Looking up road conditions for trip

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Do any of you know an easy way to find out what road conditions are for a trip from LA to Albuquerque?

Looks like the majority of the trip is on the 40 and goes through California, Arizona and Mexico. Just tying to figure out where the bad spots are going to be in a couple weeks.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Traffic? You can set a route in Google Maps for future departure date and time and it'll predict traffic.

sgtfumblefingers

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon unlimited xr
google maps app

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Every DOT will have specific winter driving warnings and advisories within their state listed on their website.

The USFS website also lets you know of road and trail closures within national park and national forest boundaries.

If you are looking to plan your trip a week or two out, there is a half dozen youtube channels that give you a good read for the weather over the next 5 to 10 days.

Here in the Pacific Northwest I watch Pacific Northwest Weather Watch. He covers from British Columbia down to Northern California, east to Montana and Wyoming. He does a very good job of letting you know what type of weather is coming a week ahead.

There are other YouTubers out there focusing on other parts of the country.

Good luck.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
NMROADS for NM. They have a website and mobile app. Lots of filters for various functions, cams, road conditions, accidents, road closures etc.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Waze app is surprisingly accurate in regard to travel & arrival time. Very detailed user reported road conditions including construction, police, even objects on the road. And it's national.

It's real-time, not predictive, but you can look at it ahead of time at different times of day and different days to see what is likely the best time/day to leave is.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've used Google Maps to great effect for the exact intel that the OP asks about. Such data is vital to me when the trip is on two or three wheels, and not four, so I wouldn't recommend this option if it wasn't effective. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I've used Google Maps to great effect for the exact intel that the OP asks about. Such data is vital to me when the trip is on two or three wheels, and not four, so I wouldn't recommend this option if it wasn't effective. đź‘Ť
We are actually starting in Southern Oregon and have “trip check” which shows cameras around the state. I know we will have some weather going over the Siskiyou pass and down past Shasta. What I need to find out is what other passes we will have to go over. Wife has a new Bronco Sport with AWD, and chains (if it gets real bad). I am used to driving in bad conditions in central oregon. However, the new JLUR is on 37” mud grapplers. I had 35” mud grapplers on my 2018 f150 and it did pretty good. Jeep will be a little different though.

I will check into the recommended apps and sites. Thank you guys

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do any of you know an easy way to find out what road conditions are for a trip from LA to Albuquerque?

Looks like the majority of the trip is on the 40 and goes through California, Arizona and Mexico. Just tying to figure out where the bad spots are going to be in a couple weeks.
Waze app
Sponsored