kingspecialized

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
There seems to be a lot of play in the fill pipe. The last few times I filled up, the pump would cut off after filling up a 1/2 gallon at a time. I am not sure if it is related. What else could it be? Is there a fix?
Sponsored

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
I think they are all like that. Some pumps get finicky. I would say I run into an issue like yours 1 out of every 20 fill ups or so. The play in the filler pipe isn't doing anything to make it more or less likely to happen at any particular pump.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
There seems to be a lot of play in the fill pipe. The last few times I filled up, the pump would cut off after filling up a 1/2 gallon at a time. I am not sure if it is related. What else could it be? Is there a fix?
My '21 has some play in it. Some pumps shut off, some don't. Never had this issue in any of my other 30+ vehicles.

OP
OP
kingspecialized

kingspecialized

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
My thoughts exactly. I've never had this issue. Also, it seems to be new. I have 30K miles onit, but it just started in the last month or so.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
If it continues to do it, then you probably have an issue of either a kinked tank vent, kinked fill tube or the charcoal canister came apart (the charcoal pellets come out of their bag and start to infiltrate the vent lines). Never seen it on a Jeep but have on many other cars. It's literally, you can't get more than a half gallon in at a time. Thus pull the tank, remove the pump, blow out all of the lines and install a new charcoal canister (as I've seen, those pellets clog up the vent lines).

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it continues to do it, then you probably have an issue of either a kinked tank vent, kinked fill tube or the charcoal canister came apart (the charcoal pellets come out of their bag and start to infiltrate the vent lines). Never seen it on a Jeep but have on many other cars. It's literally, you can't get more than a half gallon in at a time. Thus pull the tank, remove the pump, blow out all of the lines and install a new charcoal canister (as I've seen, those pellets clog up the vent lines).
Mine has been doing it since new. Others have reported the same thing when filling their tank for the first time

OP
OP
kingspecialized

kingspecialized

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible that this could be an intermittent problem?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
There is some play in the filler neck that allows for body movement.

Sometimes I have to pull the nozzle back a little to relieve some pressure or just set the pump at the mid click.

And like @jjvincent said, over filling a tank will soak the charcoal canister and the tank can no longer vent, making it very difficult to pump gas into it. After the pump clicks off, and tou know it should be full. Be done and don’t try to force that extra half gallon in. When fuel backs up into the filler neck, that’s what soaks the carbon canister. It can’t be fixed, it has to be replaced.

OP
OP
kingspecialized

kingspecialized

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I always stop on the click. Except when it clicks off every half gallon, but I can assure you I didn't fill my tank then. It would have taken an hour.

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I always stop on the click. Except when it clicks off every half gallon, but I can assure you I didn't fill my tank then. It would have taken an hour.
Does it click off at every station you refuel at? Mine only does it at 1 or 2 gas stations

OP
OP
kingspecialized

kingspecialized

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Does it click off at every station you refuel at? Mine only does it at 1 or 2 gas stations
Its not every fill up. Since I posted this it hasn't happened, but...I hear something moving around back there and I am not sure what it could be. I am wondering if the charcoal pellets are occasionally clogging thinks up, but then they move and I am able to fill.
Sponsored