Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Is that still a thing? I haven't paid it any attention since the summer...of last year.
Just saying it's increasing again, sports, hospitals, most likely due to Thanksgiving/X-mas shopping. It will be a thing for the rest of our lives. I believe they shut down before due to Covid. I didn't read the entire thread. Just threw that out there.
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
How many chips are in an automobile compared to a phone?
There is no comparison ā€¦ a car uses dozens of systems that require chips. It also uses a ton of sensors, which are also in short supply in some cases. While a phoneā€˜s systemboard is pretty packed, it uses much less.

Do remember that some of the chips that were in shortage were not the most sophisticated ones. One of the issues is that no one is going to put any money into a legacy product that isnā€™t getting a lot of new customers (companies just milk it as long as they can). So, when the demand exceeds supply, it is next to impossible to bring on more.

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD; '19 E450 Wagon; '21 R1250RS
Build Thread
Link
Thanks to the link, it's a good way to read employee's posts to get an idea of what's going on. Now, we just need to police ourselves that folks JL and JT orders aren't asking a lot of questions on the page as the man may catch on shut it down (i.e. employees are likely not supposed to make public comments about what's going on in the factory). I'll bet many, if not most, posting believe their posts can only be seen by other factory workers.

Based on chatter in the threads, it appears the JLK line keeps shutting down due to parts shortages while the JL line continues.

Last edited:

Klong

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Charger r/t, 2022 Wrangler Rubicon,
Iā€™ve posted this a few times. I am in the board component space (to the non-nerds, we sell items that enable communication of remote devices, such as power generators). So, I have a little too much knowledge on the chip shortage.

As big as automakers are, they are pretty small buyers compared to tech giants (Apple sells more iPhones alone than cars are sold worldwide each year by all brands), so as big as Stellantis may be, their calls arenā€™t returned as fast as you would think. When they cancelled their orders, it pushed them even further down the list.

Things are starting to show signs of improving, but it will be at least 12 more months of delays ā€¦ glad I could put you in a bad mood! =)
Just think how many fantasy balloon just got popped. Pooooof.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Looks like all this shortages, have helped do away with, the crappy, etorque, in 2022, on the V6 auto,
Now if only the shortages, would make them do away with the crappy, ESS!
I wish someone would let jeep know this. Every time I see a post about it I build a jeep and its always there. I really dont think you are getting around either of the ss systems any time soon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant Screenshot_20211219-090523_Chrome

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Just saying it's increasing again, sports, hospitals, most likely due to Thanksgiving/X-mas shopping. It will be a thing for the rest of our lives. I believe they shut down before due to Covid. I didn't read the entire thread. Just threw that out there.
You must have a twin someplace!!

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I wish someone would let jeep know this. Every time I see a post about it I build a jeep and its always there. I really dont think you are getting around either of the ss systems any time soon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant Screenshot_20211219-090523_Chrome
That's true if you are building a 2021 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 do not have the etorque (W24) they are ESS!

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
That's true if you are building a 2021 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 do not have the etorque (W24) they are ESS!
Nope, 2022 just like this morning. I dont want either one myself. I dont see one being any better then the other.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant Screenshot_20211219-223455_Chrome
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks like chip shortage is real, lot of closures at Toledo OH plant Screenshot_20211219-223924_Chrome

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I work in OEM Semiconductor ..

Yes the chip shortage is real, probably more than people understand. It's affect more than just automotive. In general there is a large supply and demand shortage over a lot of sectors. 2022 will not be looking good for a lot of the economy.

Sponsored

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
I have a little too much knowledge on the chip shortage.

As big as automakers are, they are pretty small buyers compared to tech giants (Apple sells more iPhones alone than cars are sold worldwide each year by all brands), so as big as Stellantis may be, their calls arenā€™t returned as fast as you would think. When they cancelled their orders, it pushed them even further down the list.

Things are starting to show signs of improving, but it will be at least 12 more months of delays ā€¦ glad I could put you in a bad mood! =)
COMPLETELY different chips made in completely different factories. The chips used in iPhones and the like are state-of-the-art, cutting edge designs with minimum size and maximum performance. The chips used in auto manufacturing are the equivalent of Intel Pentium II chips from over a decade ago.

https://fortune.com/2021/09/17/chip-makers-carmakers-time-get-out-semiconductor-stone-age/

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
This is my build and no etorque!
That's funny, my build was a willys too and it says I need an etorque. Was just showing I picked a 2022. Like I said someone should let jeep know what they are building. LOL Guess you'll find out when you get it.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Most people don't get this. Just like most people don't understand that flat panel displays ar eonly made by a few companies.

Most of this is much broader tho, not just semi conductor. We are having a hard time with supply chains ..

correct - but the problem is Taiwan is pretty much the monopoly manufacturer of those types of chips - and between China's shenanigans, Buttigieg's Maternity leave, Bidenflation, and CA's bullshit....were screwed for a long time.
Sponsored