Not open for further replies.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
And we all know with that $hit box 3.8L engine you were stuck behind that Prius the whole way ;)
You can pass a Prius going up a 7% grade with the 3.8? Kidding aside, you are right about hp...no big deal on the trail, but on the highway it’s way more important.
luckily I’ve got a 6 speed, so if I stick it in 3rd or 4th i can at least move a little bit. Not much.
Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
1. To screw with the people who have been waiting 20 years for this to be released.
2. See #1
3. It's got IFS so they don't really care about real off roading which is why they stuck the tailpipe there.
1. Top picture is mirrored. If you zoom in you can see the numbers on the plate are backwards.
2. I believe that we can't see it due to the camouflage hanging down below the bumper.
3. Because this vehicle is all about looking tough, with very little regard to how it will actually do on trails where that would be a concern.

Maybe all the Karens, and Kyles with their angry eye grills will buy the Bronco and stop molesting perfectly good Wranglers.
So the front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, front dig, 35’s stock, crawl ratio manual, beadlock capable wheels, and whatever other features it may have are just for looks? Just for reference too, with all those leaked pics last week they also leaked a pic of a wheel that was on the prototype.... looks like to me they were testing the hell out of it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 0CEB067A-E298-4150-88B5-3832D2B3D056

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So the front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, front dig, 35’s stock, crawl ratio manual, beadlock capable wheels, and whatever other features it may have are just for looks? Just for reference too, with all those leaked pics last week they also leaked a pic of a wheel that was on the prototype.... looks like to me they were testing the hell out of it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 0CEB067A-E298-4150-88B5-3832D2B3D056
Just for reference, when an IFS Vehicle flips over on its side and slides down the slope a bit, the wheel looks just like that.

Kidding aside, it’s got some cool off-road features, just not enough to overcome the IFS for many of us.

I still might buy one, but it won’t be replacing my Wrangler for off-road duty.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Just for reference, when an IFS Vehicle flips over on its side and slides down the slope a bit, the wheel looks just like that.

Kidding aside, it’s got some cool off-road features, just not enough to overcome the IFS for many of us.

I still might buy one, but it won’t be replacing my Wrangler for off-road duty.
:LOL:
Totally agree. I have my apprehensions with IFS as well, but I feel like many in this thread or elsewhere there’s no nuance. It’s just IFS=sucks when this is probably going to be the most advanced IFS off road SUV ever built. Certainly more so than the 4Runner and FJ cruiser.

Will be very interesting to see how it does.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
IFS sucks why? Because it's used on the most capable military utility vehicle ever made? Because it doesn't suffer from death wobble? Because it can actually be aligned in 3 planes instead of 1?

I don't hate the IFS at all. What I hate is that it's the ugliest vehicle I've seen since the Pontiac Aztek which is becoming a trademark of Ford these days...build the ugliest crap they can. And two, I hate that it's got so many features and designs that are clear rip-offs of the Wrangler. Disconnectable sway bar? Aux switches? Everything down to the way the hard top panels latch is all Jeep.

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Why do people keep getting angry at features making it from one vehicle to the next?? Jeep isn't the only one with aux switches. Jeep isn't the only one with a disconnectable sway bar. The hardtop panels, how else do you expect them to latch it? There are only so many ways to do things properly. Shut up with this "OMG THEY COPIED JEEP" BS. It's tired and idiotic. What's next? OMG IT HAS A SPARE ON THE BACK AND 4 WHEELS THEY COPIED JEEP!

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
IFS sucks why? Because it's used on the most capable military utility vehicle ever made? Because it doesn't suffer from death wobble? Because it can actually be aligned in 3 planes instead of 1?

I don't hate the IFS at all. What I hate is that it's the ugliest vehicle I've seen since the Pontiac Aztek which is becoming a trademark of Ford these days...build the ugliest crap they can. And two, I hate that it's got so many features and designs that are clear rip-offs of the Wrangler. Disconnectable sway bar? Aux switches? Everything down to the way the hard top panels latch is all Jeep.

My only issue is it's not long arm. I think the new Marlin Cralwer RCLT kit is really where Ford should have gone if they were looking for capability. Doesn't mean someone in the aftermarket won't step up as Marlin has done....but that's going to take time. Not sure there will be enough adopters to make that a profitable business decision though.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Why do people keep getting angry at features making it from one vehicle to the next?? Jeep isn't the only one with aux switches. Jeep isn't the only one with a disconnectable sway bar. The hardtop panels, how else do you expect them to latch it? There are only so many ways to do things properly. Shut up with this "OMG THEY COPIED JEEP" BS. It's tired and idiotic. What's next? OMG IT HAS A SPARE ON THE BACK AND 4 WHEELS THEY COPIED JEEP!
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There is an “correct” way to do things, obviously Jeep figured it out with the freedom panels. If it doesn’t violate any patents then Ford is free to copy it vs coming up with a worse solution. Same thing with the spare tire camera.

BTW, one of the “in the know” people over at the Bronco forum said that the Bronco team was obsessed with the JL when it came out, and went through it with a fine tooth comb. Apparently they thought Jeep did a great job with a lot of the improvements, but didn’t go far enough/ had areas of opportunity.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
IFS can be okay. But from what we've seen of this, it isn't. It's based off the Ranger and the pictures that were posted showed the abysmal length and were able to give me an estimate on travel length based on what I now of the Ranger and other similar IFS systems.

Also people keep defending IFS by comparing it to the HMMWV. Just stop. For one, the suspension setup on a HMMWV is pretty different than anything you will find on a production vehicle. The sharp A arms, the portal hubs, the high misalignment CV shafts, etc. 2, the HMMWV is not the best vehicle the Army has for going off road. And it really sucks on road. Off road the suspension does not keep the wheels in contact with the ground because of the limited travel. The torsen diffs keep enough power to the wheels to continue going forward in most scenarios, but the issue is when you are cresting over something and the weight shifts. You may have one wheel that is several feet in the air, and suddenly the weight of the vehicle comes crashing down onto it. It is a very sketch scenario.

Moral of the story is that the Bronco will behave very similarly on technical trails like that. Not fun.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If Ford has somehow figured out how to make IFS with more articulation, that would be good news for many of us. Choice is good. Some in this board seem very concerned the Bronco might be successful in competing with the Wrangler.

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
If Ford has somehow figured out how to make IFS with more articulation, that would be good news for many of us. Choice is good. Some in this board seem very concerned the Bronco might be successful in competing with the Wrangler.
I hope the Bronco is very successful against the Wrangler. Competition is always good for the consumer. It can lead to great innovation. Why innovate or improve reliablity if you have no competition? The Bronco re-entering the 2 door SUV market was great news. I'm excited.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I find it ironically funny reading all the posts about IFS vs solid axle, because I keep thinking about the Mustang and how it was the exact opposite. For years (ok, decades) Ford pushed the Mustang chassis with a solid rear axle and tried competing against cars with independent rear suspension. Even the Camaro ditched the solid axle years ago. Ford's own SVT group released an IRS setup for the Mustang in mid 2000's, but was too cost prohibitive to continue. Now, finally, we see the Mustang lose the solid axle setup. So I wonder how long before SVT gets their hands on the Bronco and releases a solid axle for it? Lol

Honestly, I'd have to agree with others in saying that Ford knows the audience they are marketing toward. They are not targeting the 10%* hardcore base; they are after the 90%* who will drive on pavement and light trails. They need this to sell well if upper management is to continue production of a vehicle that has this much hype behind it. So if it sells well to the 90% of their target audience, then they should get the green light to push the envelope on improving their model lineup for the 10% hardcore audience. I'm just as curious as everyone else to see what that brings.

* I just made these percentage figures up for sake of argument. No real research went into this.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Independent Suspension can do work. It may not appeal to everyone, but let's not act like it is completely inept and incapable in the offroad department.

Watch some of these Y62 videos from Australia, might surprise you a bit.

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Independent Suspension can do work. It may not appeal to everyone, but let's not act like it is completely inept and incapable in the offroad department.

Watch some of these Y62 videos from Australia, might surprise you a bit.
It’s a JL forum so the bias will be strong. It’s expected. Long time jeep guy myself, but I welcome the competition to bring the best out of wrangler. New powertrain is going to happen, and I don’t think this is a bad thing. A few tweaks to an already great design won’t hurt either. Wrangler can’t get too comfy
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.