• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I find it ironically funny reading all the posts about IFS vs solid axle, because I keep thinking about the Mustang and how it was the exact opposite. For years (ok, decades) Ford pushed the Mustang chassis with a solid rear axle and tried competing against cars with independent rear suspension. Even the Camaro ditched the solid axle years ago. Ford's own SVT group released an IRS setup for the Mustang in mid 2000's, but was too cost prohibitive to continue. Now, finally, we see the Mustang lose the solid axle setup. So I wonder how long before SVT gets their hands on the Bronco and releases a solid axle for it? Lol

Honestly, I'd have to agree with others in saying that Ford knows the audience they are marketing toward. They are not targeting the 10%* hardcore base; they are after the 90%* who will drive on pavement and light trails. They need this to sell well if upper management is to continue production of a vehicle that has this much hype behind it. So if it sells well to the 90% of their target audience, then they should get the green light to push the envelope on improving their model lineup for the 10% hardcore audience. I'm just as curious as everyone else to see what that brings.

* I just made these percentage figures up for sake of argument. No real research went into this.
I'm calling baloney on your percentages! :LOL:
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
At 3:47 you can see why this system works well. It has very long a arms. They meet at the differential. The Bronco does not have anything close to this. It has the same short a arm setup as we see on the Ranger. If they had gone with a system like this Patrol, or even the twin traction beam from the old F150 I would not be so critical. But they went with the same suspension design as a Honda Civic.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
At 3:47 you can see why this system works well. It has very long a arms. They meet at the differential. The Bronco does not have anything close to this. It has the same short a arm setup as we see on the Ranger. If they had gone with a system like this Patrol, or even the twin traction beam from the old F150 I would not be so critical. But they went with the same suspension design as a Honda Civic.
It's not quite EXACTLY like a Honda Civic, but yes, similar. The TTB shortcoming was the lack of camber correction. I was hoping they would do something like the TTB with an offset differential, slip yokes on the two axleshafts, and equal length double wishbone with the pivot on the opposite side of the vehicle... but they didn't...

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
It's not quite EXACTLY like a Honda Civic, but yes, similar. The TTB shortcoming was the lack of camber correction. I was hoping they would do something like the TTB with an offset differential, slip yokes on the two axleshafts, and equal length double wishbone with the pivot on the opposite side of the vehicle... but they didn't...
I'd say the ranger is literally nothing like a CRV in terms of what it can do.
Random video.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I know it's not exactly the same, but they are both short unequal length wishbone style suspensions. So more similar than dissimilar.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Random video.
Desperately needs a front locker or at least traction control.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Random video.
At only 27 seconds in you see the disadvantages of this suspension. The front passenger, or driver as it looks to be in Australia, comes to a small rock. This lifts the other front tire and he has to bump it hard and choose a slightly different line. The rest of the video is more of the same. Yes, it made it through, but this was a very easy trail that should not be that hard at all.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Well of course it's not as capable as a solid axle. That's why we have Jeeps. Although, to be honest, if the sold the 78 series here, there I doubt there is even a parallel universe where I would not buy the 78 series.
The point is, that wildtrak wrangler will take you anywhere that 95% of wrangler owners realistically take their Jeeps.
The guys on this forum are a niche market. Most people just don't wheel "that" extreme. An IFS setup will do totally fine for that. If it has front and rear lockers, well... all the better.
Plus, you cannot deny that it will be order of magnitude more comfy.
From the photos.. it looks pretty damn cool.
Me... I am still holding out for a non-removable roof wrangler which is better suited to overlanding.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Random video.
I really like Rangers. My first truck was a Ranger 4x4 that I eventually shoe-horned a 5.0 V8 into. However if we're being honest, a stock Rubicon would have walked right up that and probably not even spun a tire.

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
That’s a broad generalization.

Jeep styling is more iconic and functional than attractive. Wrangler looks are an acquired taste IMO. Just like beer, blue cheese, or anchovies...
Or beer WITH your blue cheese and anchovies

Status
Not open for further replies.