Sponsored

Looking for upgraded tire carrier. Suggestions appreciated!

EndiSky

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius C (seriously)
2018 JLUR
Stock bumper
Just upgraded to 37 mt's on 17" Black Rhino Armory wheels.

I'm looking for suggestions on beefing up the tailgate enough to support these HEAVY wheels/tires! I'm thinking something with a hinge upgrade might be the way to go so I've been eyeing the Smittybilt Pivot HD, however that price is somewhat steep. If anyone has thoughts on a lower priced option or justifications for going with the Smitty that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.
Sponsored

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
im still not clear on whether the mopar tailgate reinforcement is a good idea (best idea?) for carrying 37" tires on the tailgate. I have an RC bracket for mine right now, but when we go offroad, i am going to want to upgrade this. I am watching this thread for advice. Historically, I always went with bumper and off tailgate carriers attached to bumper.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I went full Cavfab on the rear of my JLUR. With the spare mounted and the gate open, I hung my 180lbs on the latch side and couldn't get any flex out of it.

Mopar parts cost too many bucks for too little gain. Their reinforcement doesn't do anything for the hinges and they force you to use a crappy relocation bracket for the plastic carrier vs a proper adjustable kind. Those relocation brackets tend to lift the tire too far, but more importantly, they shift the tire further from the tailgate. Doing so will amplify the twisting affect on the gate. Even if the rubber bumpers are extended, it still doesn't counter the cantilevered weight.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for upgraded tire carrier. Suggestions appreciated! 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for upgraded tire carrier. Suggestions appreciated! 20201223_135529

GoingInJeep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep JAY EL
Occupation
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
that is the million dollar question for me.
Rusty's or CavFab

both great price point. Appear the be the strong of all the HD hinged tailgate carriers.

Rusty's comes e and powder coated, Cav fab bare.

would love to hear from any Rusty's fans!
Sponsored