Sponsored

Looking for the best Tire Carrier for 40"

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
Everyone that has a frame mounted tire carrier with 40's please post pictures and provide a short review.

Does it rattle?
Installation issues? (none if taken to a shop :))
Etc....

I have the DV8 RBJL-02 (See previous thread for installation issues, etc.)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/dv8-rbjl-02-frame-mounted-tire-carrier-bumper.28039/

DV8 advertised it will carry up to a 42" wheel. I am calling BS because it won't carry a 40 without rattling, sagging, scratching paint, etc. I have Fuel Zephyr -3.5 offset wheels w/40" Cooper STT Pros. It would probably be fine with a 35". I have decided to replace it with something else whatever it cost.

I prefer an Adventure series and am leaning toward the LOD Destroyer or something similar.

Here are a few pics of my current setup. I won't go into much detail unless someone asks, but you can see the issues.

20190801_110326.jpg

20190801_110358.jpg

20190801_110423.jpg

20190801_110429.jpg
Sponsored

Yamablu_jlu

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Unix_Gawd

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
I like the JCR carrier. I guess I should have mentioned I prefer an adventure series. The LOD Destroyer looks nice as well. They say the rotopax wont work with a 40" tire, but the brackets seem to be quite flexible.

I prefer to hear from someone who has one of these two carriers before I decide to pull the trigger.

Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I have the DV8 bumper and carrier and mine is straight up and down. Be sure you have the bumper adjusted correctly to straighten the tire. Mine is flush on the tailgate and I have 40's also.

BDJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I can only offer my experience with a JK, but hopefully this can help you. I ran a very heavy 37 wheel/tire combo that is heavier than most 40 combos.

Untitled.png

I spent a lot of time researching and checking out rear bumper/tire carriers and LoD seemed to be the best and beefiest design. There were no install issues, it never bent or sagged, but it did rattle. LoD has very specific install instructions to minimize or eliminate rattle and I followed them to a T. But you put enough weight back there and it's going to rattle no matter what you do, maybe not initially, but after a few wheeling trips and the tolerances start to loosen up.

My friends with the genright carrier or the evo carrier never had ANY issues. I think those types of designs are just superior solutions, plus they let you use whatever rear bumper you want (or no rear bumper at all), and move the spare up higher to increase departure angle. I went with LoD because maybe like you, I did not want to drill into the body of my jeep. But I'm going to suck it up on my JL and go with the genright carrier. I'm done messing with frame/bumper mounted stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Unix_Gawd

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the DV8 bumper and carrier and mine is straight up and down. Be sure you have the bumper adjusted correctly to straighten the tire. Mine is flush on the tailgate and I have 40's also.
Not sure which one U have. I have the one that is in 2 pieces, RBJL-02, so one person can easily lower the tire to the ground. Problem is the two pieces dont line up and over time have gotten worse. I have tried placing rubber between them, etc and it has steadily gotten worse. I just think the 40 is too big for this carrier.

OP
OP
Unix_Gawd

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOD always tends to make quality but I haven't heard much on their JL tire carrier.
Is that one of those new LOD sliding racks on your jeep?

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I've been wanting to inquire about this subject, so perfect timing!

Rusty's also has one for a 40. It's somewhat similar to the EVO, but it has an additional flat section on the tailgate that requires additional holes.

While I recall the EVO originally saying it's 40 capable, I've noticed that they derated it. It also has a reputation for rusting, since they don't e-coat it before powdercoating, and they can't get the powdercoating inside.

Crawler Conceptz is supposed to have their's sometime, and I recall their goal was to make it 40 capable. I don't know.

No real opinion yet of Motobiilt. Their's seems similar to the EVO, so they may be more optimistic on it's capabilities.

I keep coming back to the Genright, but it's pricey. I like that it's lightweight, but it would be a pain in the butt opening it up. The way the tire mounts doesn't seem secure, but I haven't seen on in person. Everyone who has one seems to be happy with it.