First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We have a big family and we’re looking at getting a second Jeep for our plans which only include as much as “moderate” trails only. I’ve always been a “car” guy that appreciates all different kinds of vehicles so I’m probably going to see what the Bronco has to offer. It’ll probably be more capable than I am and do more than I want it to with sway disconnects and lockers Front and Rear.
Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Fair enough, but in a thread where many are stating it won't steal any Jeep sales because it has an IFS, it kinda says the opposite that Jeep people are even willing to consider it knowing it has an IFS.
90% maybe more of Jeep people would actually like an IFS better. As long as you can put big tires on it and jack it up the vast majority of people will be happy. It will steal Jeep customers IF (and that's a big if) it looks the part. It can't look just like every other SUV and steal sales

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have a 97 4runner and my jeep interior blows it away in looks and accommodations. But my money is on it not lasting nearly as long as my 4 runners interior. We've had it since new and are completely amazed at how well it has held up.

Bronco will only be a hit if it has a great motor and some nice towing capacity. Even then, it wont have the staying power of a jeep. Bronco lost to jeep before and it will lose again, especially once they see or hear about it's lack of prowess on the hard trails. IFS is absolutely comical to watch navigate tuff trails.

Remember, you can say that some people dont go offroad ever all you want but the reality is people buy it for what it is capable of doing even if they dont do it. Same as sports cars, rarely does anyone use their full potential either. They buy it for what it can do, even if they dont do it.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Remember, you can say that some people dont go offroad ever all you want but the reality is people buy it for what it is capable of doing even if they dont do it.
I totally agree with that notion, and that's also why the Bronco is gonna sell to those people. My bet is that, when it comes down to it, if a buyer is even aware enough to ask about IFS versus solid axle, the Ford salesperson is gonna do a bang-up job selling the more modern/creative/comfortable features of the Bronco over the jeep while minimizing the impact lack of solid axles will have for major offroading.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I am not interested in the upcoming Bronco, but I sure hope it helps Ford as a company as they have amassed an amazing $150B in debt and had to sell basically junk bonds to raise $8B.

I love the Jeep, the ability to remove the top and doors and supporting our outdoor lifestyle. The vehicle I would consider replacing it with in the future would be a Cybertruck from Tesla. I really like the Cyber Truck and have an early preorder spot and think it will drastically change the landscape of the work truck landscape, especially with the continued advancements in auto pilot, battery efficiency and other feature advancements.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
My anecdotal experience regarding IFS and all that..

My wife was intrigued by Jeep given my enthusiasm about getting one, so she started looking at a 4 door for when it's time to replace her Explorer.

When she finally got in one, she really didn't like how it drove and rode, so now she's looking at Bronco since it has IFS and will handle and ride more like her cushy Explorer that's great for long trips. She doesn't care about offroad handling or articulation and just wants something rugged and comfortable that can handle bad weather well.

Given the number of mall-crawler soccer mom Jeeps I see everywhere, I doubt she's alone. If Ford can give people that Wrangler vibe with a more familiar and comfortable ride, I'd imagine they're likely to do very well and draw some people away.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I totally agree with that notion, and that's also why the Bronco is gonna sell to those people. My bet is that, when it comes down to it, if a buyer is even aware enough to ask about IFS versus solid axle, the Ford salesperson is gonna do a bang-up job selling the more modern/creative/comfortable features of the Bronco over the jeep while minimizing the impact lack of solid axles will have for major offroading.
Bronco wont have the staying power of jeep unless bronco has some kind of unicorn IFS

If I were the salesman to someone who knew something about off road I would sell them on the truth. For on road comfort and handling the bronco is the choice. For higher speed offroad capability bronco is the choice. If bronco has a better motor and towing capacity again it will be the choice.

Ford will act like it's competing against jeep but ads will likely show it doing baja and other high speed stuff. Putting it in any other kind of technical scenario risks a wheels up floppy shot. lol

Jeep will take a hit in the beginning but word gets out. Eventually sales wont be taken away from jeep but from Raptor and other vehicles. I think a smaller more fun version of those high speed off road rigs is and will be a trend.

Jeep will still own technical off roading.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Bronco wont have the staying power of jeep unless bronco has some kind of unicorn IFS

If I were the salesman to someone who knew something about off road I would sell them on the truth. For on road comfort and handling the bronco is the choice. For higher speed offroad capability bronco is the choice. If bronco has a better motor and towing capacity again it will be the choice.

Ford will act like it's competing against jeep but ads will likely show it doing baja and other high speed stuff. Putting it in any other kind of technical scenario risks a wheels up floppy shot. lol

Jeep will take a hit in the beginning but word gets out. Eventually sales wont be taken away from jeep but from Raptor and other vehicles. I think a smaller more fun version of those high speed off road rigs is and will be a trend.

This is pretty spot on. Ford is looking to have the Bronco fill a niche of being a more well rounded vehicle than the Wrangler, but also being more capable than and a nicer place to be than a 4Runner.

One thing I think Bronco will kill Jeep in is interior room. I’m a big dude and fit in my JK perfectly. When I sat in a Gladiator at a trade show I felt absolutely clusterphobic. With Bronco being a few inches wider than a Wrangler it will likely have a much more comfortable interior.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

My wife was intrigued by Jeep given my enthusiasm about getting one, so she started looking at a 4 door for when it's time to replace her Explorer.

When she finally got in one, she really didn't like how it drove and rode, so now she's looking at Bronco since it has IFS and will handle and ride more like her cushy Explorer that's great for long trips. She doesn't care about offroad handling or articulation and just wants something rugged and comfortable that can handle bad weather well.

Given the number of mall-crawler soccer mom Jeeps I see everywhere, I doubt she's alone. If Ford can give people that Wrangler vibe with a more familiar and comfortable ride, I'd imagine they're likely to do very well and draw some people away.
Yeah, I'll be bringing my wife to check out the bronco. I think it will make an excellent wife car that I will enjoy too.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR

While I do agree that Jeep will stay king of hardcore offroading, assuming everything we've heard about the Bronco suspension is true, I disagree that the Bronco needs to be a success in this arena to have staying power. As I've said in the past, my opinion is that the overwhelming majority of buyers couldn't care less about its rock-crawling prowess.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Bingo.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
While I do agree that Jeep will stay king of hardcore offroading, assuming everything we've heard about the Bronco suspension is true, I disagree that the Bronco needs to be a success in this arena to have staying power. As I've said in the past, my opinion is that the overwhelming majority of buyers couldn't care less about its rock-crawling prowess.
I dont know. Bronco failed once against the jeep..will it be the same outcome... dunno. By staying power I mean it more about going up against jeep vs going against others I mentioned earlier.

And as I mentioned they may not rock crawl ever but just knowing the jeeps capable is enough. Same as a sports car or motorcycles capable of doing amazing things and never ever touching that capability. Posers are everywhere and I'm not bagging on them. People just like to have things that provide an image of themselves real or otherwise. Marketing types know this and use it. It's just the way it is.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.