• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Article my buddy Kamil wrote based on some he spied this weekend. Kamil knows his off-roaders, and especially off-road tires and provides some interesting tidbits of info here. Looks like 35ish tires will be standard on the top-spec one. https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/spied-2021-ford-bronco-and-f-150/

Tires, both their size and type, are extremely important for any off-roader. Trail junkies will argue over narrow pizza-slicer tires versus wide tires, but this rig makes no secrets of its preference. Its Goodyear Wrangler tires appear to be of the 315/70, variety, mounted on what can be considered (by car standards) small, 17-inch wheels. Wheel options will surely be bead-lock capable. With this much rubber width and sidewall, this rig will likely have no issue rolling over whatever is in its path.

Assuming the aforementioned spec, this tire size translates into a 35-inch overall diameter, the same size tire as is on the Ford F-150 Raptor, but that truck uses BFGoodrich’s KO2 all-terrain rubber. The interesting bit is that this Goodyear Wrangler is one of the very few tires in that size that is available in D load rating, as opposed to the common load E. While a lower load rating does reduce the maximum payload, it also makes for a lighter tire. Interestingly, the thread pattern and sidewall protection of the Goodyears on this mystery rig do not match any tire that is currently offered by Goodyear. From the looks of it, the Bronco’s rubber will be a significant upsize from the Ranger Raptor, which has 285/70-17 tires. By comparison, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon wears 33-inch tires, similar to that of the Ranger Raptor, both with load C rating. The Wrangler does have enough fender clearance to fit 35-inch tires without the need for a lift kit. Jeep offers a choice of all- and mud-terrain tires on the Rubicon.
Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Those were not designed by Ford, the Willys Quad started it, but Ford had production capacity, so built Willys design.
They weren't designed by Willys, they were designed by American Bantam. IIRC Ford made most of the design improvements. Willys even took the Ford (9-slot) grille and modified it to become the famous 7 slots. Willys just had the foresight to release a civilian version.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I think this thread would be half the size if people read the posts since their last visit before first posting duplicate information.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I love my JLUR manual but the v6 is definitely a weak point. I have a 3.5 ecoboost and I'd would (almost) kill to get it with a manual behind it. Definitely what has me most excited about the Bronco

Status
Not open for further replies.