged into the USB and then connect it to my phone whenever I get in the Jeep. Might help you having to eventually replace USB Console Cover #2...
I usually do this, and leave the other USB/12v/115v ports open for my wife, depending on whatever charger she brought with her...

OP
OP
Felix22369

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Good call. I didn't even notice the hole for the cord. I'm definitley going to start using that one. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I like this idea and will give it a shot. I was actually going to start a post about how to remove the door altogether as I am normally plugged in and the door lays on the cord.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had this issue, but I am often amused by how it stays at any position you leave it at, almost soothing like popping bubble wrap or watching a lava lamp. Always thought it might eventually get loose. So far so good. Stay strong little cover :like:

PUNISHMENT24

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR STING-GRAY
Mine nor the wife’s have been a problem... it we leave them popped up 24/7
Sponsored