Looking to change my tires -- 245/75/17 to 285/70/17

First Name
Breanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sport S
Hello,

I have a two door JL Wrangler Sport and I'm looking to change my 245/75/17 to 285/70/17.

I have a few questions:

1. Do I need a new tire mount for the spare or will the tire fit nice on stock?

2. I'm liking the Falcon A/T3W, thoughts? (I know BF Goodrich is a popular vote but I've seen the reviews and noise seems to be a big problem with these, let me know otherwise)

3. What is the best AT tire for all weather and minimal noise? (Noise is not something I'm too worried about, I just want to be able to hold a conversation with my passengers)

Also, I will be looking into lifting it slightly which brings me to my final question:

4. Can I do without a lift for the time being with the 285/70/17s without rubbing?
Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I also have a 2-door Sport, with 295/70/17’s. I can help with questions 1 and 4. The spare fits just fine, but if you change rims (mine are now 4.5” backspace) you’ll want extended bump stops on the tailgate at the bottom of the tire. I read somewhere the tailgate can support 85 pounds without reinforcement.
I can’t give you a precise answer about rubbing because it depends on your use. I know with my 295’s and a 2.5” Teraflex lift, they advised new rims with 4.75” backspacing or less to prevent rubbing at full articulation. Perhaps someone with 285’s on stock rims will chime in.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Breanna, when the times comes for a mild lift might check into a Rubicon suspension swap, here's my install thread on them
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
And as far as AT tires, you won't find a better AT than the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 (unbtil the newest one comes out soon). They have a crazy deal going on now and @Discount Tire has been price matching, that 285/70/17 comes out to $195 a tire (they're buy 3 get 1 free!)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-of-mickey-thompson-atz-p3s-get-em-now.68757/

OP
OP
bpbearwrangler
First Name
Breanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a 2-door Sport, with 295/70/17’s. I can help with questions 1 and 4. The spare fits just fine, but if you change rims (mine are now 4.5” backspace) you’ll want extended bump stops on the tailgate at the bottom of the tire. I read somewhere the tailgate can support 85 pounds without reinforcement.
I can’t give you a precise answer about rubbing because it depends on your use. I know with my 295’s and a 2.5” Teraflex lift, they advised new rims with 4.75” backspacing or less to prevent rubbing at full articulation. Perhaps someone with 285’s on stock rims will chime in.
Thanks for the help! I was able to get the set up I wanted and there is no rubbing at all and it gives my Jeep such a better look.

I went with 33' Falkon A/T tires and the 17' wheels. No lift, no backspacing. Just stock suspension. and the spare mounds beautifully with no rubbing also :)

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Whaaaat???? No pics?

I put 285/75R17 Toyo AT III tires on my stock JLU and have had no rubbing issues at all. The tire fits fine on the stock tire carrier as well.

Let's see your Jeep, Breanna!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bpbearwrangler
First Name
Breanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whaaaat???? No pics?

I put 275/75R17 Toyo AT III tires on my stock JLU and have had no rubbing issues at all. The tire fits fine on the stock tire carrier as well.

Here's where she's at so far! :)

thumbnail (2).jPG

Viggen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2door
Whaaaat???? No pics?

I put 275/75R17 Toyo AT III tires on my stock JLU and have had no rubbing issues at all. The tire fits fine on the stock tire carrier as well.

Please confirm the tire size. I do not see that size listed. Maybe 285/75? Thanks