Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
For dirt roads or rocks? That's insane. There is literally NO WAY a vehicle that sells for less than $100k will need zero mods.

Lets put it into perspective.. my Ram Powerwagon was $60k... you can get one pretty well optioned now for $50k (new). It STILL needs mods to be a decent, dependable, rock crawler... it straddles the fence pretty well.. It's heavy and has a long wheelbase but still needs mods to seriously play in the rocks. The rear driveshaft is aluminum, hangs low, and will get shredded. Everything on it is 3/4 ton tough though.. you're not going to break or bend an axle unless you jump it or bounce through a rock garden. The axles are like D60's.

The Ford Raptor (about $60k) can go really fast over dirt, but it completely out of it's element in rocks. It will break...

The Jeep JL does rocks really well.. kinda suck at high speed dirt roads unless you 'mojave' it with some good bypass shocks and the axles, while pretty good, still won't take massive abuse. It articulates well, has a short wheelbase, and solid f/r axles that are fairly stong.

This Bronco has to overcome all of that... I just don't see it happening for less than $50k (or even $80k) retail price.
Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Well... I'm waiting with baited breath. If they can release something for less than $45k (cost of a pretty well optioned Rubicon) that can keep up with it on all terrain it will be interesting.

However there won't be much aftermarket support likely the first year or two and if you're stuck with max 35'' tires, well...
Well the aftermarket will help you get above 35’s;)

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Price doesn’t matter anymore. Hell with a more durable vehicle why not make it 96 or 108 months of payments? Especially with the good residual ford can’t lose if they have to repo it.
Doesn't matter unless there's interest attached to the loans...then it DEFINITELY DOES matter.

And even then, I'd argue it does b/c the interest is still attached, it's just built into the price.

Only the very financially inept would even dare to argue otherwise.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Ford has put a lot of research time in, the base Bronco price will be a big factor, as these won't be available until 2021. The downward momentum of the economy is going to take a long time to recover, so price will be a BIG factor.There is also "Interest Fatigue", people lose interest when a product is dangled, but not available for months.
IF the 2 door Bronco has a mid 20s price, with A/C, delivered ,it will draw in a future fan base. Ford needs a long - term market for the Bronco, young entry level is key to this, as is aftermarket support. Ford will be smart to have this " in house". Looking forward to this Reveal.
I would be very happy if a base stripped down version of the new Bronco sold in the 20k range. But that's not what I've been hearing. Several persons seeming in the know, state the base Bronco will be a few k more than the base Wrangler. But Bronco will have a few more standard features than the base Wrangler.

My first 4x4 was a Jeep, and I'll always be a Jeep guy. But finally having another entry in the rugged open-top genre in the USA, will be nice. I hope both vehicles do well and usher in demand for these sort of vehicles. We already have enough road-based SUVs, and so hoping Ford comes through with Wrangler class vehicle. Will soon see ...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Well the aftermarket will help you get above 35’s;)
Hmmm.... the aftermarket can't get the ZR2 above 35's.. I know it's all just speculation. I just can't see them getting something price/performance competitive with a Jeep.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Price doesn’t matter anymore. Hell with a more durable vehicle why not make it 96 or 108 months of payments? Especially with the good residual ford can’t lose if they have to repo it.
What about for the buyer? I recently bought a new economy car gas sipper for 14k. If I had car payments, each month they would be very low, compared to having for example a 50k car payment. If I were to sell each of the vehicles 10 years from now (or longer I tend to hang onto vehicles like grim death, lol), I'm not sure which vehicle would hit me harder in terms of total dollar amount depreciation.

Basically, I know people who have one or more high priced vehicles, and they have big car payments each month, and higher insurance costs, and seem to be spending a lot overall and losing money on replacing these vehicles often. I'm open to seeing how spending on expensive vehicles is a financial win, but I've done well financially driving low cost vehicles.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Doesn't matter unless there's interest attached to the loans...then it DEFINITELY DOES matter.

And even then, I'd argue it does b/c the interest is still attached, it's just built into the price.

Only the very financially inept would even dare to argue otherwise.
I’m being a bit hyperbolic with this. My point being that I think people’s idea of “affordable” vehicles has become very skewed since vehicles retain value and are so much more durable/reliable than they used to be. A 1996 Bronco was around $30k in today’s money.... but would be a far less reliable and durable vehicle than a modern Bronco. Jeep’s are kind of an exception since the 4.0 was such a good engine, but as a whole your “bang for the buck” nowadays is absurd vs even 20 years ago.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I’m being a bit hyperbolic with this. My point being that I think people’s idea of “affordable” vehicles has become very skewed since vehicles retain value and are so much more durable/reliable than they used to be. A 1996 Bronco was around $30k in today’s money.... but would be a far less reliable and durable vehicle than a modern Bronco. Jeep’s are kind of an exception since the 4.0 was such a good engine, but as a whole your “bang for the buck” nowadays is absurd vs even 20 years ago.
You're mixing in a whole bunch of variables there....from TVM and inflation to questionable reliability improvements considering the associated increases in complexity and cost of components as well as repairs.

One thing's certain...if you're someone looking at vehicles based on the "payment"....you likely cannot really "afford" that vehicle.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
If Ford is smart they will put a 302ci or other small v8 in the Bronco and call it a stallion.
Maybe Ford will purchase Jeep. I’m sure that would get somebody wound up. Ha ha.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
You're mixing in a whole bunch of variables there....from TVM and inflation to questionable reliability improvements considering the associated increases in complexity and cost of components as well as repairs.

One thing's certain...if you're someone looking at vehicles based on the "payment"....you likely cannot really "afford" that vehicle.
Yet that's exactly what a lot of people do nowadays in the world of instant gratification and subscription models. People are conditioned to see the monthly price and how that fits into their budget. Hey look! I can get this and still have X left over each month, I want it! Instead of looking at the long term impact.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill

Totally agree from a financial perspective. From a sales perspective... they’ll figure out a way.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree from a financial perspective. From a sales perspective... they’ll figure out a way.
Not sure I care an iota for Ford's sales perspective, but feel free...you certainly don't need my permission.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well... I'm waiting with baited breath. If they can release something for less than $45k (cost of a pretty well optioned Rubicon) that can keep up with it on all terrain it will be interesting.

However there won't be much aftermarket support likely the first year or two and if you're stuck with max 35'' tires, well...
And anything with standard 35” and 37” inch tires is bound to have such horrendous MPG, that Ford is likely to restrict its volume either through pricing or production caps, to avoid tanking its CAFE numbers.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.