Not open for further replies.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I've had many a Jeep over my lifetime...
My JL, is paid for... had it over 2 years now.

I plan to blow it off fairly soon and park a 2 door Bronco in my garage.. Unless the Bronco is not the vehicle that I think it will be.

My last Ford was a new 2003 Ford Lightning (SVT) Ford can do things right.. Time will tell in regard to the new Bronco.

ltn.jpg

interior.jpg

IMG_0355.JPG
Ford can do things right when they actually care. Their mediocre stuff is pretty bleh. But Mustang, F-150, Ford GT, and now Bronco are all their “halo” models and they put a lot of time and effort in. Same as FCA I guess... lots of money put into wrangler/gladiator, rams, and challenger/charger and everything else pretty much dies on the vine.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Every New Ford Bronco Will Come With a Free Off-Road Driving School

July 7, 2020

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/every-ford-bronco-come-free-120000002.html
The comments in the yahoo article are pretty funny. One commenter had it correct though, this experience will be built into the price. I think it should be an option and it is a good option. When we got our 2019 JLUR last July it was our first off-road vehicle. Luckily there are so many Jeep or off-road groups in Southern Arizona that I could learn from others and gain confidence. My stock Jeep is probably still waiting for me to do something tough, but having done Broken Arrow with no issue, I know I am the one holding it back.

I am curious to see if Ford will try to develop a Jeep Jamboree knock-off. I am not switching to a Bronco, there is a reason there are big gaps in its product availability and one may be that Ford has two real models, The F-150 and the Mustang. Those are the bread and butter vehicles and what they are really known for.

I am glad they are getting back into the segment as it will, as others have stated so many other times, force FCA to continue innovating and improving the Wrangler.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
The comments in the yahoo article are pretty funny. One commenter had it correct though, this experience will be built into the price. I think it should be an option and it is a good option. When we got our 2019 JLUR last July it was our first off-road vehicle. Luckily there are so many Jeep or off-road groups in Southern Arizona that I could learn from others and gain confidence. My stock Jeep is probably still waiting for me to do something tough, but having done Broken Arrow with no issue, I know I am the one holding it back.

I am curious to see if Ford will try to develop a Jeep Jamboree knock-off. I am not switching to a Bronco, there is a reason there are big gaps in its product availability and one may be that Ford has two real models, The F-150 and the Mustang. Those are the bread and butter vehicles and what they are really known for.

I am glad they are getting back into the segment as it will, as others have stated so many other times, force FCA to continue innovating and improving the Wrangler.
I wonder if this will be on a closed course and be similar to the Land Rover Experience at Eastnor Castle.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The SFA is not just beneficial in the rocks. Rocks are just IFS biggest weakness. But I will take a SFA rig with the sway bar disconnected over IFS on rutted out fire roads any day. I don't need that harsh ride.

Also, I installed a 2 inch lift by myself with just a floor jack and standard tools in less than 2 hours for my Wrangler. It cost less than 300 dollars too. That easy to work on customization is something that the Bronco's IFS will not be able to provide.

And I still seriously doubt the validity of the claims that there will be a version on 37s. The mules have only had 33s on them. I don't doubt that Ford will show off a customized one during the unveil that has 37s. (Like the Jeeps at EJS) And they may be selling a Ford Performance lift kit that can fit them as well. (Just like Jeep does) But a factory package with 37s seems very far fetched.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
The SFA is not just beneficial in the rocks. Rocks are just IFS biggest weakness. But I will take a SFA rig with the sway bar disconnected over IFS on rutted out fire roads any day. I don't need that harsh ride.

Also, I installed a 2 inch lift by myself with just a floor jack and standard tools in less than 2 hours for my Wrangler. It cost less than 300 dollars too. That easy to work on customization is something that the Bronco's IFS will not be able to provide.

And I still seriously doubt the validity of the claims that there will be a version on 37s. The mules have only had 33s on them. I don't doubt that Ford will show off a customized one during the unveil that has 37s. (Like the Jeeps at EJS) And they may be selling a Ford Performance lift kit that can fit them as well. (Just like Jeep does) But a factory package with 37s seems very far fetched.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 6ACF5F88-E1F2-47AF-9B62-7332C55D6F7B
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 7B57913E-4316-4ED7-9A73-478A9F39B8C5
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 9696E2ED-230A-44AC-BE61-07A034539BC4

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Well we’ll find out in a week who’s right because this is just he said she said. I get where y’all are coming from, but at this point I think it’s pretty obvious that Ford wrote a blank check for this thing. And honestly, it makes me wish that Jeep had gone a bit outside the box for the JL. The JL is great, don’t get me wrong, but following the formula to a T and not innovating a bit more may have been a mistake. If nothing else Ford is thinking way outside the box with this.
I don't really agree. Look at where we are with the JL versus the JK. There are 3 (soon to be 4 including a hybrid) engines, a truck, a one-touch top, improved soft-top, off-road pages in the cluster and the infotainment, a front trail-cam, better angles all around, the largest tires stock they have ever had, the best axles they have every had, and a Mojave desert runner.

That is not being complacent. I do wish that FCA had their turbo 6 ready. And I wish there were half doors and better gearing options from the factory. I have been vocal about how I think they have messed up their standard features and trim levels. But the JL/JT is a nice platform.

And by the time the Bronco is fully ramped up Jeep will be refreshing the JL (around 2023 model year).

I don't think the Bronco will be exposing weaknesses in the Wrangler. The Bronco may be great, but that doesn't mean the Wrangler is not great too. And if it wasn't for the Wrangler there would be no Bronco.

Last edited:

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
@Nickp01 We don't know what that is yet. It's definitely not a mule though. As it hasn't actually been seen driving anywhere. It's very likely that it's a Ford Performance one off. To showcase what could be done. Just like Jeep does at Moab with the Mopar EJS vehicles. Some of which have been very wild, but mostly showcase parts that the consumer can buy at the dealership to make their Jeep more capable. With the Method Race wheels on there, I am fairly certain that this is the case here as well.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think IFS is a weakness at all. Ford could have went with a SFA but chose not to. Why do you think that was? Maybe better on road handling? Where I spend 99% of the time driving my Jeep. Don’t get me wrong, the Wrangler is not bad on road, but it could be much better. I think Ford went with IFS specifically for that reason.
IFS is not a weakness.. IFS in a <$50k vehicle is an extreme weakness.. they can't do it.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
@Nickp01 We don't know what that is yet. It's definitely not a mule though. As it hasn't actually been seen driving anywhere. It's very likely that it's a Ford Performance one off. To showcase what could be done. Just like Jeep does at Moab with the Mopar EJS vehicles. Some of which have been very wild, but mostly showcase parts that the consumer can buy at the dealership to make their Jeep more capable. With the Method Race wheels on there, I am fairly certain that this is the case here as well.
Even if it is just showing off ford performance parts.... what kind of crazy IFS is Bronco running that they are going to advertise it being capable of running 37’s in any way? Or is it a solid axle swap? I don’t know which is more interesting but this mule definitely leaves us with more questions than answers.

I don't really agree. Look at where we are with the JL versus the JK. There are 3 (soon to be 4 including a hybrid) engines, a truck, a one-touch top, improved soft-top, off-road pages in the cluster and the infotainment, a front trail-cam, better angles all around, the largest tires stock they have ever had, the best axles they have every had, and a Mojave desert runner.

That is not being complacent. I do wish that FCA had their turbo 6 ready. And I wish there were half doors and better gearing options from the factory. I have been vocal about how I think they have messed up their standard features and trim levels. But the JL/JT is a nice platform.

And by the time the Bronco is fully ramped up Jeep will be refreshing the JL (around 2023).

I don't think the Bronco will be exposing weaknesses in the Wrangler. The Bronco may be great, but that doesn't mean the Wrangler is not great too. And if it wasn't for the Wrangler there would be no Bronco.
Never said the wrangler isn’t great... I own one and it’s a fantastic vehicle. And the JL is leagues better. But from what I’ve read, and heard, and seen, Bronco is gunning to absolutely demolish Jeep. And while yes, Jeep has made some advances they have also become complacent IMO. The Rubicon formula has been unchanged for 13 years other than SLIGHTLY bigger tires, next gen axles, and more articulation with the JL. The main powertrain, and honestly the only one I would trust if I was buying a JL, is the 3.6 non-hybrid which has been basically unchanged for 8 years. The hard top that 90% of people go with is basically unchanged except for the screws in the JK being left off the JL. (I never put mine in)

The JL is an evolution, and the Bronco is trying to be a revolution from what I can tell. And sometimes revolutions fail, which is why Jeep probably didn’t change as much as they could have. But like I said, we will have to wait another 6 days to truly find out.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Even if it is just showing off ford performance parts.... what kind of crazy IFS is Bronco running that they are going to advertise it being capable of running 37’s in any way? Or is it a solid axle swap? I don’t know which is more interesting but this mule definitely leaves us with more questions than answers.
It will likely be a drop bracket kit for the IFS components. This is merely speculation. But I highly doubt that Ford would waste the time engineering a complex kit. It would be very cost prohibitive. Which is why I am fairly certain that it won't be something that would need a ton of R&D like a wide arm kit, or SFA conversion. The take rate is just too low to justify it. Again, time will tell. I enjoy browsing the 6G site for laughs. Everyone is convinced that what is likely another fanboy is some insider that is giving them information.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Me thinks that Jeep has absolutely anticipated this rollout and had all the intel
needed for the next gen models to continue being in the #1 spot they’ve enjoyed for so long.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
And while yes, Jeep has made some advances they have also become complacent IMO. The Rubicon formula has been unchanged for 13 years other than SLIGHTLY bigger tires, next gen axles, and more articulation with the JL. The main powertrain, and honestly the only one I would trust if I was buying a JL, is the 3.6 non-hybrid which has been basically unchanged for 8 years. The hard top that 90% of people go with is basically unchanged except for the screws in the JK being left off the JL. (I never put mine in)
So you take the most vanilla Wrangler and judge their innovation on that. Will you do the same on the Bronco? Discount anything other than the main powertrain (2.3) and a hard top on a 4-door?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.