Looking to get a GMRS handheld

reost1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2022 Rubicon
So, I am going on a Jeep Jamboree next month. I need a GMRS radio. I do not do enough off roading to validate a hard wired GMRS radio. Has anybody had a good experience with a handheld GMRS radio? If so, which one do you recommend and why? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

kbp810

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The midland mxt’s have some mobile radios that are designed for temporary use. External magnet mount antenna and power that plugs into the lighter/vpa. Better performance than the typical bubble pack handheld.

For a handheld though… the midland x talkers or Motorola talksbouts perform well and have decent speakers. Good enough range for within a group; and I also keep a talk about handy for when I need to hop out of my jeep to spot someone or assist with recovery.

The baofeng handhelds used to be a go to; they worked on gmrs and “ham”; but the latest versions are locked out of gmrs now, without some fiddling and some key sequence dance to unlock it anyways. I think they sell some gmrs specific ones now too though? (Ones that are type certified for gmrs, and locked to gmrs only). Not sure, haven’t looked in a while.

edit: looks like baofeng uv9g is the gmrs specific variant.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just super general Gmrs radio I would recommend is radioditty gm-30.

Gmrs does require a license to use, $35 for 10 years. Whether or not you care to pay no one is actually going to come down and prosecute you.

FRS radios transmit on the same lower power freq as Gmrs and those are your typical bubble packs from Walmart etc.

I second looking at some stuff from notarubicon on YouTube.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Really happy with our Motorola T465 radios.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I'm really happy with the two Baofeng G11S units I purchased through Amazon.

Simple design, GMRS radio functions only, and they work well.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I have a mobile MXT115 in my JLU. Works well, for a simple mobile radio.

Baofeng G11S
I have 2 of the exact radios, but they are labeled as Retevis RB27, also on AMAZON. Good basic radio.

gburchett

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLR, Sting-Gray, ‘15 Ford Fusion, ‘16 F450

Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
FRS radios transmit on the same lower power freq as Gmrs and those are your typical bubble packs from Walmart etc.
Last year we picked up a pair of Midland GXT1000VP4 GMRS units for $68 at Walmart - they seem to work quite well.

Reactions: J0E

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
So, I am going on a Jeep Jamboree next month. I need a GMRS radio. I do not do enough off roading to validate a hard wired GMRS radio. Has anybody had a good experience with a handheld GMRS radio? If so, which one do you recommend and why? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Wouxun has the best radio performance. Noted by Notarubicon in his videos. I have multiple Wouxuns including handhelds (905G and 935G) and have a mobile installed in my Jeep and my van. I use the HTs for backcountry skiing as well. As for the license it extends to you and your family and does not require a test - do not assume you won’t get caught especially if you hit a repeater. As for FRS bubble pack radios they have fixed antennas and much lower power so in a big group or tricky terrain you really notice. Also any group I have seen using GMRS does not use the FRS lower power channels for the reasons I just mentioned.

Txcomp

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The best bargain for a really good GMRS + other freqs handheld = BAOFENG BF-F8HP UV-5R 3rd Gen for $ 69 at Amazon

Some are using the $29 version which works just as well
I have one of the Baofeng BF-F8HP's sitting on my desk and it works great on GMRS but when I originally answered, I didn't know if others on the forum would get "excited" recommending using a radio not specifically intended for GMRS.

I also have a Wouxun KG-UV9G that works well on GMRS too. It's a bit spendy for just a GMRS HT but I liked the bandwidth I could cover with the scanner.

FWIW, I have 2 sets of the Midland x-talker radios I carry in a bag in my Jeep that typically only get used when out playing. I have an MTX-275 hard mounted for me but use the HT's to lend to others so they can have coms also. They also come in handy at events when there is little to no cell coverage so you can stay in touch with your group.

OP, hope this helps!

Bobsled

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2005 TJ Rubicon
i picked up the Tid radio package off of Amazon
2 handhelds
4 batteries
2 handheld mics