• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
You seem pretty enthralled with the Bronco so why are you over here in JL land?
I'm shopping/researching my next vehicle purchase, and I'm not committed to any model or brand. The Wrangler has a lot of the qualities I'm looking for, but Jeep and FCA have some issues and sales/design philosophies that make me wary.

The information on the Bronco is quite limited, but the Wrangler is actively being built, purchased, and talked about by current, former and future owners. I'd be a fool not to tap into that informational resource before spending $50k+

I would say that the Bronco will compete directly with Wrangler for sales, such as my own, and I have visited forums such as this to get the perspective of people who do have a vested or preferential commitment to Jeep, Ford, Wrangler, or the Bronco.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm shopping/researching my next vehicle purchase, and I'm not committed to any model or brand. The Wrangler has a lot of the qualities I'm looking for, but Jeep and FCA have some issues and sales/design philosophies that make me wary.

The information on the Bronco is quite limited, but the Wrangler is actively being built, purchased, and talked about by current, former and future owners. I'd be a fool not to tap into that informational resource before spending $50k+

I would say that the Bronco will compete directly with Wrangler for sales, such as my own, and I have visited forums such as this to get the perspective of people who do have a vested or preferential commitment to Jeep, Ford, Wrangler, or the Bronco.
Fair enough, wise move. As an owner I can tell you we've had our fair share of problems...

Steering bar replaced
Tie rod end replaced
2 tires replaced due to above components taking three months to come in
Radiator replaced

Replacing has finally stopped thankfully. All in all still wouldn't trade it for the world (would trade for a Rubi though). We bought in hook line and sinker to the culture and off roading.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Honestly I don't think they are ever going to put out something (Bronco included) that will ever truly compare with the Jeep. I.E. doors off, top off, dual solid axle and true off the show room floor off road/rock crawling capabilities. Not to mention lockers and sway bar disco on the Rubi.

Toyota had a chance to do something with the FJ and they blew it and I suspect Ford will do the same. The renditions I've seen of the bronco are meh IMO. ...
I suspect you're probably right, unfortunately. What the Bronco could beat the Wrangler in is sales, regardless of how fruity it might be compared to the Wrangler when it comes to hard core off road wheeling. Just look at today's average Jeep or Wrangler buyer, and the explosion of Unlimited sales compared to the classic 2-door. I think there is a good chance Ford will eat Jeep's lunch financially with the right combination of qualities put into the Bronco, and that could trigger a very undesirable change of direction in the design of the Wrangler in the future.

While I'm sure there are people working on the Wrangler from the production line up to corporate management that love the 'classic' idea of the jeep. That won't necessarily stop FCA or whatever the next company to own the trademark is from twisting it too far out of that conceptual mold in order to make a buck today or tomorrow. I've seen it happen to lots of companies and iconic products. It might be happening right now to the Bronco.

The right kind of competition could make them both better. The wrong kind could make them both worse.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect you're probably right, unfortunately. What the Bronco could beat the Wrangler in is sales, regardless of how fruity it might be compared to the Wrangler when it comes to hard core off road wheeling. Just look at today's average Jeep or Wrangler buyer, and the explosion of Unlimited sales compared to the classic 2-door. I think there is a good chance Ford will eat Jeep's lunch financially with the right combination of qualities put into the Bronco, and that could trigger a very undesirable change of direction in the design of the Wrangler in the future.

While I'm sure there are people working on the Wrangler from the production line up to corporate management that love the 'classic' idea of the jeep. That won't necessarily stop FCA or whatever the next company to own the trademark is from twisting it too far out of that conceptual mold in order to make a buck today or tomorrow. I've seen it happen to lots of companies and iconic products. It might be happening right now to the Bronco.

The right kind of competition could make them both better. The wrong kind could make them both worse.
I hope you're wrong but I follow you. All hell will break loose if they ever turned the Wrangler into an SUV.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
  1. Not sure why this thread was revived in this forum.....it certainly belongs in the “Other Vehicles; General Automotive Chat” forum.
  2. We know NOTHING about the Bronco except it will be built on the existing “Ranger” platform.
  3. Ford claims the top will be removable and the doors will fit into the vehicle........They are going to have to make Micro-Doors to fit them in the back of the Bronco. Really the Jeep doors are small and there is NO way they would fit in the back of the Jeep. Maybe they will be half or one third doors cause I simply cannot imagine two....let alone four doors fitting in the back.
  4. Reality is we really know nothing about this vehicle.....period.
  5. It will be a direct competitor to the Wrangler & Gladiator.....ya...just like all the other Ford products that they are currently selling. Does anyone really think that the Bronco is going to be a radical departure from Fords Ranger....which the Bronco is based off of. Dollars and Cents point to a Ranger with some new styled sheet metal....perhaps some unique Bronco options. Nothing more.
  6. How often has a manufacturer developed a unique production vehicle to compete with an ESTABLISHED successful vehicle? In this case Ford is NOT doing that either ! They have already announced that the Bronco will be based on the Ranger platform. Basing it on the Ranger is the safest most prudent way to test out the market.
  7. Jeep has nothing to worry about.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.motor1.com/news/348572/ford-bronco-underbody-spy-shots/amp/

Not sure why everyone is so against the Bronco, but it does appear Ford is trying to build a truly off-road capable vehicle. While it may not be a 1:1 match for the Rubicon, my guess is that it will be much better off-road than say a grand Cherokee. If it splits the difference between a grand Cherokee and a Rubicon in terms of comfort and reliability and does most of what a Rubicon will do off-road I think it will be a hit. Granted it will be a new model and sure to have its own bugs to work out, but I would not discount it just because it's not a wrangler. In fact, That may be a selling point if they do it right. In almost every review of the new JL and even the Gladiator there is mention of the horrible steering, poor on road manners. If ford can make a off-road vehicle that is more street friendly and still has the platform to go off-road it would be worth checking out. Frankly I welcome another vehicle to the class. Force Jeep to be more creative and look at more improvements. A 10yr design cycle will be tough to keep if there are others in the class that could be cross shopped. As of now, you pretty much have to get a wrangler. That will soon change.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Funny, as bad as the Jeep reputation is for issues, it seems that every buyback story seems to include prior stories of Ford buybacks..
Ford sees a high margin, successful vehicle selling for upwards to $60k and will throw their hat in the ring. It'll be interesting but don't count on it being an "all in" commitment.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I used to be a big fan of Fords but honestly they’re kind of garbage now, the focus RS’s engine was made with the wrong gaskets because somehow Ford sent the gaskets for the 2.3 in the mustang and not HO 2.3 causing failures. The Focus engines had massive failures a year or two ago, the basic natural aspirated focus. According to car and driver the eco boost raptors lose a significant amount of power and have slower 1/4 mile times/0-60 times by 40,000 miles. The mustangs use a German transmission built in China which has had too many problems to where the DOT got involved, the GT350 has the same transmission as a 4 cylinder Camaro. The Coyote doesn’t have proper balancing and the vibration and higher revs cause the oil pump gears to shatter in some stock engines. In some mustang forums people have claimed about Ford refusing to honor warranties on transmission and some engines on stock vehicles, I know it’s hearsay but a lot of people have complained. I’d buy a Coyote and replace the oil pump gears and a better harmonic balancer but right now I’d never buy a Ford vehicle.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I used to be a big fan of Fords but honestly they’re kind of garbage now, I’d never buy a Ford vehicle.
I have an uncle who was a service manager for a Ford dealership. He had a lot of different vehicles when I was growing up. Usually well used, he'd buy a cheap vehicle and fix it up, then sell it. One day I realized that I never saw him drive a Ford. I thought it was odd, with him working at the dealership and all. So I asked him why he didn't drive a Ford. His reply was that he wasn't that stupid. So I asked him why he works for a Ford dealer if he doesn't like the vehicles. And he said "I'm not dumb enough to buy a Ford, but I'm smart enough to work somewhere that has job security."

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I had a cousin that owned a small Ford dealership. After he sold it, the entire family went out and bought different brands! They were loyal to him, not Ford. Me? I've had several Fords and I must be either poison or unlucky cause I did not have good ownership experiences. But, I have seen my friends have good luck with theirs.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The Bronco like that Ranger will be a piece of junk.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.