Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I'd love to drop a Chevy 5.3 in one. Wasn't the engine a 3.1 Chevy V6? I do think they had a Dana 44 rear axle.
Not the ones I had. They were Isuzu engines....2.6L 4cyl in one. Diesel in the other. My last one was a 1988...still had Isuzu axles (I think made by Fuji Heavy Industries actually) back then.
Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I have a good friend in Colombia. There are tons of nicely restored Willys down there. He said they are about $4K-$5K usd fully restored. Someone could probably make a decent profit importing them?
Can't just "import" whatever you want though. If that was the case, I'd have a new Lotus Exige sitting in the garage. There are all kinds of restrictions for importing street legal automobiles; track only is a different story....but if I was going that route, I'd get a BAC Mono (which oddly enough, is street legal in the US...just wholly impractical).

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Nothing against my Jeep at all, but if the new Bronco (or any other vehicle really) can combine what I have in my JLR and my Raptor in styling, capability, and performance, I’d have to give it strong consideration. But then again, I’m not married to any vehicle or brand. I look at what I need/want and find the best fit available.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Can't just "import" whatever you want though. If that was the case, I'd have a new Lotus Exige sitting in the garage. There are all kinds of restrictions for importing street legal automobiles; track only is a different story....but if I was going that route, I'd get a BAC Mono (which oddly enough, is street legal in the US...just wholly impractical).
How about a Ariel Atom or Nomad?

Sponsored

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I'm actually excited about the Bronco. I'd like to see more competition come to market.

There used to be:

Ford Bronco
Isuzu Rodeo and Amigo
Geo Tracker
Suzuki Samurai
2 door soft top Kia Sportage
Hummer H1, H2, H3

FCA is out of hand with pricing and lack of quality. Hopefully the Bronco is made available at a fair price.

I'd love to see the Mahindra Thar come to market but FCA will fight it.
FCA isn’t the only manufacturer out of control with pricing. The price of full size trucks has gotten stupid. I bought a fully loaded F150 Lariat 4x4 10 years ago for ~$45k our the door...today you’d be lucky to get it for ~$55k.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
FCA isn’t the only manufacturer out of control with pricing. The price of full size trucks has gotten stupid. I bought a fully loaded F150 Lariat 4x4 10 years ago for ~$45k our the door...today you’d be lucky to get it for ~$55k.
I agree that prices have gone up in general. A loaded 2010 Rubicon stickered for 37-38k. A loaded 2020 rubicon stickers for mid 60s. Nearly doubled in price.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's all the gadgets and tech (and safety and engineering for better mileage) that drive the cost up (along with devaluation of money through unsound fiscal policy).

But, when I climb into my beloved '99 4Runner....it's so amazingly simple compared to the '19 Rav4 Hybrid or the '18 JLUR. 20 years changes a lot....and frankly, I'm not convinced we actually need all the 'connectivity' we've got for cell phones, apps and all the other crap, but the majority of people want it. So it is what it is.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
It's all the gadgets and tech (and safety and engineering for better mileage) that drive the cost up (along with devaluation of money through unsound fiscal policy).

But, when I climb into my beloved '99 4Runner....it's so amazingly simple compared to the '19 Rav4 Hybrid or the '18 JLUR. 20 years changes a lot....and frankly, I'm not convinced we actually need all the 'connectivity' we've got for cell phones, apps and all the other crap, but the majority of people want it. So it is what it is.
Love the 3rd and 4th generation 4runners. I keep an eye on Craigslist and FB marketplace for a good one to pop up for sale that is not a small fortune.

Sponsored

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

I miss the simplicity of my 2012 JKUR. I had the basic radio with the Alpine package. Unfortunately, with the JL, you can’t get a basic radio and an upgraded sound system. Yes, consumers like the higher tech, but I think auto manufacturers are forcing you into more expensive trims and packages to get certain features.

I’d give anything to have a JLUR with the manual transmission, manual windows, manual locks, basic radio, and the upgraded Alpine system (only because the way they integrate the amp & subwoofer is so cleanly done).

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the 3rd and 4th generation 4runners. I keep an eye on Craigslist and FB marketplace for a good one to pop up for sale that is not a small fortune.
Yeah...every once in a while I find them for around $4k or so....As well as FJ80s. I love the 80 series TLC, but they just don't make much sense compared to a 3rd Gen 4Runner.

I'd still love to buy an 80, then pull the whole drivetrain and drop in a Cummins, NV5600, Atlas and locked D60/D80 axles with maybe 40s and hack the body to fit them with very little lift . It would make a stupid cool tow rig. My dad has a super low mileage 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 for the donor....just doubt I'll ever have time for yet another project like that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mid 60's? Really?
No way mid 60's, unless he's talking a diesel. Even then I'd say 60 or maybe 61 tops.

I paid 35 for my 08 Rubi, which was sticker. Dealers were getting 2k to 3k over sticker at the time. I paid just under 47 for my 18 JL, which was about 6k below sticker, so about a $12k increase. That's about 34% more. That's about 3.4% a year. The average for inflation over that time period was about 3.2%. That means it feels like a bigger difference than it actually is.

Of course, i'm basing it on what I actually paid, not on sticker to sticker. But, it is accurate in terms of what the market would bear. In the Fall of 07, JK Rubis were absolutely at a premium. I had to go far from home to find it at sticker. The JL, on the otherhand, started for me at 1% below invoice, and my dealership found a couple other incentives. Either way, I paid about what should reasonably be expected.

I haven't seen what the 2020's are going for, but I doubt they are getting sticker for them. There are simply too many sitting on the dealer lots, including Rubicons. When I bought my JK, Rubicons lasted just a few hours when unloaded from the truck. If you got lucky, you might have seen one there a day.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.