Sponsored

Looking into a JLU EcoDiesel order - so anyone on here actually have a good experience with the engine?

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
6500 miles since April purchase. At least half if not more of those miles hauling an off road trailer all over Colorado. Use more DEF than expected but an easy and cheap(Walmart) fix. I absolutely love this engine and the Rubicon package we got. Upgraded from a 2016 2door Rubicon and it's like night and day on power, mileage and overall comfort. Knock on wood, but I just can't imagine a better package. Didn't do it to save money, did it for the performance. Still get around 25 mpg combined, and around 21 hauling our trailer. Happy camper.
Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I Love Mine. Even though she is at the dealer due to a DEF pump issue, I would not get another version. This to me is the setup Jeep has been missing for many years. Plenty of Torque and decent power. Great fuel economy and eventually the ability to tune.

My issue is a DEF pump failure. Only 4500 miles. But you know what, Let them fix it! Just make sure that if you plan to keep the emissions on after payoff, buy the Chrysler extended bumper to bumper. The power train warranty will not cover the DEF system, only bumper to bumper will.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
In my situation, plenty of issues with the Diesel but mymajor issue is FCA aka @JeepCares ... no clarity of when parts will be available and what the fixes will be.

Some have issues some do not. Most of the issues have to do with the EGR/Aftertreatment /Throttle

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
I have almost 15,000 on mine that I picked up in March, including a 4300 mile trip in 8 days. It performed amazing in the mountains and hills of South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. As other said, I use more DEF than I anticipated. Other than that, I love it!

Sponsored

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
I Love Mine. Even though she is at the dealer due to a DEF pump issue, I would not get another version. This to me is the setup Jeep has been missing for many years. Plenty of Torque and decent power. Great fuel economy and eventually the ability to tune.

My issue is a DEF pump failure. Only 4500 miles. But you know what, Let them fix it! Just make sure that if you plan to keep the emissions on after payoff, buy the Chrysler extended bumper to bumper. The power train warranty will not cover the DEF system, only bumper to bumper will.

Are you in Houston area by any chance? Curious which dealership yours is at? I bought mine from Demontrond and was wondering about DEF and the warranty.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Are you in Houston area by any chance? Curious which dealership yours is at? I bought mine from Demontrond and was wondering about DEF and the warranty.
I bought mine in Nacadoches but I live in the Victoria area, so I have it in Victoria. I bought the aftermarket factory bumper to bumper to cover the DEF for the length of my loan and beyond. the factory warranty on emissions components only covers 3 years! $1800 well worth every penny!

steverino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
i love mine too. The 8 speed is great. The torque is amazing. I haven’t driven it as much as these other guys. I need to get out more. I just came back from Coyote flats in the Sierras.

look up YouTube channel Casey 250.

steverino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
One thing to keep in mind with Diesel. I think this applies to any Diesel but more so after 2007 with move to DEF... That is
if most of your driving is short around town and once in a while on the highway... you most likely don't want a diesel..

Real world example.
UPS used to have Diesel trucks. Now they are gas. FedEx still has Diesel.
When the UPS driver stops, they turn the truck off.
Fedex - they leave the truck running.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to keep in mind with Diesel. I think this applies to any Diesel but more so after 2007 with move to DEF... That is
if most of your driving is short around town and once in a while on the highway... you most likely don't want a diesel..

Real world example.
UPS used to have Diesel trucks. Now they are gas. FedEx still has Diesel.
When the UPS driver stops, they turn the truck off.
Fedex - they leave the truck running.
Yet another example of the start/stop feature on the diesel being dumb. Diesels want to stay hot and want to work.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Anyone who complains about modern environmental controls has clearly not experienced early ones. I came of age in the early 70s when emissions controls absolutely choked engines. Today's powerplants are clean, smooth-running, and ultra powerful. It really is a golden age. Go jump into a 1973 454 c.i. Corvette and watch virtually any modern Wrangler walk away from it in acceleration. Including the diesel.

Teddy B

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0
7500 miles zero issues. Long road trips, Moab twice, great mpg. No regrets.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I put nearly 100k on a 2014 GC 3.0 diesel. I loved the fuel economy, I loved the torque. The love affair ended there. $240 oil changes, def pump, check engine lights so many times I can't count, or remember why left a bad taste in my mouth. Had an extended warranty or wouldn't have kept it that long. We drove a LOT of highway miles so never really saw a regen, driving mostly around town or short trips you will. I almost bought a 3.0 Sahara, then remembered the $30 oil filter and 9 quarts of synthetic oil and slapped some sense in myself.
Sponsored