Not open for further replies.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I naively thought they were going to reveal the Bronco in LA. Now I hear it is going to be in the Spring. I am just ready to see it already.
Many are feeling the same. Ford released the teaser image years ago, and this news of the Bronco R is the first thing they have given us to look at since then. It's been a long wait.
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I wouldn't be so fast to assume the production unit will be like this just because the race truck is ...

The race prototype is built on a modified Ford T6 architecture that will provide the base for the production model. Beefed up for Baja, Bronco R features an independent front suspension with 14 inches of travel and a production-based five-link rear chassis design with up to 18 inches of travel, plus custom Fox shocks, 17-inch beadlock-capable aluminum wheels and 37-inch BFGoodrich tires.

You'll notice they explicitly call the rear suspension out as "production-based" but do not give that nod to the IFS.
I don't think that it will be the same caliber of components. But if it is based on the T6 then it is definitely a IFS setup for the T6.

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a “five-link rear chassis.”?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that it will be the same caliber of components. But if it is based on the T6 then it is definitely a IFS setup for the T6.
Not necessarily. The Troller T4 is on a shortened version of the T6 Platform and It has Solid front and rear.

I still don't think it'll get a SFA though. The Ranger, Everest and anything else on T6 is IFS

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It takes like 20 hours to recharge a battery. I can gas up in 5 mins.
More like 10 hours for a full charge. It wouldn't be a bad deal if you're using your Jeep as a daily driver. You drive wherever in the day, and then charge it at night and you never even have to think about getting gas. For roadtrips, the Tesla superchargers will get you to 80% in about 30-40 mins.

But it's one of those things where it really depends on your use case. If you live someplace REALLY COLD with very little traffic and take long drives everywhere, then an electric car would be the worst decision. For someone that lives in LA? It's a fantastic decision.

I'd buy the hell out of an electric Jeep.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
More like 10 hours for a full charge. It wouldn't be a bad deal if you're using your Jeep as a daily driver. You drive wherever in the day, and then charge it at night and you never even have to think about getting gas. For roadtrips, the Tesla superchargers will get you to 80% in about 30-40 mins.

But it's one of those things where it really depends on your use case. If you live someplace REALLY COLD with very little traffic and take long drives everywhere, then an electric car would be the worst decision. For someone that lives in LA? It's a fantastic decision.

I think the perfect compromise for most would by an E-Torque system on steroids with a manual transmission. Enough battery for about 10 miles city range, regenerative braking. Any more than 10 miles range and you are talking serious weight which hurts off-road. You could crawl around for a few hours in silence, not worrying about stalling your engine, but not have range anxiety preventing you from travelling 8 hours to the next trail.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Its a pretty high compression, so that makes it sensitive to gas.. when its warm I run higher octane and it reduces the pinging a fair amount. Still get weird start up noises sometimes, the rest you just turn up the stereo :O

Its all good until your warranty runs out :P
After 1.5 years of owning we blew through the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and now have 40k on it. I did get a 100k 10yr warranty which I'm grateful for because at this rate we will rip through the engine warranty in another year.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

So ya think Tesla is going to let us charge up at their superchargers?

Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
So ya think Tesla is going to let us charge up at their superchargers?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong..but.

I believe Tesla is the only one making the batteries,and they would have to source them from them. My company regrinds/reshapes the rolls for there battery factory in Reno. (In fact there's a set here now being reground) It's energy for the plant is powered by a huge solar panel field and is massive. Look it up; it's pretty neat.

So if they sourced the batteries they'd hook right up without issue and buy the rights to use em.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ford has a lot riding on the Bronco release ( no pun intended). If they screw it up, after all this hype, and present something like the Blazer that Chevy produced, they will be standing in the Dunce Corner for quite a while. The original Bronco has its many flaws smoothed by the Nostalgia of age, but a worthy competitor to the Wrangler is welcome.
Ford has an off road racing history, that revival will be serious, and give them clout.
A fun, cool, removeable top, doors, good fuel economy ( 2.3 Turbo) retro look will sell well.
Pricing is essential, it has to come in below the Wrangler to lure new buyers, and especially young buyers. They will be the " future faithful " to carry the brand , memories and nostalgia have to start someplace...

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Not necessarily. The Troller T4 is on a shortened version of the T6 Platform and It has Solid front and rear.

I still don't think it'll get a SFA though. The Ranger, Everest and anything else on T6 is IFS
Take a look at the latest [Banned Site] YouTube video posted this morning. The Dana Spicer guy is reviewing the new axle options and when he gets to the new Dana 44 Advantek on the JK he says that we'll be seeing more of these in the market including the "the new Ford product will have these axles". I'm still curious...

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at the latest [Banned Site] YouTube video posted this morning. The Dana Spicer guy is reviewing the new axle options and when he gets to the new Dana 44 Advantek on the JK he says that we'll be seeing more of these in the market including the "the new Ford product will have these axles". I'm still curious...
Still not conclusive. For example: Dana 35 has been used in both a rear solid (Jeeps) and a front IFS (Ford Ranger and Explorer TTB and IFS and Dodge Durango/Dakota).

Could just be Dana 44 Advantek gears and center section. The Dana 44 is already in 3 configs in JLs (2x rear and 1x front)

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
So it has been confirmed that the Bronco is IFS but an engineer over on the Bronco forums described it’s capability a bit. He said that in his and many peoples opinion the Wrangler Rubicon is the best off road vehicle in the world, and the second best is the ranger raptor. He says that the Bronco will be better than the ranger raptor in “Every single way”.

Interesting.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.