xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hi there,
I am relatively new to jeeps. I am on my first one and love it. I have the typical take-offs:, rims, tires, shocks, springs, front and rear track bars, rock rails, etc...that I have replaced on my JLUR....bumpers are next. I was wondering what if any of this stuff would work on a JKU Sport. If the answer is not much then guess I might consider a JLU for him. Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
You can make things fit.....

First car? Get him an old TJ. 2.5 with a 5 speed manual. You should be able to find one cheap. He won't be able to get into much trouble with that engine and trans. Pretty reliable. You won't care a ton if he damages it.

Why a 4 door? 2 doors are pretty dang fun.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I donā€™t believe much of those fit if any. The rims and tires will but for JL stock Rubicons 285-70-17 size youā€™ll need wheel spacers or a 1.5 inch slight lift on a JK to fit. Thereā€™s an ample amount of JK and JLs around so Iā€™m sure you guys will find what you want either way.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
4 doors mean that he can take more passengers. Not good when for teens, exposes you to too much liability. Get 2 door and take out the back seat.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
4 doors mean that he can take more passengers. Not good when for teens, exposes you to too much liability. Get 2 door and take out the back seat.
Take out the back seat and put spikes in the cargo area to prevent shenanigans.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The best buys right now are JKs with 3.8s, '07-'11. No lift, no engine mods. Teach him to drive a 6 speed so none of his friends can drive it. A good set of 32" AT tires is all it will need.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You can make things fit.....

First car? Get him an old TJ. 2.5 with a 5 speed manual. You should be able to find one cheap. He won't be able to get into much trouble with that engine and trans. Pretty reliable. You won't care a ton if he damages it.

Why a 4 door? 2 doors are pretty dang fun.
I really like this idea.

OP, do this.

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The best buys right now are JKs with 3.8s, '07-'11. No lift, no engine mods. Teach him to drive a 6 speed so none of his friends can drive it. A good set of 32" AT tires is all it will need.
Id stay away from those exact years. Those motors/trans setups were dogs and most of them have oil consumption issues.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yep, they are dogs. A teenage boy doesnā€™t need a fast Jeep. Itā€™s old enough where he can learn how to fix things on it too. The 3.8 is fairly reliable. And anyone who canā€™t be bothered to pull the dipstick at least once a week probably shouldnā€™t be driving. Those 4 speed autos sucked, thatā€™s why I recommended the 6 speed.

Last edited:

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I wouldn't buy him a JL specifically because you have a few hundred dollars in takeoff parts...

If you did the TJ like suggested above, avoid bigger lifts with a new driver IMO. Never drove a JK so I can't comment there.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a few 3.8L JKs with the 6-speed manual: it was a hoot to drive! Fast it was not, but it sure was fun, particularly in 2-doors.

I agree with the above: I wouldnā€™t put a teenager in a JL. Let him learn to appreciate things in life.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Get him an old Iron Duke YJ with half-doors. It will never break down, going over 50 mph downhill is a chore, and there are no electronic component issues, only because the headlights and radio are the only electronic items. But it had the best heater ever built.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I really like this idea.

OP, do this.
Yeah, a 2.5 TJ and you wonā€™t have to worry about any high speed incidentsšŸ˜. Pretty reliable and solid platform W/o a lot of the complexities of more modern Jeeps. Would be a great first car. Kid would learn to drive before in something powerful and expensive.
Sponsored