Not open for further replies.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I see there's still no love for the Sony/Minolta :-P

A lot of those high end, full frame Nikon and Canon cameras actually use a Sony sensor. I'm heavily invested in Minolta/Sony glass, some of which goes back to the mid 80's, so it doesn't make much sense for me to switch at this point in time..........sort of like why I won't be trading my Jeep Wrangler for a Bronco any time soon.
You are correct that Nikon uses Sony sensors and then do processing in camera before the RAW is written to the CF or SD card. Canon produces their own sensors for their DSLRs and they provide RAW images un-processed when written. This is why astro-photographers use Canon almost exclusively. You can use Nikons, but have to turn the camera off immediately after the shutter closes so that the in-camera processing is bypassed.

Sony makes good cameras and their glass is very good. Good that they are pushing Canon and Nikon to continue to innovate. I won't be trading or selling my Rubicon either. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I dread driving any other vehicle we own.

Advertisement

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
There is one HUGE downside for Wrangler owners, especially those of us who lease. The Wrangler has enjoyed the #1 resale value in the U.S. market for many many years. The sole reason for that is because there is nothing else like it. It's the ONLY vehicle on the market with 4x4 and a convertible top combined.

With direct competition, a slice of the Wrangler pie will be eaten and there may be an increase in rebates on Wrangler and/or incentives to buy, which will drive resale down. We've already seen resale fall in the last 12 months because they're building too many Wranglers and inventory is flooded. If they see a further reduction in sales due to Bronco, that will also drive resale down farther.
Why would that be a downside to those of us who lease ??? on the contrary, the residual price will go down because of the competition and if you want to keep your wrangler for a few more years you will do it at a lower residual price. It happened to me with my 2013 grand Cherokee at the end of the lease the residual was 5k less than the market price so I ended up buying it. The residual price in my contract is ridiculously high, I was going to just return it. but if they work with me on the price I might consider keeping it.

ChattVol

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 6 Speed, 2016 Odyssey, 2014 Accord
Build Thread
Link
While I agree the engines are no Hemi I don't know that I would call them weak, ESPECIALLY when mated to the 8 speed auto. I'm shocked at how much get up and go the 3.6 has with 37s even while still running the 4.10 gears. That thing still launches and if you punch from a rolling start it shoots like a rocket. Now, the 6 speed manual def doesn't have as much giddy up as the auto, that auto is amazing at getting into the right gear at the right moment.
We had a loaner Jeep the other day that had the little 2.0 turbo in it. That is a noisey engine and I thought it was a joke until I punched it and it snapped my head back into the headrest. I have a new respect for that little thing.
Interesting feedback that your 6 speed with 4.88 gears definitely doesn't have as much giddy up as your auto with 4.10s....considering both are on 37" beadlocks.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read all the posts since I saw this one. No one has mentioned this, so I’ll ask:
1. Any thoughts on why the license plate is on opposite sides?
2. Where is the tailpipe in the first shot?
3. Why is the tailpipe in the second picture located in such a place to be easily crushed off roading.
  1. The 1st photo is inverted
  2. It fell off already
  3. Because it is a... Ford
:LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Let's all be honest here, looks is far more important than actual capabilities. We bought our JLs, not because we NEED to get to a particular location, but because they look frickin awesome. The capability was just icing on the cake
That’s a broad generalization.

Jeep styling is more iconic and functional than attractive. Wrangler looks are an acquired taste IMO. Just like beer, blue cheese, or anchovies...

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK, deciding between Bronco and JL
I’ve read all the posts since I saw this one. No one has mentioned this, so I’ll ask:
1. Any thoughts on why the license plate is on opposite sides?
2. Where is the tailpipe in the first shot?
3. Why is the tailpipe in the second picture located in such a place to be easily crushed off roading.
I don’t know about the exhaust but I mirrored the image for a closer comparison. Didn’t change the proportions in any way though.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And we all know with that $hit box 3.8L engine you were stuck behind that Prius the whole way ;)
You can pass a Prius going up a 7% grade with the 3.8? Kidding aside, you are right about hp...no big deal on the trail, but on the highway it’s way more important.
luckily I’ve got a 6 speed, so if I stick it in 3rd or 4th i can at least move a little bit. Not much.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. To screw with the people who have been waiting 20 years for this to be released.
2. See #1
3. It's got IFS so they don't really care about real off roading which is why they stuck the tailpipe there.
1. Top picture is mirrored. If you zoom in you can see the numbers on the plate are backwards.
2. I believe that we can't see it due to the camouflage hanging down below the bumper.
3. Because this vehicle is all about looking tough, with very little regard to how it will actually do on trails where that would be a concern.

Maybe all the Karens, and Kyles with their angry eye grills will buy the Bronco and stop molesting perfectly good Wranglers.
So the front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, front dig, 35’s stock, crawl ratio manual, beadlock capable wheels, and whatever other features it may have are just for looks? Just for reference too, with all those leaked pics last week they also leaked a pic of a wheel that was on the prototype.... looks like to me they were testing the hell out of it.
0CEB067A-E298-4150-88B5-3832D2B3D056.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So the front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, front dig, 35’s stock, crawl ratio manual, beadlock capable wheels, and whatever other features it may have are just for looks? Just for reference too, with all those leaked pics last week they also leaked a pic of a wheel that was on the prototype.... looks like to me they were testing the hell out of it.
0CEB067A-E298-4150-88B5-3832D2B3D056.jpeg
Just for reference, when an IFS Vehicle flips over on its side and slides down the slope a bit, the wheel looks just like that.

Kidding aside, it’s got some cool off-road features, just not enough to overcome the IFS for many of us.

I still might buy one, but it won’t be replacing my Wrangler for off-road duty.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just for reference, when an IFS Vehicle flips over on its side and slides down the slope a bit, the wheel looks just like that.

Kidding aside, it’s got some cool off-road features, just not enough to overcome the IFS for many of us.

I still might buy one, but it won’t be replacing my Wrangler for off-road duty.
:LOL:
Totally agree. I have my apprehensions with IFS as well, but I feel like many in this thread or elsewhere there’s no nuance. It’s just IFS=sucks when this is probably going to be the most advanced IFS off road SUV ever built. Certainly more so than the 4Runner and FJ cruiser.

Will be very interesting to see how it does.

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
IFS sucks why? Because it's used on the most capable military utility vehicle ever made? Because it doesn't suffer from death wobble? Because it can actually be aligned in 3 planes instead of 1?

I don't hate the IFS at all. What I hate is that it's the ugliest vehicle I've seen since the Pontiac Aztek which is becoming a trademark of Ford these days...build the ugliest crap they can. And two, I hate that it's got so many features and designs that are clear rip-offs of the Wrangler. Disconnectable sway bar? Aux switches? Everything down to the way the hard top panels latch is all Jeep.

TXRubicon

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '18 Porsche 718 Cayman
Why do people keep getting angry at features making it from one vehicle to the next?? Jeep isn't the only one with aux switches. Jeep isn't the only one with a disconnectable sway bar. The hardtop panels, how else do you expect them to latch it? There are only so many ways to do things properly. Shut up with this "OMG THEY COPIED JEEP" BS. It's tired and idiotic. What's next? OMG IT HAS A SPARE ON THE BACK AND 4 WHEELS THEY COPIED JEEP!

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
IFS sucks why? Because it's used on the most capable military utility vehicle ever made? Because it doesn't suffer from death wobble? Because it can actually be aligned in 3 planes instead of 1?

I don't hate the IFS at all. What I hate is that it's the ugliest vehicle I've seen since the Pontiac Aztek which is becoming a trademark of Ford these days...build the ugliest crap they can. And two, I hate that it's got so many features and designs that are clear rip-offs of the Wrangler. Disconnectable sway bar? Aux switches? Everything down to the way the hard top panels latch is all Jeep.

My only issue is it's not long arm. I think the new Marlin Cralwer RCLT kit is really where Ford should have gone if they were looking for capability. Doesn't mean someone in the aftermarket won't step up as Marlin has done....but that's going to take time. Not sure there will be enough adopters to make that a profitable business decision though.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Venture Motorsports

Advertisement