• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Yea nothing has been shown. But that article saws the people that saw it said its a retro design and the team that designed it are the same team that did the new Mustang. Also the pulled the old concept out of storage for that Skyfall movie with the rock and have show teaser images of the clay model covered in a tarp so my money would be a boxy design that looks a lot like the late 60s early 70s Bronco.
I'm encouraged that Ford can't eff it up by making it 'too retro', because the original was literally just a box with virtually no styling elements; maybe the crease where the front fender meets the hood? Or that metallic strip running the length of the truck? Even Ford couldn't screw up those two elements. They could easily botch the interior though, although the new Exploder finally has an interior that isn't an embarrassment like the Ranger, F-150, and the rest of their lineup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler {filename}
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm encouraged that Ford can't eff it up by making it 'too retro', because the original was literally just a box with virtually no styling elements; maybe the crease where the front fender meets the hood? Or that metallic strip running the length of the truck? Even Ford couldn't screw up those two elements. They could easily botch the interior though, although the new Exploder finally has an interior that isn't an embarrassment like the Ranger, F-150, and the rest of their lineup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler {filename}
If you want to rag on the original design you could at least post a picture of one that's true to it's roots...

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
If you want to rag on the original design you could at least post a picture of one that's true to it's roots...
You missed the point of my post. I said there aren't any 'retro' styling elements for Ford to botch on the new one, which is a good thing. Of the three things they could copy (the hood/fender crease, the upper metal strip thing, and the grille), none aged poorly or could be interpreted in a hideous way. Basically, Ford can't possibly mess up the styling if they are going 'retro'. And they are unlikely to screw up the powertrains, since Ford has great engines to choose from. That leaves the interior, which has been Ford's blind spot for a long time.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To me the Ecoboost is the most exciting thing about the Bronco, as I just feel like FCA has such lack luster engines in the Wrangler & Gladiator line ups.
The 2.7L is definitely a step above the 2.3L. In the F-150 it's 325/400 currently, so they would detune it for any other vehicles. But, even if Bronco gets 310/375 that's still going to kitten-stomp anything Jeep is offering in terms of performance.

The big issue with the EcoBust engines (and the reason they earned that nickname on the Web) is because they have a list of TSBs and recalls a country mile long, and they also rarely ever get the fuel economy promised.

Still, it's good to see some competition again after a few decades. And I'm glad all this stuff isn't happening until I'm at the end of my current lease. :rock:

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
It will still be a FORD and a wannabe
Yeah I love a ford pickup and a ford mustang, but they'll never come close to topping a wrangler. They might come up with a few innovative ideas that wrangler may be able to repurpose to make a better overall product but that's prolly about it.

Sponsored

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
Ford pickups for years just bought them because my old man used to have them in the business and I always have problems with it just figured it was the norm, in 2007 I changed over to a ram 3500 still use it as my main work vehicle to this day very few problems if any compared to the Fords I used to have. Had six Ford pickups over the years, you expected to have problems. I think Ford is an overpriced shit product that sells.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Seriously: can anyone sight a downside to this happening, except maybe for FCA?

For all this won't be a Wrangler if released (and don't get me wrong I love mine) there are some aspects of not being a Wrangler that are positive in the sense that many things other manufacturers wouldn't dare not include in their models (for fear of competition) FCA makes options if it in fact offers them.

And sure, in fairness to FCA, that's because $ goes to what makes the Wrangler so off road capable rather than the degree to which a "Nissan Altima" is not: no offense to that brand. But it's also because the Wrangler enjoys limited competition in its market space.

* Consumers will have *some what* of a choice if off roading, more than style preference is their thing.

* The aftermarket, which feeds many, will have another place to design their wares and not have to take as much grief from overbearing "mother FCA."

* FCA will have to offer more for less.

As I see it, if you love your Wrangler, this is terrific news.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Depending on how it goes we might be a Bronco and Wrangler household. Wife has always been a Bronco fan but drives a Grand Cherokee now. She'd love a Bronco if Ford keeps it as competitive as it seems to be.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Seriously: can anyone sight a downside to this happening, except maybe for FCA?

There is one HUGE downside for Wrangler owners, especially those of us who lease. The Wrangler has enjoyed the #1 resale value in the U.S. market for many many years. The sole reason for that is because there is nothing else like it. It's the ONLY vehicle on the market with 4x4 and a convertible top combined.

With direct competition, a slice of the Wrangler pie will be eaten and there may be an increase in rebates on Wrangler and/or incentives to buy, which will drive resale down. We've already seen resale fall in the last 12 months because they're building too many Wranglers and inventory is flooded. If they see a further reduction in sales due to Bronco, that will also drive resale down farther.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There is one HUGE downside for Wrangler owners, especially those of us who lease. The Wrangler has enjoyed the #1 resale value in the U.S. market for many many years. The sole reason for that is because there is nothing else like it. It's the ONLY vehicle on the market with 4x4 and a convertible top combined.

With direct competition, a slice of the Wrangler pie will be eaten and there may be an increase in rebates on Wrangler and/or incentives to buy, which will drive resale down. We've already seen resale fall in the last 12 months because they're building too many Wranglers and inventory is flooded. If they see a further reduction in sales due to Bronco, that will also drive resale down farther.
Excellent point; thanks. But the greater difference between purchase and resale price that such competition might bring would have to be discounted by any savings on the purchase of the JL that came from such competition.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.