Sponsored

Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
3 engine choices when I build a 2 door Rubicon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant 3 engine choices.JPG
Sponsored

Rolling heavy

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si coupe, 2017 honda civic EXLHB,
How many chips are in an automobile compared to a phone?
Modern cars/ suv can easily have hundreds and in some cases well over a thousand microchips. Jeep wranglers are becoming tech heavy in higher trim levels, any kind of road sensing, collision avoidance, Lane keeping auto headlights etc adds dozens of microchips. As others have stated the devistating mistake the auto industry made was cancelling chip orders.

Reactions: VNT

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
fake news BS

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't see anything on that page that asserts it's directly the chip shortage? I might just missed it, though. Everything has been supply chain constrained since about mid-2020 and probably won't get better for a while, ongoing COVID spikes aren't helping (independent of any of your views, this is a huge contributing factor -- it just is). I also work in a role that drives purchase of a ton of these things and my day-to-day is directly impacted. Of course, it's all nuanced by device type, architecture, tolerance, and a plethora of other factors.

That said, my 2021 JLURD was delivered in mid-October, but one thing that surprised me was that on the build sheet, it actually lists "New Chip Supplier Tracking", which implies that they've at least sourced a secondary (tertiary?) provider. Of course, purchased assemblies including silicon will not be covered by that sourcing and that's up to the corresponding vendor.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
D1 means all parts for your build have been gathered so you should be good to go. There have been instances of D1 to D regression tho.
My JLURD regressed four times. It will be listed on your build sheet if that happens. I don't know if it was chip related or not, for what it's worth.

Edit: Not the number of times, just the fact that it did at least once. You'll see it as "D1-To-D Regress."

Last edited:

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I order networking equipment and our vendor said 26-52 weeks for a part that wasn't already on the forecast.... junk.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I work for a major manufacturer and can assure you, the shortages weā€™re facing are quite real and not limited to chips. Your Jeep represents the output of at least 80 different countries. Our product is similar as is many durable goods produc.

Inventory and supply chain management facing unprecedented global demand strained by pandemic lockdowns, coupled with tariffs, regulations, transportation shortages, etc., etc. has created the crisis that exists today.

Discretionary money that used to go to concerts, theater, movies, parties, conventions, diners, vacations and so forth was never removed from the economy when nations, citizens and employers went on lockdown. That money was instead spent on whole goods versus service goods.

Said differently, Joe Jeeperā€˜s money that was not spent at the stadium for getting there, parking, tailgating, admission, beer and nachos instead went for upgrading his shocks since he had time and money he hadnā€™t really had before.

Multiply that a few hundred times (globally) while car, industrial and a myriad of other companies are demanding their shocks while the section that makes the various shock eyes gets sent home because someone on second shift tested positive. Folks forced to work or quarantine from home didnā€™t buy their daily Starbucks, wash their car or rent a campsite. Nope, they bought a more comfortable chair, better workstation and maybe even an office fridge. Rinse and repeat that on everything consumers have been buying in lieu of services and that not only depletes raw materials but it chokes supply logistics.

Manufacturers (mine include) are looking at alternate and expanding suppliers but in the face of high demand and limited supply, the supplier has the position of strength and would rather build only 20 widgets for a premium that makes more profit than 100 widgets under a discount. Ditto with raw material suppliers and everyone else whose product is needed.

This crisis will redefine and reshape global interdependencies now that the frailty of such is now being realized. I do not expect ā€œnormalā€œ to ever return but the closest to what we considered normal will take at least 12 more months minimum. Even at that, global commerce including vertical integration will be changed forever.

I hope you guys get your Jeep and the parts within it are as durable and reliable as the engineer preferred versus equipped with the best FCA could get to keep the line open and a few parts to support aftermarket sales.

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
D1 means all parts for your build have been gathered so you should be good to go. There have been instances of D1 to D regression tho.
Doesn't mean ALL parts have been gathered. Not even close in my experience.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
When you order it will not be using Jeep.com builder which is always wrong in some way or another but an actual build sheet which you can find here on the forums.
IDK?

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant JOF

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Is there something wrong with the order sheet? Looks normal to me, if you want eTorque you will be paying for it. Or go with standard and get ESS only.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Really I don't want either! But to get an automatic with V6 the only choice I get is eTorque.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
The chip shortage isn't new. I ordered my 2021 Sarhara 4xe December 1st, 2020 and received it April 3rd 2021. Four month wait a year ago due to chip shortage.

JFEdwards

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep lifted with 37" tires
The chip shortage isn't new. I ordered my 2021 Sarhara 4xe December 1st, 2020 and received it April 3rd 2021. Four month wait a year ago due to chip shortage.
Ordered a 392 on August 10th 2021 and they said it won't be here till January 06

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I work for a major manufacturer and can assure you, the shortages weā€™re facing are quite real and not limited to chips. Your Jeep represents the output of at least 80 different countries. Our product is similar as is many durable goods produc.

Inventory and supply chain management facing unprecedented global demand strained by pandemic lockdowns, coupled with tariffs, regulations, transportation shortages, etc., etc. has created the crisis that exists today.

Discretionary money that used to go to concerts, theater, movies, parties, conventions, diners, vacations and so forth was never removed from the economy when nations, citizens and employers went on lockdown. That money was instead spent on whole goods versus service goods.

Said differently, Joe Jeeperā€˜s money that was not spent at the stadium for getting there, parking, tailgating, admission, beer and nachos instead went for upgrading his shocks since he had time and money he hadnā€™t really had before.

Multiply that a few hundred times (globally) while car, industrial and a myriad of other companies are demanding their shocks while the section that makes the various shock eyes gets sent home because someone on second shift tested positive. Folks forced to work or quarantine from home didnā€™t buy their daily Starbucks, wash their car or rent a campsite. Nope, they bought a more comfortable chair, better workstation and maybe even an office fridge. Rinse and repeat that on everything consumers have been buying in lieu of services and that not only depletes raw materials but it chokes supply logistics.

Manufacturers (mine include) are looking at alternate and expanding suppliers but in the face of high demand and limited supply, the supplier has the position of strength and would rather build only 20 widgets for a premium that makes more profit than 100 widgets under a discount. Ditto with raw material suppliers and everyone else whose product is needed.

This crisis will redefine and reshape global interdependencies now that the frailty of such is now being realized. I do not expect ā€œnormalā€œ to ever return but the closest to what we considered normal will take at least 12 more months minimum. Even at that, global commerce including vertical integration will be changed forever.

I hope you guys get your Jeep and the parts within it are as durable and reliable as the engineer preferred versus equipped with the best FCA could get to keep the line open and a few parts to support aftermarket sales.
Thanks for posting a rational and informed explanation of some of the issues that are causing the problems without going into idiotic (and factually incorrect) political rhetoric thatā€™s so often thrown about when this topic arises. The issue is not as simplistic as most people try to make it seem when it reinforces their geopolitical worldview.

About the only thing I somewhat disagree with is your view that itā€™ll redefine and reshape global interdependencies. Maybe somewhat by necessity, but overall people and governments tend to be pretty intractable and I donā€™t think this crisis will make them act smarter or more responsibly. Probably just more self serving and greedier at the cost of anyone else not wealthy enough to cut to the front of the line.
Sponsored