First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t think the intention of the Bronco is to realistically appeal to all Wrangler customers. Vice versa. Hardcore rock crawler on one end in a modified Wrangler and asphalt loving, don’t care a bit about off road, stock, Bronco/Wrangler owner on the other with all kinds of overlapping customer base in the middle.

I think it’s obvious Ford is aiming for everyone short of a hardcore rock crawler.

Ram has a Power Wagon and I don’t hear that any SFA competitor is in the works from Ford. The ROI probably wouldn’t be there either.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Uhm......

That's a SFA and it's the only way to get a Tremor.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 1592014818822
Umm...I guess I either misunderstood the mentions and videos on it or this is is a relatively new development. Does the sway bar disconnect too?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Umm...I guess I either misunderstood the mentions and videos on it or this is is a relatively new development. Does the sway bar disconnect too?
New truck. No sway bar disconnect that I'm aware of, but it does come with your choice of Diesel or V8, winch, lift over standard, and 35s. So Ford can do it right. They just didn't think it will be necessary for the Bronco.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Why do people by performance sports cars and not go to the track? Because it looks cool, is fun to drive, and has the "cred" to do it if they wanted to.

If the Bronco looks good and they don't overprice it, it will sell. Actually, even if it is overpriced it will sell at first.
Cool ONLY if it has sports car cred, if it doesnt, it's laughable. IFS is laughable for tech terrain. Therefore bronco is more baja than jeep and will be considered so over time. It will be competing with whatever else is out there that goes fast off road.

If they do show up in tech stuff they will shy away from jeeps so they dont look bad just like 4 runners, FJ's, anything with IFS. But hey maybe ford figured out a new production IFS. We'll see.

Even overpriced bronco will sell in the beginning, cause there are those that want the latest thing. But word gets out that it's not a jeep killer and if ford is smart they stop marketing it as such.

I think for it's REAL intended purpose it's going to be sweet. Going fast on dirt roads is pretty fun....of course it will piss off a lot of people too. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
By your own logic, the 4Runner and Tacoma shouldn't have staying power either...and yet...
4 runner and tocoma arent competing against the jeep. When they wheel it's usually with other like IFS vehicles that are lame. To wheel together with them would only embarrass them.

I have a 4 runner, LOVE it, it aint no jeep and to compare them is silly. Four runner and more specifically toyota has a great rep for reliability but ours wasnt all that great, Still it has a certain something the whole family likes and that something isnt wheeling capability.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I've said it many times...rugged vehicle that can go off-road AND a convertible. There is literally no other option that match these two criteria. They were my main reasons. I will never rock crawl it...doesn't even remotely interest me. If it had an IFS I would not have batted an eye. In fact, I'd probably own two since my wife really likes mine but absolutely hates driving it.
So knowing that the bronco is less capable (less rugged) is ok with you and you know it. And copying jeep with a top that comes off along with doors isnt real imaginative of ford but that doesnt bother you either (me either). That's cool, but others who want a REAL capable tech off road rugged vehicle may feel differently. If they dont know when they buy one they will soon find out. lol

Most want the allure of a jeep that bronco will never have...especially now. The old bronco's will likely kill the new ones (with minor mods) in off road prowess and the new ones will more then likely be in name only.

It's a baja machine and not a jeep killer. The sooner we all realize this the better. Nothing wrong with that and I hope my wife thinks the bronco is cute and we buy one!!

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
It's a baja machine and not a jeep killer. The sooner we all realize this the better. Nothing wrong with that and I hope my wife thinks the bronco is cute and we buy one!!
I think most of the people here DO realize that and they’re saying that the general Jeep-buying majority won’t know/care/understand the technical difference enough for it to matter. Rugged is rugged. Most won’t be Bajaing or rock-crawling.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ford has a lot riding on this ( No pun intended ).
Class Action Lawsuits, (the latest is for the MUSTANGS manual transmission) and a low valuation are serious issues. It needs the Bronco to succeed ; this Forum subject is probably better followed by Ford, than Jeep, as a "playbook". What do we, the intended market share, like/ dislike about our Wranglers ? What features, how much will we pay ? What do we want that Jeep hasn't done/ improved ? Literally millions in market research is here, on this subject, free for the reading.
Ford has Wrangler in its sights ; I welcome this, as competition makes a better product.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
By the way... does no one remember the HMMWV? It has independent suspension in the front and rear. And trust me, that thing can go fucking anywhere.

Not saying Ford is going to go with that setup with the Bronco, but it makes for an interesting thought experiment.

The HMMWV has double A-arm suspension in the front and rear. The four wheel drive is engaged at all times and both differentials are open, but can be locked by placing the transmission in “HL” mode. There’s also a low range.

Of course, it tops out at about 55 mph, gets about 10 mpg, costs a bundle, and is wider than the Bronco will be. But I’ve taken one up some crazy steep inclines with loose gravel and rocks (Fort Irwin) and it’s a goddam billy goat.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
By the way... does no one remember the HMMWV? It has independent suspension in the front and rear. And trust me, that thing can go fucking anywhere.

Not saying Ford is going to go with that setup with the Bronco, but it makes for an interesting thought experiment.

The HMMWV has double A-arm suspension in the front and rear. The four wheel drive is engaged at all times and both differentials are open, but can be locked by placing the transmission in “HL” mode. There’s also a low range.

Of course, it tops out at about 55 mph, gets about 10 mpg, costs a bundle, and is wider than the Bronco will be. But I’ve taken one up some crazy steep inclines with loose gravel and rocks (Fort Irwin) and it’s a goddam billy goat.
As a Army mechanic /master driver trainer, yes I do know the capacity of the HMMWV and its suspension. It is not as good as a stock Rubicon on the twisty stuff, but it does perform well in the desert. The course that I used to use to teach people the capability and limitations of the vehicle on Ft. Hood had a couple of points where it would lift tires, and one in particular where the entire weight of the vehicle would shift and the whole thing felt like it was going to roll as there were only two wheels on the ground. The Bronco won't have the width of the HMMWV, or the 37s. And the short a arm setup captured in the photos will not like high speed off road stuff much either. I'll stick with my Wrangler. I really had hoped that the Bronco would be more than just a hype machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.