First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m gonna call it right now:

1. This will be more of a 4Runner competitor than a Wrangler competitor.

2. It will be too heavy and large.

3. It will ultimately go the way of the FJ Cruiser. Sales will be high for the first model year then taper as pent-up demand is exhausted.
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
People said this about the Raptor too...

I’m gonna call it right now:

2. It will be too heavy and large.

3. It will ultimately go the way of the FJ Cruiser. Sales will be high for the first model year then taper as pent-up demand is exhausted.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
One recall in 8 years and 180,000 miles on my EcoBoost and I was at the dealer for about a half hour with a reflash and out the door Had my Jeep JLU since December and been to the Jeep dealer three times and It’s still not right.
I think NHTSA shows 29 recalls for the 150 for years 2017 - 2019. Twelve for the Jeep Wrangler in the same 3 year period.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
People said this about the Raptor too...
That’s a different situation with regard to their respective market segments. The Wrangler occupies a market segment populated by exactly one model: the Wrangler. The Ranger re-entered a market segment it (arguably) never should have left: the mid-size truck segment. The mid-size truck market is growing, and while JK sales were higher than TJ sales, I’m not sure if you could say it’s growing in the same way... it’s pretty niche despite solid sales.

Now to caveat everything I just said, I haven’t done any real analysis or number crunching and am kinda just talking out of my ass based on hunches. But I think I’m close-ish to being right.

Edit, 3 weeks later: I just realized you said Raptor not Ranger. Well, similar deal- the Raptor targets a completely different niche than the Wrangler and for a while was kind of in a class of its own. Plus it’s an offshoot of an already existing model, not its own model.

Last edited:

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
If they have Ranger Raptor selling here in the States, we will grab one as we always want a mid-size pickup. Colorado, Canyon, Tacoma, and Frontier just not cut it for us.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
W
Seriously: can anyone sight a downside to this happening, except maybe for FCA?

For all this won't be a Wrangler if released (and don't get me wrong I love mine) there are some aspects of not being a Wrangler that are positive in the sense that many things other manufacturers wouldn't dare not include in their models (for fear of competition) FCA makes options if it in fact offers them.

And sure, in fairness to FCA, that's because $ goes to what makes the Wrangler so off road capable rather than the degree to which a "Nissan Altima" is not: no offense to that brand. But it's also because the Wrangler enjoys limited competition in its market space.

* Consumers will have *some what* of a choice if off roading, more than style preference is their thing.

* The aftermarket, which feeds many, will have another place to design their wares and not have to take as much grief from overbearing "mother FCA."

* FCA will have to offer more for less.

As I see it, if you love your Wrangler, this is terrific news.
Will be as competitive as a Ford Raptor.

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
I think NHTSA shows 29 recalls for the 150 for years 2017 - 2019. Twelve for the Jeep Wrangler in the same 3 year period.
I’ve had 2 recalls for my 2011 first year 3.5 EcoBoost f150 supercrew and now with a 180,000 miles it still runs and rides great.No rust thanks to Oil Undercoating every year and I have put front brakes in pads and rotors at 137,000 miles and spark plugs at 100,000 miles. Still on the original rear brakes.That’s it besides oil changes every 5000 miles and tires Still the original battery in it.I’d say thats pretty good for a first model year of the EcoBoost And most important is Ford didn’t take a dime of us taxpayers money for a bailout . Chrysler and GM can’t say that .I’ll probably have a new Bronco and a Jeep

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had 2 recalls for my 2011 first year 3.5 EcoBoost f150 supercrew and now with a 180,000 miles it still runs and rides great.No rust thanks to Oil Undercoating every year and I have put front brakes in pads and rotors at 137,000 miles and spark plugs at 100,000 miles. Still on the original rear brakes.That’s it besides oil changes every 5000 miles and tires Still the original battery in it.I’d say thats pretty good for a first model year of the EcoBoost And most important is Ford didn’t take a dime of us taxpayers money for a bailout . Chrysler and GM can’t say that .I’ll probably have a new Bronco and a Jeep
Just shows not every Wrangler or every 150 has major problems. But to hear some on this forum FCA and Jeep are crap. And mosey on over to the engine threads and you'll find out how beloved your EcoBoost engines are liked.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It could end up being a real competitor or end up like the Hummer H2/H3.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
The problem that Ford faces that many people do not seem to realize is the sheer number of Ford engines on the road.

Ford says that in 2018 it sold more than 1.075 million F-150s and F-Series trucks globally. That cements the F-Series' 42 year run as America’s best-selling truck. The Ford F-150 has been America’s best-selling vehicle for 37 years.

That was a quote lifted off of Torque News. If 1% of F150s have a problem that is over 10k trucks. SO chances are that even though a very small percentage of the trucks have any problems at all it seems like a ton of people complaining. Look up FCA complaints and they rack up as many complaints as the EcoBoost with about 25% the production numbers. The problem we face is that, for the most part, happy customers are out doing what they do and not on the internet complaining to anyone that will listen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.