Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Lighten up, Francis. That's not what I said.
No, it's exactly what you said.

Just own it.

You got a little tweaked that someone pointed out your "function > form" thing was incorrect with 3 letters, then went on a diatribe about it only mattering to a small amount of actual owners and then doubled down on the poser comment if one doesn't see it the way you do.

I'm done here...unless you want to continue.

Your call. :)
Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
IFS is better in 90% of off-road scenarios, so IFS is better.
And in the other 10%, factory offered IFS is decidedly worse, weaker and unable to complete the same trails/obstacles. The same can't be said of factory offered SFA (which is much more easily, readily and less expensively modded to go FAR beyond the stock capability) as it can go anywhere IFS goes...it just may do it at a slower pace, but that's generally up to the driver and how willing he is to endure a harsher ride.

I've left IFS rigs in the dust on fireroads in a SFA converted truck on leaf springs f/r....it was likely a combination of a massive increase in wheel travel of the conversion and being willing to beat on the truck a little harder than the other people.

IFS is generally limited by arm length/cv angle...and much more so by the factory frame configuration.

Last edited:

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
No, it's exactly what you said.

Just own it.

You got a little tweaked that someone pointed out your "function > form" thing was incorrect with 3 letters, then went on a diatribe about it only mattering to a small amount of actual owners and then doubled down on the poser comment if one doesn't see it the way you do.

I'm done here...unless you want to continue.

Your call. :)
I'll make one attempt to explain this to you. If you prefer SFA because you actually need the benefits of SFA, good for you. If you prefer SFA but the hardest thing you'll ever put it through is a speed bump in the Costco parking lot, you might be a poser. SFA is better for some, IFS is better for others (most others). Giving a point to the Jeep for having SFA is not walking anything back. It is merely acknowledging that for the person who pointed it out, it is apparently a plus. On other metrics, the Bronco might be better. We don't know yet. As for the original post, which had nothing to do with IFS versus SFA, my opinion, expressed in a humorous meme, is that judging vehicles like these based primarily on their looks betrays a form over function mentality which I, for one, associate with being a poser. :like:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It pretty simply comes down to situations where you get your axles crossed up. With SFA (and a balanced vehicle) you tend to maintain a fairly level position while the suspension moves with the terrain. With IFS, the cab tends to be at whatever angle the terrain is under your front tires, and that, my friends, is often unnerving.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
It pretty simply comes down to situations where you get your axles crossed up. With SFA (and a balanced vehicle) you tend to maintain a fairly level position while the suspension moves with the terrain. With IFS, the cab tends to be at whatever angle the terrain is under your front tires, and that, my friends, is often unnerving.
As a former Xterra driver, I couldn't agree more. SFA + disconnectable front sway bar is awesome in such situations.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
wheel arch looks exactly disco 2 not first gen. Headlights look kinda first gen but more like 03/04 disco 2 than first gen. It’s closer to disco 2
Disco 2 front arch is a bit flat. If Ford ti match gen 1 Bronco, it will look like LR Defender. Its difficult to to be completely different when LR havily mimicked Bronco and Jeep at the first place.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
yeah the pics really dont do it to me. But box stock wranglers look just as clunky. It appears to have been copied from jeep in the back, land rover in the middle and does have some bronco up front.

I think what I have always thought. With IFS they need a REALLY solid engine to make up for its short comings in off road. It will sell ok in the beginning with a good motor but peter out as time goes on just like the original.

IFS is has some handling benefits no doubt but I am still completely amazed at the handling of my SFA jeep. Fun is an understatement, as is it's capability.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll make one attempt to explain this to you. If you prefer SFA because you actually need the benefits of SFA, good for you. If you prefer SFA but the hardest thing you'll ever put it through is a speed bump in the Costco parking lot, you might be a poser. SFA is better for some, IFS is better for others (most others). Giving a point to the Jeep for having SFA is not walking anything back. It is merely acknowledging that for the person who pointed it out, it is apparently a plus. On other metrics, the Bronco might be better. We don't know yet. As for the original post, which had nothing to do with IFS versus SFA, my opinion, expressed in a humorous meme, is that judging vehicles like these based primarily on their looks betrays a form over function mentality which I, for one, associate with being a poser. :like:

Tripling down I see.

Thanks for benevolently "attempting" to explain it to me.

You posted a snarky meme and commentary that form was greater than function for posers...and reiterated it time and again.

I stand by my original commentary; both the IFS is generally less functional for extreme use (see the comment I made to Covfefe if you're unclear) AND it's none of our business what others choose their vehicles based upon.

If you'd like to specifically challenge either of those premises, continue on.

If not, I see no need to continue the discussion, unless you just want to repeat your circular logic.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The real question that has yet to be answered is... how’s it going to look at the mall? Or parked in front of the ice cream shop? Inquiring minds DEMAND to know! :CWL:

chipbutty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
non yet
So many of you clowns clamoring to be the most hard core. It's friggin' hilarious. And this mall crawler horseshit. Give it a rest. I like the Wrangler and I'm interested in the Bronco. I drive an Accord! Remember...without the mall crawling plebs buying JLUs as fast as they can make em, the model...maybe entire brand would be dead so shaddap already.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I saw on the news that the NYC autoshow was postponed till August. Wasn't that the expected event for Ford ? Or did I pick the wrong week to quit drinking? (Thank you Lloyd Bridges)

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
The people working on this are supposedly almost unanimously saying the interior is their favorite part. If that’s the case I think they’ll have a hit. The built in tube doors and much better hard top design have me very intrigued.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I'm not saying these renderings are ugly but I find the JL to be much better looking. I think the large majority of the general public would agree. The older Broncos look much better to me than the renderings. I can't say that about older Jeeps compared to the JL.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.