Not open for further replies.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Here’s the pic. That is an absurdly good departure angle I must say.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler AE623763-2FFE-4447-8C4A-B9BCFA0FCCEB

Jeep never had nor ever will have competition
The gatekeeping from some of y’all is insane. What does this even mean? Of course it has competition, from the 4Runner and The ZR2 bison and Tacoma TRD off road. And now the Bronco. Just because something isn’t a carbon copy doesn’t mean it’s not competition. And Bronco will be by far the closest competitor in probably 40 years.
Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Here’s the pic. That is an absurdly good departure angle I must say.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler AE623763-2FFE-4447-8C4A-B9BCFA0FCCEB

The gatekeeping from some of y’all is insane. What does this even mean? Of course it has competition, from the 4Runner and The ZR2 bison and Tacoma TRD off road. And now the Bronco. Just because something isn’t a carbon copy doesn’t mean it’s not competition. And Bronco will be by far the closest competitor in probably 40 years.
To some perhap... sorry for the spelling.. too many people waving at me while I’m drivin my Rubi

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would be curious to know whether the general public truly does not prefer convertibles or if it is more that they don't want to pay the roughly $3k premium that most companies charge for the convertible model. With the Jeep (and Bronco) that is not a decision they have to make.
People will spend money they don’t have to get the features they want on a car and just spread the payments over 9 years or whatever.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
But again, while I think most owners wont remove the top they still like the idea they can and a jeep pretty much has to have one given its lineage.
My top is down more than up, and I live in the northeast lol

It's awesome. I will never buy another vehicle without the convertible option.

Anyway, I remember seeing an interview with jeep on TFL back in 2017 before the JL released, and he (is his name Mark something? the guy who's on almost everything for jeep) said the reason most 4x4 vehicles no longer do convertible tops is because the engineering is a hassle. At the very least had nothing to do with sales numbers, was moreso with the moving parts.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Yes, the only cars that are surviving are the 2 door sports cars. But those are produced in such small numbers. What @ThirtyOne is saying is that 2 door SUVs are dying, and anything else with 2 doors other than a sports car is dying as well.

Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
yeah that’s what BlackBerry thought about their devices too when they were the only game in town. Look at them now.
Actually Blackberry failed to adapt to newer comparative technologies and was a one trick pony. Jeep has kept up with their brand, the iconic look, but the bells and whistles you have available today are as good and in most instances better than the competition.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I do think the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler in many ways:

1 - Better powertrains - With the exception of the diesel I think the 2.3/2.7 ecoboost paired with the 10-speed auto will outperform the Wrangler and get slightly better gas mileage. But they will have nothing but turbos which will not appeal to everyone. The manual we will have to wait and see. I don't think they care as much about crawl ratio so I think the Wrangler will be better especially the Rubicon.

2 - Better standard options - Led standard on all trims. LED DRL standard on upper trims. Remote proximity standard on upper trims. Basic safety on all trims. Advanced safety standard on upper trims.

3 - Better Tech - Base infotainment will be much better than the 5 inch uconnect 3. Top infotainment will probably be 10 inches. While I think Uconnect is better than Sync they could leapfrog with Sync 4 and wireless CarPlay/Android Auto. Auto wipers will probably be standard on most trims as well for example.

4 - Frameless doors - this is pretty much known. Jeep owners lament the loss of the half doors though the door uppers were inconvenient. With the frameless doors the Bronco will have something very similar to half-doors standard.

5 - Towing - Wrangler towing is not very good and I think Bronco will have better numbers.

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I’m well aware and the FCA had lots of places the JL could have innovated, but didn’t. It’s the same PITA hardtop design as the JK, same poor planning with the door mirrors, lackluster (but solid) engines, and questionable on-road behavior. This might come back and bite them in the ass when Joe Q. Public hops down to the Ford dealer and sees the product advantages there. Hardly anyone will care about IFS vs SFA. It’s all about ease of use, and capabilities they can use daily on the road.

Mid-cycle refresh might have some surprises that may take care of some of these but I don’t expect anything major.

We don’t know everything for sure yet about the Bronco but we do know the 2.7 is a more compelling powertrain, and the mirrors don’t come off when the doors come off. That’s a good start.

Actually Blackberry failed to adapt to newer comparative technologies and was a one trick pony. Jeep has kept up with their brand, the iconic look, but the bells and whistles you have available today are as good and in most instances better than the competition.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I do think the Bronco will be better than the Wrangler in many ways:

1 - Better powertrains - With the exception of the diesel I think the 2.3/2.7 ecoboost paired with the 10-speed auto will outperform the Wrangler and get slightly better gas mileage. But they will have nothing but turbos which will not appeal to everyone. The manual we will have to wait and see. I don't think they care as much about crawl ratio so I think the Wrangler will be better especially the Rubicon.

2 - Better standard options - Led standard on all trims. LED DRL standard on upper trims. Remote proximity standard on upper trims. Basic safety on all trims. Advanced safety standard on upper trims.

3 - Better Tech - Base infotainment will be much better than the 5 inch uconnect 3. Top infotainment will probably be 10 inches. While I think Uconnect is better than Sync they could leapfrog with Sync 4 and wireless CarPlay/Android Auto. Auto wipers will probably be standard on most trims as well for example.

4 - Frameless doors - this is pretty much known. Jeep owners lament the loss of the half doors though the door uppers were inconvenient. With the frameless doors the Bronco will have something very similar to half-doors standard.

5 - Towing - Wrangler towing is not very good and I think Bronco will have better numbers.
And don't forget the doors can be stowed in the vehicle when removed (more on your point 4)

And mirrors that stay with the vehicle when the doors are removed.

And there has been allusion to the hard top being easier to remove.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
And don't forget the doors can be stowed in the vehicle when removed (more on your point 4)

And mirrors that stay with the vehicle when the doors are removed.

And there has been allusion to the hard top being easier to remove.
I am not confident on any of the rumors on the tops and doors I'll wait until hands-on reviews for that.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m well aware and the FCA had lots of places the JL could have innovated, but didn’t. It’s the same PITA hardtop design as the JK, same poor planning with the door mirrors, lackluster (but solid) engines, and questionable on-road behavior. This might come back and bite them in the ass when Joe Q. Public hops down to the Ford dealer and sees the product advantages there. Hardly anyone will care about IFS vs SFA. It’s all about ease of use, and capabilities they can use daily on the road.

Mid-cycle refresh might have some surprises that may take care of some of these but I don’t expect anything major.

We don’t know everything for sure yet about the Bronco but we do know the 2.7 is a more compelling powertrain, and the mirrors don’t come off when the doors come off. That’s a good start.
I expect the mid-cycle refresh, which should be around 2022 or 2023, to be significant from an interior and tech standpoint. I expect at least a 10 inch infotainment screen with wireless CarPlay/Android Auto. I bet the 7 inch will be the base even in the Sport. Probably a refreshed gauge cluster. And I think they will refresh the standard options to be more competitive.

Ideally it would include the i6 Turbo but I don't think it will be ready yet. That is where FCA has dropped the ball. But same thing happened with JK. Refreshed interior one year and then upgraded the engine the following year.

Already Jeep has made a lot more improvements to the JL Wrangler in the first 4 model years than they did to the JK. I think they sense the competition is coming.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.