Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Having just come from a Charger, I wouldn't call it a sports car either. It pulls hard and is a straight line beast, but it's way too heavy to track. The Challenger is heavy too, Dodge needs to bring out the Barracuda they've hinted at and make that a true sports car.
Exactly....both of them are really heavy and poor handling for actual track cars. Problem is: people hear "track" and think "drag strip". To me, a sports car is for curves....drag cars are for the strip...two very different animals.

If I had my druthers....this would be my street legal track car....no doors:

IDqn1M7.jpg
Sponsored

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
While the Charger is faster in the quarter mile for drag racing, it's also heavier...so lap times are unlikely to be as good. I wouldn't call a Charger a sports car either, though.
:CWL::CWL:

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Have you considered the Arial Atom?
Pretty sure you asked that last time I posted the BAC Mono. Not interested in the Atom at all....though the 3RS is impressive at 425hp and 1450 lbs.

The Mono is slightly cheaper and I think the performance is better.

I do like the Atom's Honda engine.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
While the Charger is faster in the quarter mile for drag racing, it's also heavier...so lap times are unlikely to be as good. I wouldn't call a Charger a sports car either, though.
The Charger is worse, not denying it. But they are the only two "sports cars" that can really be compared as 2 vs 4 door. Like I said I don't like the fact that 2 door cars are dying, but it's happening.

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Charger is worse, not denying it. But they are the only two "sports cars" that can really be compared as 2 vs 4 door. Like I said I don't like the fact that 2 door cars are dying, but it's happening.
Agreed...fewer people in general buy 2 doors, but then the same could be said of performance/luxury categories and SUV/CUVs versus 4 door sedans. IIIRC, Porsche sells more CUV/SUVs now than 4 or 2 door cars....at least in the US.

https://www.motor1.com/news/391180/porsche-sales-report-2019-suvs/

Does that mean that sedans are destined to go the way of the do-do? Not likely. Nor are 2 doors...they'll just be more niche.

Ferrari's top of the line "sports car"...is unlikely to be a 4 door anytime in the foreseeable future.

Further, it all depends on how "sports cars" are defined:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sports car

Definition of sports car

: a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sports-car

sports car
or sport car

SEE SYNONYMS FOR sports car ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
a small, high-powered automobile with long, low lines, usually seating two persons.

But...there's a reason why the Dodge brothers are the only really comparable ones in that quasi-class. B/c as a 4 door...they're a sedan.

Now, this v author would argue that the Mustang isn't a sports car either.....and he has a valid point:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

But whatever....we're getting lost in the minutia. An all electric, 2 door "sports" car will sell very well in its niche market....as I believe the Tesla Roadster (even if it actually ends up as a 2+2) will attest when released; provided it hits the lofty performance claims at the price point set by Musk.

Last edited:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Maybe.

When I think muscle car, I don't think Charger.
Muscle car is an American term for high-performance cars, usually but not limited to rear-wheel drive and fitted with a large and powerful V8 engine. The term originated for 1960s and early 1970s special editions of mass-production cars which were designed for drag racing.[1]

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Pony car is an American car classification for affordable, compact, highly styled coupés or convertibles with a "sporty" or performance-oriented image.[1][2] Common characteristics include rear-wheel drive, a long hood, a short decklid, a wide range of options to individualize each car and use of mass-produced parts shared with other models.

The popularity of pony cars is largely due to the launch of the Ford Mustang in 1964.[3][4][5][6] Currently produced pony cars are the Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Muscle car is an American term for high-performance cars, usually but not limited to rear-wheel drive and fitted with a large and powerful V8 engine. The term originated for 1960s and early 1970s special editions of mass-production cars which were designed for drag racing.[1]
I think of muscle cars as the Copo Camaro, Shelby mustangs etc. maybe even the new SRT and Hellcat challenger and charger. (These are factory muscle cars, people could turn a pony car into a muscle car with additional performance mods etc.)

Pony cars have always been mustangs, Camaro's etc. to me. After all the term pony car ways was based on these.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I think of muscle cars as the Copo Camaro, Shelby mustangs etc. maybe even the new SRT and Hellcat challenger and charger. (These are factory muscle cars, people could turn a pony car into a muscle car with additional performance mods etc.)

Pony cars have always been mustangs, Camaro's etc. to me. After all the term pony car ways was based on these.
I agree. Put a hellcat in a charger or Challenger and it's a muscle car, 2 or 4 doors doesn't matter

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. Put a hellcat in a charger or Challenger and it's a muscle car, 2 or 4 doors doesn't matter
I have NEVER liked dodge cars, but had a Charger rental a few weeks back and we are now really considering replacing our impala with a 2020 R/T scat pack (maybe widebody). That was a really nice car.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
For mile long 200+ mph competition, the Charger is more aerodynamic than the Challenger. I’ve been in and out of the LX Forums and various Challenger forums since ‘09 and with the same setups, I’ve never heard of the Charger accepted as being faster than a Challenger on a drag strip. They weigh about 100-150lbs more generally.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Status
Not open for further replies.