Sponsored

Looking into a JLU EcoDiesel order - so anyone on here actually have a good experience with the engine?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I put nearly 100k on a 2014 GC 3.0 diesel. I loved the fuel economy, I loved the torque. The love affair ended there. $240 oil changes, def pump, check engine lights so many times I can't count, or remember why left a bad taste in my mouth. Had an extended warranty or wouldn't have kept it that long. We drove a LOT of highway miles so never really saw a regen, driving mostly around town or short trips you will. I almost bought a 3.0 Sahara, then remembered the $30 oil filter and 9 quarts of synthetic oil and slapped some sense in myself.
I’m doing my first oil change this weekend: less than $100. Likely less than 15 minutes. Less time than it takes to drive to the dealer.
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m doing my first oil change this weekend: less than $100. Likely less than 15 minutes. Less time than it takes to drive to the dealer.
First oil change in 3.6 was $50, I'm already ahead.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I love the diesel. 9k miles with zero problems. I have used 5 gallons of DEF but no big deal. I average around 26 MPG mostly highway climbing and descending 6k feet per day. I use jeep wave for the first 4 oil changes and renew when time comes up. My diesel GC has close to 100k on it and again no real issues. I agree if you do mostly city driving or a lot of stop and go, the diesel may not be good for you. With over 95% freeway driving and the occasional off road, this is the best jeep I ever had.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
@rickinAZ
Make sure to take a peek at the manual. IIRC there is some language in there about letting it drain for 15 or 30 minutes. And after you watch how slow the oil drains out of the filter housing, you kinda see why. I think the fear is that you may send some chunky stuff to the bearings. Too much of the dirty oil could end up on the clean side of the new filter.

Just saying maybe don't be in a rush. It bothered me to wait the extra time. Especially since I was already stewing on the whole canister/housing situation. But I sat around until every last drop had drained from the housing. Then I waited a few more minutes for good measure. Totally stupid. A spin on oil filter could have been remote mounted anywhere and filters would have cost $10-20.

Anyway, I'm babbling.

Jlonz 3.0l

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 2007 Jeep Liberty, 2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Electronic Tech
Currently have 20,500 on mine. Picked it up in June no problems thus far. Currently getting 35+mpg hand calculated. Have used around 7.5 gal DEF. Currently all stock. It is a pleasure to drive.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Currently have 20,500 on mine. Picked it up in June no problems thus far. Currently getting 35+mpg hand calculated. Have used around 7.5 gal DEF. Currently all stock. It is a pleasure to drive.
Packing on the miles! What do you do for work?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work for the USPS. My commute to work is 264 round trip.
Holy smoke. I thought that my 110 mile round trip was a lot. To avoid putting too many miles on the Rubicon I drive the GC 2 days a week, the Rubicon 2 days a week and the old but reliable 2002 F-350 diesel once a week. That works for me.

Jlonz 3.0l

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 2007 Jeep Liberty, 2015 Jeep Wrangler, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
Electronic Tech
Holy smoke. I thought that my 110 mile round trip was a lot. To avoid putting too many miles on the Rubicon I drive the GC 2 days a week, the Rubicon 2 days a week and the old but reliable 2002 F-350 diesel once a week. That works for me.
I bought it to drive. Traded in my 2015 Renegade Trailhawk that I got new with just over 300,000 miles.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought it to drive. Traded in my 2015 Renegade Trailhawk that I got new with just over 300,000 miles.
Total understand. I waited for the diesel because of the amount of driving I do every day. So far everything is exactly what I was hoping for.

Sponsored

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Not sure if it helps, but I’ve got 1700 miles on mine. No problems so far. Averaging 26.5 mpg. I drive mine once a week to work 90 miles round trip and then all weekends. Freaking love it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm way behind you guys. I'm averaging in the 19s on 35s, but it's a lot of city streets with short hops on the highway thrown in. Driving the same way, I averaged in the 13s in my JKR (on 35s). That's 6 mpg better for the diesel than the Pentastar; which is the exact same delta as the JLURD and the JKR have on their EPA combined ratings.

For me it's about the diesel experience rather than fuel savings, but, on the economic front, I haven't paid more than $1.699/gallon so far. Only 953 miles.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@rickinAZ
Make sure to take a peek at the manual. IIRC there is some language in there about letting it drain for 15 or 30 minutes. And after you watch how slow the oil drains out of the filter housing, you kinda see why. I think the fear is that you may send some chunky stuff to the bearings. Too much of the dirty oil could end up on the clean side of the new filter.

Just saying maybe don't be in a rush. It bothered me to wait the extra time. Especially since I was already stewing on the whole canister/housing situation. But I sat around until every last drop had drained from the housing. Then I waited a few more minutes for good measure. Totally stupid. A spin on oil filter could have been remote mounted anywhere and filters would have cost $10-20.

Anyway, I'm babbling.
Good advice. 30 minutes in, and still a small but unbroken stream draining. And...the oil filter feels like it was tightened at the factory with an impact wrench - 18 lbft my butt!

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I really wouldn't care if it only got the same mileage as my 14 Altitude that I traded. The torque alone is worth the price of admission. So far, 6k miles (about 2 k of that off road) no issues. As mentioned, this engine is a beast off road. Just wish it wasn't so heavy....
Sponsored