First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A 6 speed also means less opportunity to use a phone while driving. Can't text and shift.
Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I'd recommend a 2012+ 2-door JK Sport-S if you can find one unmolested. Many good reasons mentioned. The 2012+ JK chassis has a lot of good safety features (ABS, traction control) as well as the more economical 3.6L and better 5spd auto trans. I'm not sure I'd mix a manual trans with a NEW teen driver right off the bat. My $1 worth.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I would consider selling my TJ. 4.0 I6 with 110k miles, 5 speed manual, 4 inch lift, 35 inch BFG MT's, 4.56 gears, ARB rear locker, Detroit front locker with Warn hubs. Roll cage, 9.5 Warn winch and much more.
Bend, Or

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking to buy Jeep JKU Sport for my sons first car....lots of questions half top driveway - Copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking to buy Jeep JKU Sport for my sons first car....lots of questions jeep at CH

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking to buy Jeep JKU Sport for my sons first car....lots of questions moab.JPG

Last edited:

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR
How about, you want a car, get a job and buy one. Now you can't drive it until you pay for insurance. That's what my Dad did. Learning responsibility at a young age is priceless.

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

Hi there,
I am relatively new to jeeps. I am on my first one and love it. I have the typical take-offs:, rims, tires, shocks, springs, front and rear track bars, rock rails, etc...that I have replaced on my JLUR....bumpers are next. I was wondering what if any of this stuff would work on a JKU Sport. If the answer is not much then guess I might consider a JLU for him. Thanks in advance for any info.
Why a Wrangler for a first car? Are you planning on wheeling/camping with him? If so, great choice. If it's going to be a pavement-pounder - it's tippy, doesn't handle well, terrible gas mileage, expensive, etc. If I end up buying my daughter a first car (she'll be paying for at least 1/2), it will be a used Prius.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Id stay away from those exact years. Those motors/trans setups were dogs and most of them have oil consumption issues.
Our 2010 JKU has over 200K miles on the original engine and transmission and doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil. That said, yes, getting a 3.6L vs the 3.8L in the newer models (2013+...don't get a 2012) will give you more horsepower.

Back to the original question, JL wheels will work on the JK but the TPMS sensors will have to be changed since they are not the same. The tires will fit but will be snug if not lifted.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The best buys right now are JKs with 3.8s, '07-'11. No lift, no engine mods. Teach him to drive a 6 speed so none of his friends can drive it. A good set of 32" AT tires is all it will need.
This, or as noted an older TJ would also be great. The old 2.5 is slow, so he will not be running 90, and a stick will force him to learn to drive instead of just steer plus his buddies won’t be driving it. His first vehicle will no doubt get dinked, might as well be something less expensive. Also, be a great chance to teach the boy some maintenance/repair skills.

Sponsored

thebeardedflip

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU SPORT Altitude, 97 TJ 4 cyl, 5 spd
I would consider selling my TJ. 4.0 I6 with 110k miles, 5 speed manual, 4 inch lift, 35 inch BFG MT's, 4.56 gears, ARB rear locker, Detroit front locker with Warn hubs. Roll cage, 9.5 Warn winch and much more.
Bend, Or

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking to buy Jeep JKU Sport for my sons first car....lots of questions moab.JPG

How much for that beauty?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
@xeon

Since this thread popped back up, did you ever find a Jeep for your son?
Sponsored