First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Horsepower is WAY less important on the trail. My 3.8 JK has plenty of power in low range.

Horsepower is important when I’m stuck going 55 on a 7% grade and need to pass a semi truck or Prius when a passing lane opens up.
The 3.6 paired with the new 8 spd transmission does not suffer like your 3.8. Those engines were boat anchors mated to a loose stool transmission. I recently drove through most of Texas on I-10 and my Jeep pulled the 7% grades at speed with no real issues.
Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Horsepower is WAY less important on the trail. My 3.8 JK has plenty of power in low range.
Exactly what I meant. :thumbsup:

4.10s and true 37s here....not a single issue passing anyone on mountain grades. I was pleasantly surprised.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

Horsepower is important when I’m stuck going 55 on a 7% grade and need to pass a semi truck or Prius when a passing lane opens up.
You can pass a Prius going up a 7% grade with the 3.8? Kidding aside, you are right about hp...no big deal on the trail, but on the highway it’s way more important.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
The one on the bottom is a 315/70r/17... top one looks a bit bigger for sure.

C717185A-6BB3-4BEF-A39A-54B17AA0AAF2.jpeg
21DC8008-CD1E-49C9-9D1D-98A0503862D4.jpeg
I’ve read all the posts since I saw this one. No one has mentioned this, so I’ll ask:
1. Any thoughts on why the license plate is on opposite sides?
2. Where is the tailpipe in the first shot?
3. Why is the tailpipe in the second picture located in such a place to be easily crushed off roading.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read all the posts since I saw this one. No one has mentioned this, so I’ll ask:
3. Why is the tailpipe in the second picture located in such a place to be easily crushed off roading.
1. To screw with the people who have been waiting 20 years for this to be released.
2. See #1
3. It's got IFS so they don't really care about real off roading which is why they stuck the tailpipe there.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
1. Top picture is mirrored. If you zoom in you can see the numbers on the plate are backwards.
2. I believe that we can't see it due to the camouflage hanging down below the bumper.
3. Because this vehicle is all about looking tough, with very little regard to how it will actually do on trails where that would be a concern.

Maybe all the Karens, and Kyles with their angry eye grills will buy the Bronco and stop molesting perfectly good Wranglers.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Like others have said competition is good for the consumer. I used to shoot weddings and family portraits and there is a never ending battle over Canon versus Nikon. I shoot Canon because of the glass, but if you print an 8x10 you will never tell the difference. Hell the new iPhones are amazing and much lighter to carry around. I was always amazed when people sold all their equipment (and lost thousands of dollars) to switch to the other brand because of a "better"capability. I knew some people who switched multiple times. I remember Scott Kelby (of Photoshop fame) said the best picture he ever took was with a 6 MP Canon Rebel XT ($600 new in 2005) and he shoots with the best rigs money can buy.

I see there's still no love for the Sony/Minolta :-P

A lot of those high end, full frame Nikon and Canon cameras actually use a Sony sensor. I'm heavily invested in Minolta/Sony glass, some of which goes back to the mid 80's, so it doesn't make much sense for me to switch at this point in time..........sort of like why I won't be trading my Jeep Wrangler for a Bronco any time soon.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I see there's still no love for the Sony/Minolta :-P

A lot of those high end, full frame Nikon and Canon cameras actually use a Sony sensor. I'm heavily invested in Minolta/Sony glass, some of which goes back to the mid 80's, so it doesn't make much sense for me to switch at this point in time..........sort of like why I won't be trading my Jeep Wrangler for a Bronco any time soon.
You are correct that Nikon uses Sony sensors and then do processing in camera before the RAW is written to the CF or SD card. Canon produces their own sensors for their DSLRs and they provide RAW images un-processed when written. This is why astro-photographers use Canon almost exclusively. You can use Nikons, but have to turn the camera off immediately after the shutter closes so that the in-camera processing is bypassed.

Sony makes good cameras and their glass is very good. Good that they are pushing Canon and Nikon to continue to innovate. I won't be trading or selling my Rubicon either. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I dread driving any other vehicle we own.

Sponsored

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
There is one HUGE downside for Wrangler owners, especially those of us who lease. The Wrangler has enjoyed the #1 resale value in the U.S. market for many many years. The sole reason for that is because there is nothing else like it. It's the ONLY vehicle on the market with 4x4 and a convertible top combined.

With direct competition, a slice of the Wrangler pie will be eaten and there may be an increase in rebates on Wrangler and/or incentives to buy, which will drive resale down. We've already seen resale fall in the last 12 months because they're building too many Wranglers and inventory is flooded. If they see a further reduction in sales due to Bronco, that will also drive resale down farther.
Why would that be a downside to those of us who lease ??? on the contrary, the residual price will go down because of the competition and if you want to keep your wrangler for a few more years you will do it at a lower residual price. It happened to me with my 2013 grand Cherokee at the end of the lease the residual was 5k less than the market price so I ended up buying it. The residual price in my contract is ridiculously high, I was going to just return it. but if they work with me on the price I might consider keeping it.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
While I agree the engines are no Hemi I don't know that I would call them weak, ESPECIALLY when mated to the 8 speed auto. I'm shocked at how much get up and go the 3.6 has with 37s even while still running the 4.10 gears. That thing still launches and if you punch from a rolling start it shoots like a rocket. Now, the 6 speed manual def doesn't have as much giddy up as the auto, that auto is amazing at getting into the right gear at the right moment.
We had a loaner Jeep the other day that had the little 2.0 turbo in it. That is a noisey engine and I thought it was a joke until I punched it and it snapped my head back into the headrest. I have a new respect for that little thing.
Interesting feedback that your 6 speed with 4.88 gears definitely doesn't have as much giddy up as your auto with 4.10s....considering both are on 37" beadlocks.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
  1. The 1st photo is inverted
  2. It fell off already
  3. Because it is a... Ford
:LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Let's all be honest here, looks is far more important than actual capabilities. We bought our JLs, not because we NEED to get to a particular location, but because they look frickin awesome. The capability was just icing on the cake
That’s a broad generalization.

Jeep styling is more iconic and functional than attractive. Wrangler looks are an acquired taste IMO. Just like beer, blue cheese, or anchovies...

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I don’t know about the exhaust but I mirrored the image for a closer comparison. Didn’t change the proportions in any way though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.