First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
If the convertible top was such a huge selling point then why did almost all other 4x4 manufacturers abandon it? At one time you could get a Bronco, Blazer, Ramcharger, 4runner, Sidekick, Amigo, Tracker, Sportage, Scout and more that I've forgotten. All of those died, or converted to a hard top only. The only other AWD/4WD convertible for sale in the US is the Range Rover Evoque. The closest recent competitor to the Wrangler was the FJ Cruiser. Toyota decided that the cost of production did not warrant it. Many people blame this decision on the death of the vehicle, but I disagree. There are so many Wrangler owners who will never take their top off. For some it is a selling point, but for many it is not. There has been a huge discussion on a FB group where a guy washed the interior of his Jeep and the folks went nuts saying that he ruined it because they can not fathom the idea of getting moisture in their interior. With overlanding becoming more popular that is another group that will not remove the top, or at the least will rarely do so. I truly believe that the removable top, for most buyers is lesser in it's importance than off road prowess. Even if neither one of them will be tested by the owner. I think, and this is just my opinion, that people being able to easily modify their vehicles, and say that they could go climb a mountain, if they wanted to, sells more Jeeps than the removable top.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If the convertible top was such a huge selling point then why did almost all other 4x4 manufacturers abandon it? At one time you could get a Bronco, Blazer, Ramcharger, 4runner, Sidekick, Amigo, Tracker, Sportage, Scout and more that I've forgotten. All of those died, or converted to a hard top only. The only other AWD/4WD convertible for sale in the US is the Range Rover Evoque. The closest recent competitor to the Wrangler was the FJ Cruiser. Toyota decided that the cost of production did not warrant it. Many people blame this decision on the death of the vehicle, but I disagree. There are so many Wrangler owners who will never take their top off. For some it is a selling point, but for many it is not. There has been a huge discussion on a FB group where a guy washed the interior of his Jeep and the folks went nuts saying that he ruined it because they can not fathom the idea of getting moisture in their interior. With overlanding becoming more popular that is another group that will not remove the top, or at the least will rarely do so. I truly believe that the removable top, for most buyers is lesser in it's importance than off road prowess. Even if neither one of them will be tested by the owner. I think, and this is just my opinion, that people being able to easily modify their vehicles, and say that they could go climb a mountain, if they wanted to, sells more Jeeps than the removable top.
I agree. It’s over-rated from a market perspective.

It’s not just off-roaders. Convertibles are dying in general. Just like 2-door vehicles and manual transmissions.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
It's still TSL rubber compound so they could be made to grab, but you needed to hot knife the shit out of them. Army buddy of mine had them on a Super Duty with the V10, argued to death that they were the bomb. Till he got his truck stuck like chuck in his own pasture. His only experience was the Mohave desert around Ft. Irwin. And I guess they would kinda work out there.
Yeah they didn't work in the desert on rocks in stock form....same thing...hot knife, lots of grooving and they sorta wrapped to an extent.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
3 extended commercials spread across a bunch of channels. Sounds like a nightmare.
They will have info on their YouTube channel as well. The one that matters IMO is the ABC one, it’s during the CMA best of show hosted by Like Bryan. That’s going to get a LOT of viewers.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I agree. I have yet to remove even the tops above the driver and passenger. I had my TJ top down for months at a time. Not to wheel cause it sucks to do so, more for small trips around town. Convertibles just suck after any length of time in a vehicle. For small trips it makes heading to the local bar, bagel shop, whatever fun as hell.

But again, while I think most owners wont remove the top they still like the idea they can and a jeep pretty much has to have one given its lineage.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I agree. I have yet to remove even the tops above the driver and passenger. I had my TJ top down for months at a time. Not to wheel cause it sucks to do so, more for small trips around town. Convertibles just suck after any length of time in a vehicle. For small trips it makes heading to the local bar, bagel shop, whatever fun as hell.

But again, while I think most owners wont remove the top they still like the idea they can and a jeep pretty much has to have one given its lineage.
From what we’ve heard the Bronco hard top will be significantly easier to remove. I think ease of removal is a big factor, because I do see people with the freedom tops off a lot. But it’s hard to store the rest of the hard top and a pain to remove. If Ford has an innovative solution that would be a huge benefit.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

I run top down and/or doors off all the time. And I love my manual transmission.

I just understand that my preferences are not the same as the majority of drivers. Why do 98% of drivers prefer a fixed roof and an automatic transmission? I don't know. But I don't blame automakers for focusing on them instead of me.

I will be very interested to see what the take-rate is for the manual transmission on the Bronco. I expect it to be below 5%.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I run top down and/or doors off all the time. And I love my manual transmission.

I just understand that my preferences are not the same as the majority of drivers. Why do 98% of drivers prefer a fixed roof and an automatic transmission? I don't know. But I don't blame automakers for focusing on them instead of me.

I will be very interested to see what the take-rate is for the manual transmission on the Bronco. I expect it to be below 5%.
I would be curious to know whether the general public truly does not prefer convertibles or if it is more that they don't want to pay the roughly $3k premium that most companies charge for the convertible model. With the Jeep (and Bronco) that is not a decision they have to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.