• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Jeep will still own technical off roading.
For sure, I'm just saying for most buyers, that doesn't matter. Most people just want the idea of basic offroad capability.

Edit: Or maybe I shouldn't say "basic," but instead "very respectable" or "pretty darn good," both of which the Bronco will definitely have.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I dont know. Bronco failed once against the jeep..will it be the same outcome... dunno. By staying power I mean it more about going up against jeep vs going against others I mentioned earlier.

And as I mentioned they may not rock crawl ever but just knowing the jeeps capable is enough. Same as a sports car or motorcycles capable of doing amazing things and never ever touching that capability. Posers are everywhere and I'm not bagging on them. People just like to have things that provide an image of themselves real or otherwise. Marketing types know this and use it. It's just the way it is.
The only good Bronco generation was from ‘66-‘77. First gen. Arguably better than jeeps of the era in many ways.

That ideal of a Bronco died due to the oil Chrisis/mismanagement/ public wants for full size SUV’s. The 2021 Bronco is a hardening back to that original bronco in many ways.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The only good Bronco generation was from ‘66-‘77. First gen. Arguably better than jeeps of the era in many ways.

That ideal of a Bronco died due to the oil Chrisis/mismanagement/ public wants for full size SUV’s. The 2021 Bronco is a hardening back to that original bronco in many ways.
Better? People didnt want them. they went by -by and jeep never left and it's better then ever in off road capability right off the show room floor. Jeep was in the same oil crisis/etc/ect as the ford bronco. It fail and jeep had the better idea.

What original idea? It appears they are copying all of jeeps concepts except for the most important. SFA.

Again, they will take sales away from jeep in the beginning. After that likely more from others which would include fords own rapter. Everyone wants a super duper motor in the bronco but ford has to be careful not to upstage the Rapter too much. A powerful more nimble cheaper bronco would be hard to pass up in the go fast baja segment.

Meanwhile jeep will introduce even better offroad capability for the posers and non-posers.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
BTW for those that say people dont care about rock crawling or fwd....why in the heck would they buy a jeep or bronco or rapter or whatever? There are lots more practical vehicles out there.
I've said it many times...rugged vehicle that can go off-road AND a convertible. There is literally no other option that match these two criteria. They were my main reasons. I will never rock crawl it...doesn't even remotely interest me. If it had an IFS I would not have batted an eye. In fact, I'd probably own two since my wife really likes mine but absolutely hates driving it.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Better? People didnt want them. they went by -by and jeep never left and it's better then ever in off road capability right off the show room floor. Jeep was in the same oil crisis/etc/ect as the ford bronco. It fail and jeep had the better idea.

What original idea? It appears they are copying all of jeeps concepts except for the most important. SFA.

Again, they will take sales away from jeep in the beginning. After that likely more from others which would include fords own rapter. Everyone wants a super duper motor in the bronco but ford has to be careful not to upstage the Rapter too much. A powerful more nimble cheaper bronco would be hard to pass up in the go fast baja segment.

Meanwhile jeep will introduce even better offroad capability for the posers and non-posers.
I mean the Bronco thrived after the first gen, they were just a significantly different vehicle. In the 1970’s and 1980’s all taste went out the window for American car buyers, for example the Mustang II sold way better than the 1st gen. The Bronco outsold the Jeep handily, (from 1966-1986 Bronco sold around 720k, from 1954-1983 CJ-5 sold 605k) not to put down the Jeep, but the Bronco only died in ‘96 because Ford replaced it with explorer and expedition.

I am at this point almost certainly replacing my JK with a Bronco, but I will switch back to the next gen wrangler or even a refreshed JL if Jee builds something compelling. That rumored I6 turbo would be a start.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
BTW for those that say people dont care about rock crawling or fwd....why in the heck would they buy a jeep or bronco or rapter or whatever? There are lots more practical vehicles out there.
Why do people buy performance sports cars and not go to the track? Because it looks cool, is fun to drive, and has the "cred" to do it if they wanted to.

If the Bronco looks good and they don't overprice it, it will sell. Actually, even if it is overpriced it will sell at first.

Last edited:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
BTW for those that say people dont care about rock crawling or fwd....why in the heck would they buy a jeep
Convertible and no doors, for sure. Again, I really only do beach driving, so I could pretty much go with anything that has 4-wheel drive, but very few options with the other stuff.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You’ve kinda made the point that others have been making..... Jeep JL’s are selling like hotcakes, yet, I believe that the vast majority of them will never go off-road. So, why do people buy them? They like the looks and the marketing image. A Bronco will need to be a “credible” off-road vehicle so it can pitch the heck out of the image of hunting dinosaur bones in the Gobi. almost no one will ever try but the idea will capture the imagination.

find me a Suburban mom who owns a new JL Sahara..... (I can name you a couple that I know). .... they have ZERO intention of going off-road. They like the looks of the JL and they like the fact that they “could go off-roading one day”........

there are a significant number of JL owners who feel the same way. The JL might even be their first Jeep. When it comes time to buy a new one, they might just like the looks of the Bronco better And buy it. And, if they do, that really good news for Jeep customers as FCA will need to up its game (a lot).

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Are there any sales estimates for the Bronco yet? Anyone care to take a guess?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
WOW! I would not have guessed that high. The Wrangler is around 250k, right? toss in some of the other vehicles like the 4Runner and maybe some off-road pickups and, what?, is there 1.25m vehicles sold in this category? 200k units a year for the Bronco just doesn’t feel right to me...... seems very optimistic. That said, I know nothing of these things......

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ok I wasn't very impressed with the leaked colors so far, but this preview of Grabber Blue with top has my attention.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/grabber-blue-2021-bronco-4-door-preview-renderings.1396/

Regarding the lack of solid front axle I read on Bronco6g that it might be offered as a Ford Performance part and the IFS can be swapped out for it. So maybe they'll offer a limited edition model down the line with SFA as a default option.
The person who came up with this idea is a delusional fan. It is far too costly to develop and engineer two completely different 4wd setups. There are so many changes that need to be made to the front end for this to actually happen. Before anyone gets any crazy ideas. The SFA conversions that exist in the aftermarket are for extreme use and a lot of lift and tire. Not even comparable to what would come from a manufacturer.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
There's something that everyone is missing too. How many lifted IFS vehicles do you see vs Jeeps? There's not nearly as many. Reason being is cost and complexity. I can install a basic spring and shock only lift on a Wrangler in less than 2 hours by myself. But IFS is much harder to install because it requires more parts, and it takes longer to do, so install costs will be higher. You will not see as many lifted Broncos. That gives Jeep another edge. Because people will see all these customized Wranglers everywhere they turn.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Ummmm, the IFS vs Straight axle is not a new debate. Its been going on since 1980 when ford first tried it. There is no debate , there is no more information , dirt and rocks haven’t changed , engineering has changed and IFS has improved and straight axle suspension have improved.
Theses are two different things for two different purposes that provide two different results.
F250 and F350 have a straight axle a F150 has an IFS their designed for different applications. The straight axle is for heavier duty service the IFS offers a better ride. For desert racing IFS wins for rock crawling straight axle wins that’s why all the rock buggies are straight axle and all the desert racers are IFS.
The bronco and the wrangler can never be compared apples to apples because they’re not. Engineering tells us that they can’t be. Straight axles and IFS are different like it or not.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.