Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Who said anything about drag racing? When your adding 35” or 37” tires you need HP and torque. The 3.6 and the 2 liter turbo are weak options. The bronco is going to really bring that to light soon. It’s all good tho. Jeep will finally have to play ball to keep up haha. I can’t wait to see what they come up with.
While I agree the engines are no Hemi I don't know that I would call them weak, ESPECIALLY when mated to the 8 speed auto. I'm shocked at how much get up and go the 3.6 has with 37s even while still running the 4.10 gears. That thing still launches and if you punch from a rolling start it shoots like a rocket. Now, the 6 speed manual def doesn't have as much giddy up as the auto, that auto is amazing at getting into the right gear at the right moment.
We had a loaner Jeep the other day that had the little 2.0 turbo in it. That is a noisey engine and I thought it was a joke until I punched it and it snapped my head back into the headrest. I have a new respect for that little thing.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Who said anything about drag racing? When your adding 35” or 37” tires you need HP and torque. The 3.6 and the 2 liter turbo are weak options. The bronco is going to really bring that to light soon. It’s all good tho. Jeep will finally have to play ball to keep up haha. I can’t wait to see what they come up with.
I was referring to the comment you quoted on it "killing" the Rubi. I totally intend to get a Bronco, mostly because of the EcoBoost/7-speed combo. But I don't imagine it ever competing against my Rubi on technical trails

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Let's all be honest here, looks is far more important than actual capabilities. We bought our JLs, not because we NEED to get to a particular location, but because they look frickin awesome. The capability was just icing on the cake
Not so sure about that. I dont think a jeep is all that good looking. In fact I think the early bronco's looked better.

The funny thing about looks is how it holds up over time. You can have a great looking rig and find out it performs crappy and your mindset changes. It aint so pretty and you feel differently once you know it's crap.

Kinda like a pretty woman. Yeah she's hot, but over time you just realize she's just a PITA or an air head.

Having a vehicle that performs makes it more and more attractive over time.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Weak? My 3.6 with 4.88's and 37s is an absolute hoot to drive. Do I want more, sure, always, but saying it's weak strikes me funny, at least with the auto.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
This. Hemi is too big to properly fit and they’re terribly inefficient. I have a Daytona and it’s incredibly fun to drive but has absolutely putrid fuel economy. A boxy JL would be much worse.
Doesnt litebrite run a hemi? I recall them saying 16 was the norm and with 40s.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
While I agree the engines are no Hemi I don't know that I would call them weak, ESPECIALLY when mated to the 8 speed auto. I'm shocked at how much get up and go the 3.6 has with 37s even while still running the 4.10 gears. That thing still launches and if you punch from a rolling start it shoots like a rocket. Now, the 6 speed manual def doesn't have as much giddy up as the auto, that auto is amazing at getting into the right gear at the right moment.
We had a loaner Jeep the other day that had the little 2.0 turbo in it. That is a noisey engine and I thought it was a joke until I punched it and it snapped my head back into the headrest. I have a new respect for that little thing.
If you think a Jeep with either engine “shoots like a rocket” you must be driving semi trucks for a living. While my 2.0 E torque is better than expected and faster than my 2015 JKUR was, I would consider it no better than adequate. A turbo 6 with 350 hp and more torque is needed. My Tesla Model 3 shoots like a rocket....

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

isnt too much power while rock crawling a bad thing? easy wheel spin?

i think the Bronco looks great in that pic. it looks big.

i think a coyote would be awesome but i dont really see it happening. im really curious to see how this turns out. i think its going to probably outperform the wrangler in every aspect except rock crawling, due to IFS. if they dont overprice it, i think they'll sell like hotcakes. im sure a lot of people who are fed up with dealing with the wranglers steering and death wobble issues will gladly jump ship. the rock crawler guys will stick with wrangler and just deal with/correct the issues themselves.

if this bronco can sport at least a minor lift and rock big wheels/tires it will satisfy many, many people.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
isnt too much power while rock crawling a bad thing? easy wheel spin?

i think the Bronco looks great in that pic. it looks big.

i think a coyote would be awesome but i dont really see it happening. im really curious to see how this turns out. i think its going to probably outperform the wrangler in every aspect except rock crawling, due to IFS. if they dont overprice it, i think they'll sell like hotcakes. im sure a lot of people who are fed up with dealing with the wranglers steering and death wobble issues will gladly jump ship. the rock crawler guys will stick with wrangler and just deal with/correct the issues themselves.

if this bronco can sport at least a minor lift and rock big wheels/tires it will satisfy many, many people.
While my wife has a new Ford Edge and had a 2008 F-150 King Ranch before that. I can attest to liking their product. We went with Ford for our practical vehicle. Even if the new Bronco did not have IFS I would still not be interested but I am totally biased being raised around Jeeps. Definitely glad Jeep has some competition though.

Status
Not open for further replies.