First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It's widely recognized that there are several Bronco Test Mules out there. We have several pictures of them. At this point in product development they should be testing a nearly completed version of the vehicle. Look back to the JL or the new Corvette for a timeline comparison. None of the mules have solid axles, and they look like they have the same suspension configuration as the Everest. The only removable top that has been seen is the removable bed cap like the last generation of full size Broncos.
Sponsored

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
As time marches on and things change I think back to what Grandpa Simpson said, " I use to be with IT, but they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT and what's IT seems scary and weird. It'll happen to YOU!"

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
... What makes what we have seen of the Bronco so far, different from the FJ Cruiser? ... why will the Bronco succeed where the FJ failed? It is trying to grab the exact same piece of the market.
  • Removable top and doors.
  • More engine output with better theoretical economy.
  • Classic rectangular SUV aesthetic instead of bubble body.
  • Actual 2 and 4 door models while retaining competitive wheelbase.

How about we put it this way instead... Assuming the rumors are true, what makes the Bronco and different than the Wrangler?
  • IFS vs solid.
  • Interior space and ride comfort.
  • Probably tow rating. (Everest is good for 6.5k lb so even an off-road Bronco suspension tune probably exceeds Wrangler's 3.5k)
  • Probably engine output and economy. ( snappy turbos might not be the best for offroading, but on the street Ford can blow them away)
  • Possibly safety and technology features (Wrangler is well known for dreadful safety ratings tradeoff for offroading capability -- newly designed Ford Bronco with less compromise could show them up)
  • Possibly transmisions (7 v 6 manuals, 10 v 8 autos, tuning refinement, AWD + 4x4 (done in raptor)).

Bronco can beat both of them in the eyes of the average buyer who wants a more comfortable car like experience with that classic adventure SUV look, while enthusiasts who really push the limits are likely to either favor the Wrangler, or be forced to swap axles for the Bronco -- which is only a bit more inconvenient than what some of them are doing for the Wrangler with upgrading axles already anyway. People in the middle will need more details and have a hard choice. It could come down to personal preference for aesthetic, X or Y feature, or brand preference etc.

There are enough people who don't really care about extreme off road capability that Ford could steal a lot of sales. The development of the Unlimited expanded the demographic, and refinements to road driving quality over the last couple generations have also extended Jeep/Wrangler sales.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

• IFS vs solid.
  • Probably tow rating. (Everest is good for 6.5k lb so even an off-road Bronco suspension tune probably exceeds Wrangler's 3.5k)
  • Probably engine output and economy. ( snappy turbos might not be the best for offroading, but on the street Ford can blow them away)
  • Possibly safety and technology features (Wrangler is well known for dreadful safety ratings tradeoff for offroading capability -- newly designed Ford Bronco with less compromise could show them up)
  • Possibly transmisions (7 v 6 manuals, 10 v 8 autos, tuning refinement, AWD + 4x4 (done in raptor)).

Bronco can beat both of them in the eyes of the average buyer who wants a more comfortable car like experience with that classic adventure SUV look, while enthusiasts who really push the limits are likely to either favor the Wrangler, or be forced to swap axles for the Bronco -- which is only a bit more inconvenient than what some of them are doing for the Wrangler with upgrading axles already anyway. People in the middle will need more details and have a hard choice. It could come down to personal preference for aesthetic, X or Y feature, or brand preference etc.

There are enough people who don't really care about extreme off road capability that Ford could steal a lot of sales. The development of the Unlimited expanded the demographic, and refinements to road driving quality over the last couple generations have also extended Jeep/Wrangler sales.
The rumours I've read point to a solid front axle, removable tops and doors, a boxy form and an obvious focus on being an off-roader.

Now, all of this remains to be seen... But if true, then the only real difference will be who does it "better".

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
The Bronco is not scheduled to begin production until December of 2020 as a 2021 model. The fact that anyone would say the know anything about anything based on rumor or opinion still baffles me. It has been reported that Ford is building the T6 platform for both Ranger and Bronco. Eye witness accounts claim fully removable top and doors with onboard storage solutions. The article that started this thread claims that the Bronco will have both front and rear solid axles but we have not spotted any test mules with a solid front. I would think that with more that 18 months before production begins there could be more mules under construction. The only thing we do know is that we know nothing.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
The Bronco is not scheduled to begin production until December of 2020 as a 2021 model. The fact that anyone would say the know anything about anything based on rumor or opinion still baffles me. ...
You said that literally right after you claimed to know something about it that has not been officially announced and is 100% rumor.

Congratulations.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

• IFS vs solid.

yeah a better engine would be ...er..a..better. But that 3.6 is an absolute hoot so the power train would have to be amazing for me to jump ship.
Interior space and ride would be in the same category. My ride is amazing, space is about perfect
Tow rating is big. I cant believe the jeep is just 3.5k I have to wonder if it's the springs that give it such a low rating?? If so, no biggy.
Safety rating. meh
Transmission, again same as motor, the 8 speed is amazing, 10 speed likely better but not enough.

I had to laugh about your "just swap out IFS for a solid axle" That's a pretty big job and pretty expensive when you have a jeep sitting there with dana 44s in place already.

As far as all the remarks (including some of my own) on the masses not caring about IFS. Not buying it. For MANY it's not a matter of THEM doing the hard core stuff, it's the fact that it can. Same thing for a car that will do 200mph or whatever, the owner will likely never see that or even try 1/4 speed tests, just knowing it can is the allure. Put another engine in that same vehicle for what the owner really needs and it's not the same.

TRUE off road capability has allure whether you use it or not.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
OK Mr Policeman I will rephrase my statement to read the Bronco is not TENTATIVELY scheduled to begin production till December 2020. That better officer?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The rumours I've read point to a solid front axle, removable tops and doors, a boxy form and an obvious focus on being an off-roader.

Now, all of this remains to be seen... But if true, then the only real difference will be who does it "better".
If it has a solid axle I might jump ship if the other features add up. I have waited on building my jeep up hoping I'd hear something by now. WTF are they waiting for. lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
OK Mr Policeman I will rephrase my statement to read the Bronco is not TENTATIVELY scheduled to begin production till December 2020. That better officer?
Not really. How do you know it isn't November, or September, or July? Even something released in May would probably be referred to with a model-year designation of the following year's numeral.

The only info from Ford is that it could be as soon as three months after the Baby/Maverick/whatever that we also don't know the release date of and haven't even seen either (statements made at Escape release), but both are likely to happen in 2020 (SEC / financial filing), and the Bronco is probably "late" 2020 ("Baby Bronco" is supposed to be "early"; early+3='late').

Even if you ascribed to a qualitative Early-Middle-Late philosophy rather than a Early-Late philosophy, it could mean anything from September to December instead of July-December.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Did you read the Bronco 6G threads I linked to. The guy is rumored to be inside Ford at a pretty high level. Unless he has a writer he communicates like in an informed intelligent source. Plus the Ford website says 2021.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Did you read the Bronco 6G threads I linked to. The guy is rumored to be inside Ford at a pretty high level. Unless he has a writer he communicates like in an informed intelligent source. Plus the Ford website says 2021.
Clearly, you didn't read it very well, or you wouldn't need to ask that question.

The problem with his statements, is that they are entirely anonymous. An anonymous user cannot "verify" another anonymous user. While it is possible that some enthusiastic Ford employee with some 'insider' knowledge might choose to engage with the community, and I would like to believe that is probable, it is just as possible that it is entirely BS or poorly informed half-information from a low level employee. Until someone who isn't anonymous, or Ford itself, says otherwise, we don't know.

As far as the Ford website, I'm guessing you mean this thing you couldn't be bothered to read more that two words into on their future vehicles page? ...

2020.png

You still need to take your own advice.

BTW, I'm the most prolific poster on that forum and responded to that post multiple times, as recently as yesterday.
duh.png

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
OMG I know this is all rumor I have stated 37,443 times that what I write is opinion just like what you say. We are not being held to the journalist standard that we cannot publish until the story is verified by two independent sources. Why do you feel such a need to argue and counter everything I write? If it makes your little heart happy I will retract everything I have posted so that YOU can be right about everything, because in your mind you already are.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
... Why do you feel such a need to argue and counter everything I write? ...
Because you're spreading false and misleading information, and I think the community deserves better than that.

If you can't take criticism, you might want to try dishing less of it out yourself.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.