Sponsored

Looking into a Awning, could use some advice from those with one.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
2018 JLUS w/Pioneer Backbone - Looking to get a awning soon.

Narrowed it down to these two
92023 7194 1 OVS NOMADIC 270 PS DK GR BLK CVR WBKT 19529907
12120 4130 1 RHINO RACK BATWING AWNING DRIVER MOUNT 33100

Any opinions on these?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Awnings are of limited use for avoiding sun. You’re usually just as well off using your rig for shade unless it’s midday.

Awnings can be nice for rain. Sort of depends where you wheel.

If you get a 270 degree setup, you will look like a food truck and other overlanders will arrive expecting tacos.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I really like the Rhino Rack 270 degree awning. Also a fan of one called the Wraptor.

OP
OP
JO DYRT

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Awnings are of limited use for avoiding sun. You’re usually just as well off using your rig for shade unless it’s midday.

Awnings can be nice for rain. Sort of depends where you wheel.

If you get a 270 degree setup, you will look like a food truck and other overlanders will arrive expecting tacos.
So you are telling me I can pay for the awning by selling Tacos? Sounds like a deal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JO DYRT

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the Rhino Rack 270 degree awning. Also a fan of one called the Wraptor.
I have heard the Rhino can be a bit flimsy on the connectors. I see alot of people say buy extras.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I have heard the Rhino can be a bit flimsy on the connectors. I see alot of people say buy extras.
Are you talking about the plastic pivot point? RR has somehow positioned that as a purpose built breaking point, which I thought was a little strange.

They made it sound like a stiff Breeze turns that awning into a giant Jeep Sail.

Truth be told, I have a fold up awning I bought at the local Academy Sports store that has add on walls, a d it works VERY well.
Certainly not as compact, but it was all less than $100 too...

OP
OP
JO DYRT

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about the plastic pivot point? RR has somehow positioned that as a purpose built breaking point, which I thought was a little strange.

They made it sound like a stiff Breeze turns that awning into a giant Jeep Sail.

Truth be told, I have a fold up awning I bought at the local Academy Sports store that has add on walls, a d it works VERY well.
Certainly not as compact, but it was all less than $100 too...
Yes the Plastic Hinges are the weak point. Do not really want to drop that kind of money and worry about it breaking every time it is used. All the others seem to be built better to last up. Just hoping to get some first hand use knowledge.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
2018 JLUS w/Pioneer Backbone - Looking to get a awning soon.

Narrowed it down to these two
92023 7194 1 OVS NOMADIC 270 PS DK GR BLK CVR WBKT 19529907
12120 4130 1 RHINO RACK BATWING AWNING DRIVER MOUNT 33100

Any opinions on these?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.
On the same journey and narrowed it down to the same two. Everything else is too small or too expensive. OVS is the way I am going to go though after watching videos. Just waiting for a sale or maybe a used one to popup. Here are a few of the videos I watched. In the first one, at minute 1:20 you can see the Rhino Rack awning plastic hinges snap in what I consider medium wind. Yes, there is a better way to do it that helps prevent snapping, but then two people are better to set it up and I don't always go with family.

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
First, let me say I really dig the look of a awning mounted to a roof rack. But my situation and build came with some issues. I have a 2 Door w/Maximus 3 roof rack, but my short platform (54" in length) limits my options on awnings w/usable shade. 4' to 6'' lengths (not ideal in the Texas sun) was about my limit on mounting to the rack. Then a channel I follow on Youtube reviewed the Moonshade portable awning for his Gladiator. With multiple mounting options and wide coverage (9' x 7') this product was the answer I was looking for. Deploys and packs quickly, lots of shade and I purchased the optional side wall that will yield even more shade and privacy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking into a Awning, could use some advice from those with one. 20220902_173326 (2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking into a Awning, could use some advice from those with one. 20220902_173413 (2)

Last edited:

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have a Rhino Rack 270 batwing awning. I do not use it as often as I thought I would. It is nice to have though. Easy to deploy and easy to put away. Take about a minute to set up and take down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking into a Awning, could use some advice from those with one. 1664534231955

I use these instead of tent stakes. I run them in and take them out with my 1/4 impact gun. They hold way better than a tent stake.

timber screws
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking into a Awning, could use some advice from those with one. 1664534352494

OP
OP
JO DYRT

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
On the same journey and narrowed it down to the same two. Everything else is too small or too expensive. OVS is the way I am going to go though after watching videos. Just waiting for a sale or maybe a used one to popup. Here are a few of the videos I watched. In the first one, at minute 1:20 you can see the Rhino Rack awning plastic hinges snap in what I consider medium wind. Yes, there is a better way to do it that helps prevent snapping, but then two people are better to set it up and I don't always go with family.
I did go the OVS route.

OP
OP
JO DYRT

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Have you used it already? Thoughts?

I have used it once only, It is stout for sure and seems well made. I really think I made the right choice for me. I just am waiting for the next journey to use it on.
Sponsored