Looking to Buy a used Jl Sahara

Jarrett568

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I found a 2018 Jl sahara with 20,000 miles on it. This Jl is everything i have been looking for it has all the features I want. This sahara has the v6 which I wouldnt mind if it is as good as everybody says it is. I was really looking at getting a brand new JL. I have never purchased a used car before but I know jeeps are known for their reliability. I also figure it is better for me to purchase a used one with all the features i want rather than get a new one for possibly more money and less features. Is the used Sahara with 20,000 miles, every feature i want and a V6 a no brainer?? I am looking at making this purchase very very soon I have been dying to own a wrangler since i was 16. I am also new to the forum so any information on what to expect would be appreciated!
Sponsored

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I found a 2018 Jl sahara with 20,000 miles on it. This Jl is everything i have been looking for it has all the features I want. This sahara has the v6 which I wouldnt mind if it is as good as everybody says it is. I was really looking at getting a brand new JL. I have never purchased a used car before but I know jeeps are known for their reliability. I also figure it is better for me to purchase a used one with all the features i want rather than get a new one for possibly more money and less features. Is the used Sahara with 20,000 miles, every feature i want and a V6 a no brainer?? I am looking at making this purchase very very soon I have been dying to own a wrangler since i was 16. I am also new to the forum so any information on what to expect would be appreciated!

"but I know jeeps are known for their reliability."

Not sure if serious....

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
considering the great deals on new 2019’s (6 - 8% under invoice), and the even better deal for left over new 2018, i hope it is an amazing deal.

If it truly has the options you want, and it is a great deal, go for it. It will still have the remainder of the factory warrany.

I am pretty picky, so i would rather have a used model that has everything i want, than a new one that is missing many of the options i want to fit a budget. If i went with a new one that was missing options, i would be having a little regret every time i got in it.

Not right or wrong, just the way i am wired:)

Cheers

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
Order a new 2019 from Criswell. Will be exactly what you want.
8% under invoice... which is about 13% off MSRP.
They will probably sell u a 2018 off the lot for a even bigger discount. Buy new!!!! Cheaper interest rate than a used Jeep also. It’s a NO Brainer to buy Used....not a totally high miles used one

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jarrett568

Jarrett568

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
"but I know jeeps are known for their reliability."

Not sure if serious....
Why wouldnt i be serious? Arent the v6 engines known for being reliable? I see people talkng about how they run well for years and they dont experience a lot of issues

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Why wouldnt i be serious? Arent the v6 engines known for being reliable? I see people talkng about how they run well for years and they dont experience a lot of issues
The engines, sure, but there are so many different complex systems in new vehicles, and with FCA’s record, I don’t think we’re looking at anything near high reliability.

Keeps are really known for a few things. Leaking, wind noise, fun, off road ability, and incredibly high resale value. The resale value is typically high enough that you should just buy new.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The engines, sure, but there are so many different complex systems in new vehicles, and with FCA’s record, I don’t think we’re looking at anything near high reliability.

Keeps are really known for a few things. Leaking, wind noise, fun, off road ability, and incredibly high resale value. The resale value is typically high enough that you should just buy new.
OP, if you are looking to buy a 2018, there are still some new ones on dealer lots. Full warranty and no miles. There are reports here of folks getting HUGE discounts on them (search the board) as the dealers need to clear them. Also, there are a lot of 2019 — a lot— still at the dealers and the 2020 model year is only a few months away. So, dealers are already trying to move 2019s and again, people are getting very good deals on brand new vehicles.

If you go with the used 2018 make sure it is at a steep discount to the current new price. The good news is that the 20,000 mile 2018 may have had all the kinks of the new model year worked out. Check it’s repair history.

Oh, and the V6 is a fine, reliable engine.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
With all the steering issues, I'd get a 2019 or 20.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Arent the v6 engines known for being reliable?
No.

The first Gen Pentastar 3.6 had cylinder head/rocker/lifter issues. FCA only admitted to “production” issues with 2012-13 models, but the problem persists into the 2016 model year and now some 2017’s are showing up too. It’s a design flaw, not a defect.

Good news is that the JL 3.6 is a second gen redesigned Pentastar, so hopefully they fixed it. We should start having a good idea soon, since the engine debuted back in 2016 with WK2/WD

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
How have you gone through life never buying a used car? I’m 45 and my JL is my first new car...and only because the depreciation is so low and lack of used options.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
No.

The first Gen Pentastar 3.6 had cylinder head/rocker/lifter issues. FCA only admitted to “production” issues with 2012-13 models, but the problem persists into the 2016 model year and now some 2017’s are showing up too. It’s a design flaw, not a defect.

Good news is that the JL 3.6 is a second gen redesigned Pentastar, so hopefully they fixed it. We should start having a good idea soon, since the engine debuted back in 2016 with WK2/WD
My 2018 JL had faulty rocker arms.

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I'll echo what @Dkretden said. One great thing about Wranglers is how well they hold their value, so this used one (with relatively high miles) may not be priced much lower than a brand new 2018 that dealers are trying to move. If cost is a big driver for you, definitely search local inventory of leftover 2018s before pulling the trigger on a used one.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
How have you gone through life never buying a used car? I’m 45 and my JL is my first new car...and only because the depreciation is so low and lack of used options.
I have 15 years on you and I have never purchased used. I buy new and keep it for 12-14years. Not sure the JL will last that long.......but, hopeful.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
A used Wrangler is never a "no brainer" due to the silly high resale value. Have you looked at how much used ones cost?? Much better to shop hard for a new one for just a bit more. My wife only kept her 2012 for a year but it ended up on a used car lot for over a thousand more than we paid for it brand new. And that's before you even think about whether the late model used one may be a company buyback or something (they can't all be corporate executive vehicles like they always tell you lol)
Sponsored