Sponsored

Looking to buy a Rubicon - advice please.

Jr88fn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Looking to buy a Rubicon it will be my daily driver. Pros/cons between to 2.0 turbo and the v6? Any complaints with the 2.0 turbo with higher mileage? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There is a dedicated thread for the 3.6L and 2.0T on this forum. It is best if you do some reading there. You will, of course, quickly Find out that there are a range of opinions on this topic.

I have a JLUR 3.6L auto. I use it as a DD. I hate the ESS and turn it off each time I start it. When I was looking I did a lot of research on the 3.6L vs the 2.0T. In the end, I decided potato-potatoe. Both engines had some pros and cons.

i purchased my Jeep off the lot and it had the 3.6L. If it had the 2.0T and was configured the same, I would have purchased it too. I was engine agnostic.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
No bad choices. I am sure you will be happy with either engine. Go test drive them both back to back to see which one you prefer. Have fun test driving them!

Last edited:

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I landed with the V6 just cause Iā€™m on the highway and malls so I prefer the passing power at 80 MPH on the interstate (figure re-gearing will help with the initial oomph). On my JKU, I had a supercharger that I could not get the tune right and it would surge the Jeep forward sometimes similar to what turbo lag would be like. Call it personal/psychological trauma but I noticed the turbo lag on the 2.0 which is why I didnā€™t go for it. Heard great things about the 2.0 though so Iā€™m sure itā€™s not a bad engine (my understanding, from the dealer, is while itā€™s new to the US, itā€™s been a tried and true engine overseas); just personal/anecdotal input here.

EVMIII

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired, USAF
I just did a bunch of research and reading on this issue and decided on the 3.6. My biggest concern with the 2.0 is it still seems to be evolving and long term support/expertise concerned me a little. I know some folks that love their 2.0, but I'm happy with choice. I think you will be satisfied with either choice. Enjoy your Jeep, see you on the trails.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i went with the 3.6 and 8 spd auto because imo its the best combo in a jeep. plenty of hp and tourge. also the 3.6 is very reliable and long term ownership. the 2.0 runs a turbo and its fairly new. so its hard how well it will preform in the long run.

like some have mentioned above, you need to test drive both and see which one you want. folks here will choose the 3.6 because of long term reliability and ownership while other take the 2.0 for short time ownership / lease.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Here I have a challenge for you. Go to a dealership (preferably on a weekday afternoon when they aren't busy and you won't be interrupting them from helping other customers). Tell the dealer you plan to order a Jeep, but first want to do an experiment. Ask him to pull up a V6 and a 2.0T. Take both for a 10-15 mile test drive on the same route. See if you can feel the difference. Which one do you like better?

Then (this is the fun part) ask him to pull up a third Jeep, but don't tell you which engine it has in it. Take it on the same route. See if you can figure out which engine that Jeep has. My guess is that 80% of drivers, including those writing lengthy explanations of why the engine in their Jeep is by far superior, wouldn't be able to confidently guess.

If you're a real buyer and not wasting the dealer's time, I bet they'd be willing to do this. And you'd have some fun while figuring out which engine you like better.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The two gas motors are so close in performance and efficiency that it boils down to personal preference.

I had the V6 in my JKs and was very happy with it. For JL, Jeep improved the response and refinement, and with the 8-speed automatic it really shines. The 2.0T felt spunky around town but didnā€™t care for the engine noise.

IMO, the EcoDiesel is not worth the money. Particularly given the spotty record itā€˜s had. Despite FCAā€™s assurances that all those issues have been fixed, there are already posts of people having problems with their brand-new EcoDiesel.

The 3.6 V6 is a proven engine so that was a big deal for me. So far so good. Knock on wood.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
i purchased my Jeep off the lot and it had the 3.6L. If it had the 2.0T and was configured the same, I would have purchased it too. I was engine agnostic.
Pretty much this. I had a slight preference for the 3.6 as I think it is about as bullet-proof as you can get, but if the color and spec I wanted had a 2.0 I would have bought it.

fwiw so far I'm finding I'm getting better than EPA listed mileage on the highway but totally depends on how you drive.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
When I was looking to order a JL in 2018 I never considered the 2.0 in any of my builds. But just before I ordered, I found a JL on a lot with all the options I wanted (great deal too)......but it had the 2.0 E torque. Damn. But after test driving it, I was very impressed. I bought it, and never looked back. Drive it for yourself and then decide. Stock Rubicon - no issues (with motor) at all. Good luck.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Love the 3.6 but hear th 2.0L is nice. I personally wouldnt do the 2.0 due to the battery assist that came with it but I hear they dont have that any more OR can be ordered without it?? Maybe others can chime in on this.
Sponsored