Sponsored

Looking to purchase my 1st Wrangler this week! Could use some insight

jhav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 BMW M4 (MT), '21 JLU HA, '22 JLUR 4xe
Unchartered territory for me as I've been a BMW guy my whole life, but am looking for a 3rd car and have always wanted a Jeep. If the car was only for me, I'd get a stripped down 2-dr. with a manual transmission and have a blast modding it. However, my wife and daughter are also going to be regular drivers - neither of them can drive a stick (this works out well for me in my 'own' car). For context, at least for now, it is unlikely that the car will be driven much off-road (I'm sure this is sacreligious to the purists out there). Also, the car probably won't be driven a ton - I'd expect ~7k/yr.

I've been reading a bunch of articles, and watching a bunch of videos over the past few days and have learned a ton! I always heard that the Jeep community is awesome, and have not been disappointed. I drove an unlimited 4-cyl. turbo and thought it was adequate. Whenever I've purchased a BMW in the past, I've spent a ton of time on the message boards reading and asking questions to ensure I don't screw soemthing up before ordering. Hoping some of you could provide some insight/opinions. Here are some questions I have:
  • I know the 4-cyl turbo is a 'new-er' engine as compared with the tried/true V6 - any complaints/issues with it when it comes to street driving?
  • Leaning towards a High Altitude Unlimited in black w/ one-touch power top & cold weather pkg. I don't necessarilly need the fully painted exterior, but it comes standard with so many of the other things I would configure anyhow, that it seems to make sense. There are 2-3 available near me that match this spec, but one also has the tow package ---- I don't anticipate ever using this package, but am I missing something where I should get it anyhow (e.g. re-sale value? other?) Any other critical options you'd suggest?
  • Don't love the stock road tires on the High Altitude, but saw from another thread where I can easilly swap them without changing out the wheels. Do the tires with the bigger tread (e.g. Rubicon tires) do well on regular roads? Any tire suggestions for those of you who don't off-road much?
  • Lastly - as I work to negotiate the best deal, anything that I can shoot for? I got some initial pricing through TrueCar, and the best 'email' offer I have is 6.7% off MSRP. Is this good? What should I be targeting?
Thanks!
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I think you can get better than 6.7 if your willing to look and or drive.

There are lots of options that are must haves and adding them after the fact is difficult and more expensive, I encourage you to research led lights, safety groups, aux/trailer package and stereo offerings as well as the winter group.

IDK what wheels tires come on the HA, but plenty of people drive more aggressive tires than I do but only see schools and malls.

The trailer tow group, contains the aux button package, they are prewired into your dash w fuses and relays and all in a nice bundle on the passenger side for whatever light or compressor or flashing xmas wreath you want to add in the future. They come programmable w the stereo in dash. Your not going to get this for 750 after the fact.

Read about your options and don't rush the purchase.

FWIW, I was closer to 10 and 12 off msrp on two wranglers.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I have driven the 6 and the turbo...in my opinion, I never really cared for the 6...the turbo for me is definitely sufficient. If you are not looking to mod why don't you look at the Willy's? I got mine fully loaded and absolutely love the look, tires, and the price. You should shoot for 3-4% below Invoice if u want a great deal...base it off of that

OP
OP

jhav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, both for the tips - especially regarding the pricing and the engine.

@neil - the HA version comes standard with most of the options you list which is one of the reasons why it seems to make the most sense for me (e.g. LED & Alpine stereo are included). The couple I'm looking at already have the Winter pack, auto-roof and one has the tow/aux package as included options(still not sure I need that one). The only thing the 'lot' vehicles don't have that I would have been interested in is the Advanced Safety Pkg (auto cruise control, auto high-beams).

@JeezAJeep - I like the WIlly's a lot- your's looks sweet. Unfortunately, I can't configure it with the one-touch power top which is a requirement for my build.

The pricing tips you both provided are most helpful -- I downloaded the XLS from the site to determine invoice $$ and will use this as part of my negotiations.

Thanks again

SteveTigers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Go to the preferred dealers section of the forums and you can find the best deals. There is also a spreadsheet that one of the members update with the invoice pricing. Those same dealers will work off that invoice price. All of that information can be found in the Ordering, Pricing, Production, Tracking Forum.

I have a teen that will be driving our Jeep too, so the advanced driver group was a must have as well. I also got a steel bumper for the added safety. From the time I ordered to deliver will be 6.5 weeks, so consider going that route and getting exactly what you want. Good luck!

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Drive the different ones. While one person will love the Turbo, another will hate it and want the V6. Total personal preference.

As far as options go I also say get all that you can afford. Most of the time it is a PITA to add later especially things like cold weather package. LEDs and wheels and tires are easier.

You should be shooting for 1% below invoice on your deal which I think is more like 10% off MSRP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Thanks, both for the tips - especially regarding the pricing and the engine.

@neil - the HA version comes standard with most of the options you list which is one of the reasons why it seems to make the most sense for me (e.g. LED & Alpine stereo are included). The couple I'm looking at already have the Winter pack, auto-roof and one has the tow/aux package as included options(still not sure I need that one). The only thing the 'lot' vehicles don't have that I would have been interested in is the Advanced Safety Pkg (auto cruise control, auto high-beams).

@JeezAJeep - I like the WIlly's a lot- your's looks sweet. Unfortunately, I can't configure it with the one-touch power top which is a requirement for my build.

The pricing tips you both provided are most helpful -- I downloaded the XLS from the site to determine invoice $$ and will use this as part of my negotiations.

Thanks again
I second the Willys vote. You can get the power top, you may have looked at the Willys Sport (bare bones version) on the website instead? I ordered my Willys with power top last week! Photo below from jeep configurator showing Willys + sky top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking to purchase my 1st Wrangler this week!  Could use some insight 1614079461806

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The Willy's can be optioned (as can the Sport S) with the Skytop, it is in the option section under the Sun and Sound package which also comes with the upgraded radio which you want. If you do buy the Willy's you may have to order one to get all the options you want.

If you don't need the tow hitch or the 4 way accessories, I wouldn't get the tow package. Your resale vale isn't going to increase by the $795 for that packing in the future.

As for any additional options, I got the full time 4WD. It is nice feature to have. Without it, I can see my girlfriend forgetting and driving around on dry pavement in regular 4WD with axles binding around corners.

For pricing, look at the stickies above to determine the invoice price and discount dealers in your area. If you get the Tread Lightly membership for $100, after 30 days you get 1% below invoice. In some areas it is hard to get much less than tread lightly discount. The dealer hold back is 3% on MSRP (subtracting destination) Some high volume places will 7-8% below invoice but with some caveats (using their financing, high document fees). Your not too far from the Criswell or Koons if you want to take a road trip.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
The Willy's can be optioned (as can the Sport S) with the Skytop, it is in the option section under the Sun and Sound package which also comes with the upgraded radio which you want. If you do buy the Willy's you may have to order one to get all the options you want.

If you don't need the tow hitch or the 4 way accessories, I wouldn't get the tow package. Your resale vale isn't going to increase by the $795 for that packing in the future.

As for any additional options, I got the full time 4WD. It is nice feature to have. Without it, I can see my girlfriend forgetting and driving around on dry pavement in regular 4WD with axles binding around corners.

For pricing, look at the stickies above to determine the invoice price and discount dealers in your area. If you get the Tread Lightly membership for $100, after 30 days you get 1% below invoice. In some areas it is hard to get much less than tread lightly discount. The dealer hold back is 3% on MSRP (subtracting destination) Some high volume places will 7-8% below invoice but with some caveats (using their financing, high document fees). Your not too far from the Criswell or Koons if you want to take a road trip.
You keep your 4WD Auto on full time? I ordered that option on my Willys after realizing how scary 2wd mode was in the rain with my current JL.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
You keep your 4WD Auto on full time? I ordered that option on my Willys after realizing how scary 2wd mode was in the rain with my current JL.
My Jeep is only on order. I would assume when the road conditions could be slippery that it would left in Auto 4WD mode. I would assume it probably gets worse fuel economy, so I wouldn't leave it in Auto 4WD. The 392 don't have 2WD mode so they are always in at least in Auto 4WD

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
The Willys can in fact be configured with the power top

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Fellow BMW owner here, 1991 M5...

Keep in mind the Rubicon has lower gearing and will be peppier especially if you go larger on the tire size.

I strongly recommend the Cooper S/T Maxx if you want a more aggressive looking tire that is quiet (assuming you rotate them at each oil change).

OP
OP

jhav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeezAJeep - yep, I got that one wrong... didn't see it buried in the package option listed below.

Thanks to everybody on this board for the feedback and advice. Fortunately/unfortunately, I've learned so much in the past 24 hours that it no longer looks like I am getting a car this week --- short term, this sucks, but definitely better in the long term.

Based on this board, I now have added the Advanced Safety Pkg and the Full Time 4WD to my config - probably going to eliminate tow pkg. I also leaned about 'Tread Lightly', the MSRP/Discount calculator, and of the preferred dealers/pricing section which will save me $$$. Probably gonna stick with HA ---actually like the exterior look of Willys better, but don't want to lose the HA seats/trim.

Hoping to select a dealer and finalize a deposit in the next 1-2 days... wonder what else I'll learn b/t now and then that would further impact my build.

I'm used to waiting a lot longer for my cars to be arrive from Germany ---- tracking the car carrier online as it slowly moves accross the Atlantic is agonizing --- 4-6 weeks from Toledo seems a lot easier. After a bunch of years and cars, still love getting a new toy/car. Can't wait for our 1st Jeep.

Thanks again everybody - really appreciate the feedback.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
@JeezAJeep - yep, I got that one wrong... didn't see it buried in the package option listed below.

Thanks to everybody on this board for the feedback and advice. Fortunately/unfortunately, I've learned so much in the past 24 hours that it no longer looks like I am getting a car this week --- short term, this sucks, but definitely better in the long term.

Based on this board, I now have added the Advanced Safety Pkg and the Full Time 4WD to my config - probably going to eliminate tow pkg. I also leaned about 'Tread Lightly', the MSRP/Discount calculator, and of the preferred dealers/pricing section which will save me $$$. Probably gonna stick with HA ---actually like the exterior look of Willys better, but don't want to lose the HA seats/trim.

Hoping to select a dealer and finalize a deposit in the next 1-2 days... wonder what else I'll learn b/t now and then that would further impact my build.

I'm used to waiting a lot longer for my cars to be arrive from Germany ---- tracking the car carrier online as it slowly moves accross the Atlantic is agonizing --- 4-6 weeks from Toledo seems a lot easier. After a bunch of years and cars, still love getting a new toy/car. Can't wait for our 1st Jeep.

Thanks again everybody - really appreciate the feedback.
Funny. Out of all the packages I researched with the Jeep, the only one I heard nightmare stories on was the Advanced Safety Package. I did not want it, so did not order. The trailer tow I believe came with the aux switches which is a huge plus. The power top looked good until I seen it with the rear windows out. It was a visual thing for me. But custom it to what you like. Good luck

OP
OP

jhav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only reason I'm adding advanced safety is because my daughter will be driving the car. While I hope it never needs to be used, I'm getting it solely for the advanced braking system. Nobody will use the auto-cruise (we have it in our current cars and never use it) and I heard that HB assist doesn't work all that well.
Sponsored