Not open for further replies.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
In my mind where the Bronco could excel is engine offerings. While I do moderate rock/trail driving a couple of times per year, Another 100 hp would be very compelling for most of my day to day driving. The 2.0L motor is actually better than I anticipated...but still less that what I consider ideal...
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It will be very interesting to see what the Bronco gearing options are going to be. With 35’s from the factory I have to imagine they’ll offer at least 4.56 diff gearing.
That's the bottom line.. solid axles or IFS.. wheel travel.. how easy it is to modify and what those modifications cost will be, and gearing, for folks who are happy with stock.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
So knowing that the bronco is less capable (less rugged) is ok with you and you know it. And copying jeep with a top that comes off along with doors isnt real imaginative of ford but that doesnt bother you either (me either). That's cool, but others who want a REAL capable tech off road rugged vehicle may feel differently. If they dont know when they buy one they will soon find out. lol

Most want the allure of a jeep that bronco will never have...especially now. The old bronco's will likely kill the new ones (with minor mods) in off road prowess and the new ones will more then likely be in name only.

It's a baja machine and not a jeep killer. The sooner we all realize this the better. Nothing wrong with that and I hope my wife thinks the bronco is cute and we buy one!!
It doesn’t have to be a Jeep killer on the trails to be a success and take sales from Jeep.

Ford has shown they can do this with the Mustang and the Raptor. No reason they can’t do it with the Bronco.

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
By the way... does no one remember the HMMWV? It has independent suspension in the front and rear. And trust me, that thing can go fucking anywhere.

Not saying Ford is going to go with that setup with the Bronco, but it makes for an interesting thought experiment.

The HMMWV has double A-arm suspension in the front and rear. The four wheel drive is engaged at all times and both differentials are open, but can be locked by placing the transmission in “HL” mode. There’s also a low range.

Of course, it tops out at about 55 mph, gets about 10 mpg, costs a bundle, and is wider than the Bronco will be. But I’ve taken one up some crazy steep inclines with loose gravel and rocks (Fort Irwin) and it’s a goddam billy goat.
LULZ....wheeled with several. NOTHING goes "anywhere".....and the portly H1 is no different. It has its fortes...and rockcrawling ain't one of them. Oh...and Torsen's suck.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
LULZ....wheeled with several. NOTHING goes "anywhere".....and the portly H1 is no different. It has its fortes...and rockcrawling ain't one of them. Oh...and Torsen's suck.
I hate that the HMMWV has this reputation of being a killer vehicle off-road. Even worse are the guys who did some light wheeling on trails designed for tanks and transport trucks who propagate that notion.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I hate that the HMMWV has this reputation of being a killer vehicle off-road. Even worse are the guys who did some light wheeling on trails designed for tanks and transport trucks who propagate that notion.
Guys... I’m talking about a two-seater, not-up-armored HMMWV, and I’m not talking about tank trails. The grade we went up was legitimately scary and I seriously doubt if my JLR could have made it up that. The guys in the bed basically had to stand on the tailgate as we were climbing.

I guess part of my experience with HMMWVs includes a major “fuck it” factor that doesn’t apply to your pride and joy personally owned vehicle that you may or may not have to rely on to get to work everyday: I’ve driven and rode in lots of situations with HMMWVs that I’d never do with my POV because if it breaks... well, fuck it, the Army will pay to fix it. If the mission requires you to go there then you go there.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Guys... I’m talking about a two-seater, not-up-armored HMMWV, and I’m not talking about tank trails. The grade we went up was legitimately scary and I seriously doubt if my JLR could have made it up that. The guys in the bed basically had to stand on the tailgate as we were climbing.

I guess part of my experience with HMMWVs includes a major “fuck it” factor that doesn’t apply to your pride and joy personally owned vehicle that you may or may not have to rely on to get to work everyday: I’ve driven and rode in lots of situations with HMMWVs that I’d never do with my POV because if it breaks... well, fuck it, the Army will pay to fix it. If the mission requires you to go there then you go there.
It's cool. You don't know what you don't know.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

I'm also referring to a M998 soft skin truck. I think the end of the day you summarized it for me. You aren't willing to take your Jeep on the same terrain as you did the HMMWV. So you will likely never find out what your Jeep is capable of in comparison. I'm the kind of guy that would willingly drive my Jeep to the top of Mt. Tiefort.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also referring to a M998 soft skin truck. I think the end of the day you summarized it for me. You aren't willing to take your Jeep on the same terrain as you did the HMMWV. So you will likely never find out what your Jeep is capable of in comparison. I'm the kind of guy that would willingly drive my Jeep to the top of Mt. Tiefort.
Ha! It wasn’t Tiefort I was talking about, it was in the Brown pass area if I remember correctly. But yeah that’s a good point.

Anyway the point I was trying to make about the HMMWV is not that it can compete with purpose-built off road vehicles, and not that it’s a great rock crawler, but that it has a suspension system other than solid axles all around that can get its huge girth into and out of some crazy places and it can take serious abuse.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'll just kick in that climbing a 35° angle feels like your climbing dead vertical from the driver's seat. Scary as heck.

Unfortunately, it's not nearly as impressive on a protractor, or photo. And as a function of horsepower and traction, there are many vehicles that can accomplish the same
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.