Sponsored

Looking to buy a Rubicon - advice please.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It is the golden age for engines in Jeeps. They are the best ever offered. They each have advantages, and I don't think any have a real downside.

I went 3.6 because I wanted the manual transmission and being that I ordered on the first day they opened it up, the V6 was proven and the 2.0 was not only new, but still months away from production. Today, the 2.0 has a track record and it is very good. TIme will tell, but I think it has shown to be strong out of the gate. It has handled hard off-roading and is outstanding on the road, getting mileage that was unimaginable for a Jeep not too long ago. (The V6 is close, but can't match it.)

If I didn't love manuals so much and I were buying today, I'd go with the Jeep on which I could get the best deal.

Btw, where I live, you couldn't test drive both because they don't have any. People are buying them literally as the truck unloads. All they have are a few Gladiators.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
A lot of the decision is based on usage.
For the trails, a 3.6 is more advantageous.
Concerned with reliability of a 2.0. That 4cly motor has to push a bunch of weight.
The 3.6 just keeps everything simple and is tried and true.
Rented a 2.0 Sahara once. Did fine on the hwy.
For me, a 3.6 is the way to go

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I went 3.6 because K.I.S.S
I agree..a lot to be said for simple. In a ideal world anyway. Problem is both engines have complex components that the engines rely on to run. I don't think the engine choice is as important. Actually it's more the peripherals, everything attached to the engines. It's much more probable a vehicle is inoperative from a faulty peripheral then a failure from a actual engine component. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. FCA has problems with it's ESS system, software, charging, batteries. There's a problem somewhere and they need to fix it. Weird things happen when the batteries are bad. Many rigs get stranded with a bad ESS battery.

Ironically cars are much more complex and complicated today but are actually more reliable then cars from just 5-6 years ago. The dependability/relibility gap between brands is closing. According to JD Powers anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited: