Not open for further replies.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Hopefully it doesn't take another 5 years to figure out if Ford's going to build a 'competitor' that really deserves the title, or just some "all hat and no cattle" lifestyle wannabe that will shame Ford like the Blazer.
Hope not, and same for the all hat comment.

For those saying if it ends up being IFS it doesn't matter to the most of the public I think this is mostly wrong. It's like saying it doesn't matter if the motor doesn't matter in a Corvette since most will never go the speeds is capable of.

Many people buy things because of it's capability and have zero intention of using that capability. Jeep is hands down the most capable off road vehicle you can buy from the dealer. I would LOVE to see the bronco beat it or even come close. Unless it has some magical factory IFS it just wont be taken seriously.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

For those saying if it ends up being IFS it doesn't matter to the most of the public I think this is mostly wrong. It's like saying it doesn't matter if the motor doesn't matter in a Corvette since most will never go the speeds is capable of.

Many people buy things because of it's capability and have zero intention of using that capability. Jeep is hands down the most capable off road vehicle you can buy from the dealer. I would LOVE to see the bronco beat it or even come close. Unless it has some magical factory IFS it just wont be taken seriously.
I see what you're saying but I can't get behind the analogy. An engine and power (multiple Tim Taylor grunts) is far more tangible to the average consumer than suspension.

Furthermore, bragging rights are a huge factor for most. Unless you work in a 4x4 shop, try this: take 10 guys from work and say "My Vette has 600 horsepower" and record the general reactions.

Now try "my Jeep has a solid front axle." Out of 10 guys, you might find one who gets it, one who says, "Isn't that old? I thought independent front suspension was better?" and eight deer-in-the-headlight stares.

MOST consumers will be overwhelmed by the gloss and lipstick of the new Bronco if they do it right ("ooh shiny!"). That pesky suspension stuff is underneath, out of sight, unlike a removeable top.

Plus, they'll figure, it'll still do pretty good off-road. It sits high, it might even have a rear locker, and after all nearly all trucks and SUVs are IFS these days they'll reason.

Throw in a favorable review from Four Wheeler where they gave it a softball run on some desert back road, and soccer dad is SOLD!

I really do see what you're saying and not criticizing you, but suspension underpinnings are just far less tangible to the mind of the consumer than HP, the latter of which obviously equates to the size of your genitals....

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I doubt itll be SFA. The last SFA Bronco rolled off the line in 1979, FORTY years ago. TTB after that. I hope I'm wrong, but it's not going to be SFA or even TTB. The best to hope for is a really good IFS system

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I see what you're saying but I can't get behind the analogy. An engine and power (multiple Tim Taylor grunts) is far more tangible to the average consumer than suspension.

Furthermore, bragging rights are a huge factor for most. Unless you work in a 4x4 shop, try this: take 10 guys from work and say "My Vette has 600 horsepower" and record the general reactions.

Now try "my Jeep has a solid front axle." Out of 10 guys, you might find one who gets it, one who says, "Isn't that old? I thought independent front suspension was better?" and eight deer-in-the-headlight stares.

MOST consumers will be overwhelmed by the gloss and lipstick of the new Bronco if they do it right ("ooh shiny!"). That pesky suspension stuff is underneath, out of sight, unlike a removeable top.

Plus, they'll figure, it'll still do pretty good off-road. It sits high, it might even have a rear locker, and after all nearly all trucks and SUVs are IFS these days they'll reason.

Throw in a favorable review from Four Wheeler where they gave it a softball run on some desert back road, and soccer dad is SOLD!

I really do see what you're saying and not criticizing you, but suspension underpinnings are just far less tangible to the mind of the consumer than HP, the latter of which obviously equates to the size of your genitals....
Dang it- this just made too much sense to be posted on a Sunday.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also I'm not saying no one should buy the new Bronco - if it ever comes to fruition.

If they could make a decent mini truck version I might consider it for a parts runner as I see zero reason to try to 'wheel a Gladiator and I don't need a SFA for a fun daily/runner.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

I agree fully with this. The Wrangler, is a Halo vehicle. It brings people to the brand because they know what "could" be done. Even though they won't do the same things. They like to see other people doing crazy things on the Rubicon trail on YouTube. Then show their buddies the video and say that they could do that with their Jeep.

The Bronco is going to need to be competitive with that if they intend to disrupt the Wrangler market share. Like @D60 said, they will get at least some level of success so long as they throw the right shade of lipstick on their pig. But they won't have long term staying power in the market if they don't get the people who are crazy like us, to consider it a viable option. It's going to be difficult to do that with IFS. Because those of us who know, won't be interested. So there won't be as many people who invest their time and money into making the Bronco "cool." So the average person may not know what solid axles are or why we like them. But he will see that there aren't as many "cool" Broncos as there are Jeeps. And if he does buy it anyway, he will learn how expensive it is to lift and modify, so his chances of realizing that "cool" dream will never come true.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I will be surprised if the Bronco competes with the Wrangler on the styling front. Chrysler has some damn good designers. OTOH, I can't wait to see if it's as "capable". If it is we'll finally see if the "capability" people stick their money where their mouth is lol.

-wanders off to apply more car polish to his shiny rubicon mall crawler-

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I've been thinking about it, especially with the SFA vs. IFS and if the Bronco will be able to compete with Wrangler. I don't know if anyone has mentioned the FJ Cruiser yet, but I could see Bronco following a similar trajectory ... and we all know how and why that ended. It may stick around a little longer... but to establish itself in the field it's going to need to beat the Wrangler on price or performance, Possibly both.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
People may not utilize the capability of the solid front axle but here’s what IMO will force Ford to do it: Ease of adding a lift kit. Lifting anything IFS is a whole different ballgame over a solid front, and it limits the effective tire size you can have. Only 1% of Jeep owners actually put a 37” tire on their Jeep but those are the jeeps that sell the image, and sell the mopar 2” lift kit as well. Ford realizes this and if they keep it IFS it will pretty much be limited to 35’s.

if anyone doubts this, here is a picture of Bill Ford’s personal bronco. He gets it,

CA016801-D88E-4821-BD77-4881CFA144E1.jpeg

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
People may not utilize the capability of the solid front axle but here’s what IMO will force Ford to do it: Ease of adding a lift kit. Lifting anything IFS is a whole different ballgame over a solid front, and it limits the effective tire size you can have. Only 1% of Jeep owners actually put a 37” tire on their Jeep but those are the jeeps that sell the image, and sell the mopar 2” lift kit as well. Ford realizes this and if they keep it IFS it will pretty much be limited to 35’s.
This is another huge factor. I've talked to some people who buy trucks, and want to get into off roading. Then they see the cost for an IFS Lift, winch bumper, etc. and they either buy an old 4x4 or ATV's or they sell the truck on a Wrangler.

Also: 1% seems low, unless you mean only 1% of wrangler owners buy, install, and use 37's to their fullest potential. ;)

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
This is another huge factor. I've talked to some people who buy trucks, and want to get into off roading. Then they see the cost for an IFS Lift, winch bumper, etc. and they either buy an old 4x4 or ATV's or they sell the truck on a Wrangler.

Also: 1% seems low, unless you mean only 1% of wrangler owners buy, install, and use 37's to their fullest potential. ;)
I'd say I see 100+ jeeps with less than 37" tires for every one I see with 37s. Most JK owners stop at 35s.

Keep in mind, what you view, is regional. I live 3+ hours of highway driving away from anywhere you can go rock crawling in a Jeep.

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
In case anyone is counting, over 75,000 people have followed this "Bronco" thread.
On a Wrangler forum. That's saying something about the interest in "competition "
My 2cents from a Bronco guy, specifically an Early Bronco guy. The 66-77 Bronco’s had a removable top and a fold down windshield. If Ford Had a brain they would build a Retro Bronco true to the early ones. They would sell like hot cakes to guys like me. In 78 Ford let the Bronco get fat with the full size body style. Jeep did it right all along. They stayed true to what a Jeep was. Yeah they gave it all the bells and whistles but the Wrangler is still a bad-ass off roader. I love my JL but if they come up with the Bronco the way it should be, with an SFA of course, there will be one in my garage, next to the JL.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
From another Bronco guy (specifically an 84 Bronco II guy). I got tired of waiting on Ford and bought a JLUR. I have 4 other Fords in the driveway. This is my first non Ford since 1995.

So far, no test mues have been spotted with SFA
Test miles have been spotted with something going on in the rear suspension.
Ford has not used SFA in a US market vehicle since 1979 other than the Super Duty and Excursion.
The Baby Bronco is supposed to be base on the Escape platform with I different body.
The Bronco is supposed to be based on the Ranger Platform.
The Everest is based on the Ranger platform.
The Ranger Raptor is IFS.

This all leads me to the conclusion that the Bronco will also be IFS. Not what I'd like to see, but what I suspect.

They may surprise me. They did just return to a RWD Explorer, but I suspect that was more for the Police Interceptors than the Explorer.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.